TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does your steering wheel angle match your autopilot icon angle?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sorka, Sep 25, 2016.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

#1 sorka, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    I recently had my steering wheel removed and put back on to track down an intermittent vibration.

I noticed sometime after that that my steering wheel angle doesn't match the steering angle of the auto pilot icon.

It's about 3 degrees counterclockwise to the AP steering icon.

I'm wondering if this is off by a single tooth. I'd be able to tell if I knew how many splines the steering wheel shaft has. If it has between 30 and 40 splines, then it's off by just about one spline.

Anyone else have their angles match or mismatch like mine?

[​IMG]

Notice how the AP icon angle is perfectly level while the steering wheel itself is tilted to the left. This is on a straight section.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

#2 sorka, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Hmm. It's more like 4 degrees off (just measured it). 360/4 = 90, so the shaft would have to have closer to 90 splines which is a lot.

3. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

mine is a hairline off, (from the factory) but never bothered doing anything about it.

4. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

From the angle of the wheel in the photo, it does look like its off by one spline. I assume the front wheels are pointing straight in the pic.

5. slazhole

slazhole Member

I have a similar issue and taking it to Tesla next week. Not sure if it's the steering wheel or the alignment? When I straighten the steering wheel, the car goes right.

6. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

@slazhole if the vehicle tracks straight with the wheel off center, then veers when wheel is straight. Its normally the wheel. The normal fix is to get the wheel as close as posible, then wheel align and reset the steering electronics

• Informative x 1