Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Barrier for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey @noshadow, I found this site who sells it and one person left a review saying it makes a lot of noise. The company says they may have not installed it properly. Does yours rattle or make noise?

View attachment 651310

No noise for me, though my headrest has always squeeked over bumps even without the barrier attached. A little lubricant works well. But the actual barrier does not rattle or make any noise.

This looks great. Is it easy to add/remove on the go? Or do you leave it on most of the time. Looks like the headrests need to be raised when it’s installed? Also, where’d you get the mats for the backs of your seats and trunk?
The mats came from Tesmanian. Mine just showed up at the house today. I'm pretty sure Tesmanian is the only place you can get the back seat cover mats.

@noshadow - Fabulous solution! I just traded my M3 for an MY and soon realized it doesn't accommodate 2 crates for my mid sized (50lb) Australian Shepherds. But how do I keep them from leaping out when I open the hatch? It would work if your dogs will reliably wait until you tell them it's OK to jump - which isn't *always* the case with my "wild child" pups. For anyone else with this problem, I found this post on M3 thread. Modification to turn M3 trunk (w/ back seats down) into a dog crate?

It uses a full gate between the rear seats and cargo compartment. With the rear seats folded down you can load/unload them via the rear passengers doors. It doesn't look as elegant, but solves my problem. Investigating Vario (crash rated) gates now...

@noshadow - Fabulous solution! I just traded my M3 for an MY and soon realized it doesn't accommodate 2 crates for my mid sized (50lb) Australian Shepherds. But how do I keep them from leaping out when I open the hatch? It would work if your dogs will reliably wait until you tell them it's OK to jump - which isn't *always* the case with my "wild child" pups. For anyone else with this problem, I found this post on M3 thread. Modification to turn M3 trunk (w/ back seats down) into a dog crate?

It uses a full gate between the rear seats and cargo compartment. With the rear seats folded down you can load/unload them via the rear passengers doors. It doesn't look as elegant, but solves my problem. Investigating Vario (crash rated) gates now...

Eventually you need to open "something" to let the dog out, whether it be a gate or door, so you're going to have an issue either way. I just stand behind the hatch and open it while I'm there. I can block/grab the dog if she wants to jump out. Though, having two pups I bet this would be a lot harder. But you're going to need to let them out of something eventually, so you'll have the issue no matter what.

I've been working on impulse control with my pup since she was 10 weeks, something I'm proud of, so she has a solid "wait" command that I can be pretty reliant on, but even so, if we're in a high traffic area, I won't open the hatch until I'm standing at the back of the car.

The other thing you can do is to just keep the dogs leash on them and attach it to an anchor point on the back of the rear seats, so if you open the hatch, they're still attached to something.

With that "hack" you really can't use the back seats. You'd still need to open your back door to then open the gate, so there's still the risk of them squeezing out. Aussies can be pretty quick and squirmy ;) To be honest, reaching over to leash them while they're in the "hatch" from the back door is going to be a pain in the ass.

A variogate won't fit either (I've tried to measure it).

I still think the best bet is just going with a VarioBarrier HR, and if you're in a high risk area, just climb into the back seats (like you would anyway if you did the hack) and leash them up from inside first, attach to the barrier or anchor point, and then open the hatch. Then you can grab the leashes, and unlatch them when they're secured in your hand.

Eventually you need to open "something" to let the dog out, whether it be a gate or door, so you're going to have an issue either way. I just stand behind the hatch and open it while I'm there. I can block/grab the dog if she wants to jump out. Though, having two pups I bet this would be a lot harder. But you're going to need to let them out of something eventually, so you'll have the issue no matter what.

I've been working on impulse control with my pup since she was 10 weeks, something I'm proud of, so she has a solid "wait" command that I can be pretty reliant on, but even so, if we're in a high traffic area, I won't open the hatch until I'm standing at the back of the car.

The other thing you can do is to just keep the dogs leash on them and attach it to an anchor point on the back of the rear seats, so if you open the hatch, they're still attached to something.

With that "hack" you really can't use the back seats. You'd still need to open your back door to then open the gate, so there's still the risk of them squeezing out. Aussies can be pretty quick and squirmy ;) To be honest, reaching over to leash them while they're in the "hatch" from the back door is going to be a pain in the ass.

A variogate won't fit either (I've tried to measure it).

I still think the best bet is just going with a VarioBarrier HR, and if you're in a high risk area, just climb into the back seats (like you would anyway if you did the hack) and leash them up from inside first, attach to the barrier or anchor point, and then open the hatch. Then you can grab the leashes, and unlatch them when they're secured in your hand.
Thanks for the ideas @noshadow! Agree with your logic. Although they've both been trained since they were pups, Aussies can be independent thinkers 🙃 Plan to experiment with fastening the barrier to the left rear passenger headrest and middle headrest. Then I could lower the right rear passenger seat and let them out via the right rear passenger door which has a smaller opening than the hatch.

Thanks for the ideas @noshadow! Agree with your logic. Although they've both been trained since they were pups, Aussies can be independent thinkers 🙃 Plan to experiment with fastening the barrier to the left rear passenger headrest and middle headrest. Then I could lower the right rear passenger seat and let them out via the right rear passenger door which has a smaller opening than the hatch.
Did you ever try this and get it to work?

Do you have a link to buy? I've looked online but can't find any with a product image that looks like yours.

This company is awesome.

There's also a version that attaches to mount points in the car, but it's bigger and would restrict access to the under-floor storage possibly.

The one I have requires the headrests to be up pretty high, but the attachments are really solid.

We don't do it so that the dog doesn't jump over, but for crash safety.

As a side note, when my dog was small enough as a puppy, we always had her in a crate in the back. So she's super used to staying back there and never has had access to the rest of the car, which is why she just weirdly doesn't try to climb over ever. But now that we have the barrier, even better.

The other good thing is, if we have food or something else in the car and leave her in there, she can't get to it.
Hi Noshadow: I have a tall standard poodle, 38+ long, with long legs. I'll be getting the Model Y over the summer. I don't want to put a safety crate like Ruffland on the backseat as it has to be huge to fit the dog. I see the barrier is a good safety solution -- what about the dog bouncing about in the cargo area in the event of an accident? Do you compromise due to the dog's size? And what if the car were rearended? Please tell me how the barrier has been working out wit your dog? thank you.

Hi Noshadow: I have a tall standard poodle, 38+ long, with long legs. I'll be getting the Model Y over the summer. I don't want to put a safety crate like Ruffland on the backseat as it has to be huge to fit the dog. I see the barrier is a good safety solution -- what about the dog bouncing about in the cargo area in the event of an accident? Do you compromise due to the dog's size? And what if the car were rearended? Please tell me how the barrier has been working out wit your dog? thank you.
The barrier is only good for:
1. Keeping the pup from flying through in event of a head-on collision
2. If stopped by police, I can tell the officer that the dog is secure back there (there's been sad occurances where officers have shot a dog in a car because they were afraid of it, so now I can confidently and immediately tell an officer that she's secured back there).

In terms of bouncing around, there's no helping that unless you get a crate that fits snug enough, which there are none that can fit the car and the dog for me. Rear-ended is also an issue, though the crumple zone should help. Overall, I'm not happy with the full safety with just the VarioBarrier HR (small) that we have. I know TNC makes a custom sized crate for the Model Y, but it still isn't maximizing the space. I know one of my dog's siblings using one in their Model Y, and they claim it's big enough, but it really isn't in my opinion.

The only solution is getting a larger car or building something very custom and foregoing one or two of the back seats. I'm thinking of possibly getting a Rivian R1S and then getting a proper Variocage. In the meantime, I'm taking a risk.

• Disagree
Reactions: LHC22
The barrier is only good for:
1. Keeping the pup from flying through in event of a head-on collision
2. If stopped by police, I can tell the officer that the dog is secure back there (there's been sad occurances where officers have shot a dog in a car because they were afraid of it, so now I can confidently and immediately tell an officer that she's secured back there).

In terms of bouncing around, there's no helping that unless you get a crate that fits snug enough, which there are none that can fit the car and the dog for me. Rear-ended is also an issue, though the crumple zone should help. Overall, I'm not happy with the full safety with just the VarioBarrier HR (small) that we have. I know TNC makes a custom sized crate for the Model Y, but it still isn't maximizing the space. I know one of my dog's siblings using one in their Model Y, and they claim it's big enough, but it really isn't in my opinion.

The only solution is getting a larger car or building something very custom and foregoing one or two of the back seats. I'm thinking of possibly getting a Rivian R1S and then getting a proper Variocage. In the meantime, I'm taking a risk.
Look into transk9usa.com I had the B50 model for my (now sold) 2022 jeep grand cherokee L, they are made better than the variocage, I did a bunch of research before ordering. I am actually selling the B50 now and looking for something to go into my MYP to hold our two 60 lb dogs. I may just end up with the back seat hammock from tesla but would rather put them in the cargo area in a secure crate. The transK9 are crash tested and rattle free.

We just picked up our Model Y this week. We have a mid-sized dog and put him in the back today where he has plenty of room. He quickly jumped over the rear seats :). So we want to put a pet barrier up to keep him in the back.

I found this one from weathertech but wanted to see if anyone has something they like in their Y already.

WeatherTech Pet Barriers - Custom Car Dividers | WeatherTech
I'd be very careful with this divider. It appears to be pressure mounted between the ceiling and the floor but you could easily put too much pressure on the glass sunroof and damage it.