Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog in trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a soon to be S60 owner and an curious if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to restrain dog (med size) in trunk area. The back seat backs are fairly high, so I doubt my wheaton will jump over, but I would be happier restraining her in the back area. Any suggestions or recs? Thanks. Diana

I would think an adjustable metal pet barrier, of which there are many, should work just fine. I have two large dogs, and need to fold down the rear seats to fit them. I use an adjustable metal barrier that I have to tension against the floor and bar between the two pano roofs. It works OK, but is not ideal. But my dogs are the type that will will tear anything down. With a smaller dog, who is not as bull headed as mine, I would think that you would be OK.

Want some extra dogs cheap?!?

Or just get a harness and use a caribbeaner (sp?) to clip it into the LATCH on the back of the middle seats.
I had a rope wrapped around the seat and clipped into the LATCH so my dog could hang out on the back seat, but should work if you want him/her in the trunk area.

I am a soon to be S60 owner and an curious if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to restrain dog (med size) in trunk area. The back seat backs are fairly high, so I doubt my wheaton will jump over, but I would be happier restraining her in the back area. Any suggestions or recs? Thanks. Diana

My Wheaten LOVES traveling in the trunk. Just make sure that HVAC controls are set for the intake of outdoor air, rather than automatic selection between the re-circulation and outside air intake. The air exhausted from the car through the vents in the trunk area, so when the air is recirculated the trunk area becomes warmer than the rest of the car. Once the ventilation set for the intake of outside air, the air in the trunk area is constantly replenished with the cooler air from the cabin. I also bought and use the shade for the hatch, which also helps to keep trunk area cool:

Tesla Rear Liftgate Sunshade

I also use Tesla trunk mat to make cleaning up after walks in the park a breeze:

Tesla All-Weather Model S Rear Trunk Set

How's the fit and which size are you using? I'm thinking about getting something like this or the all weather Tesla mat. Thanks.

Got mine on Amazon for $19.95 and it fits really good. Here's the description (price went up a bit) you'll have to search Amazon.

OxGord Pet Seat Cover with Thick HD Fabric Waterproof and Washable Trunk Cargo Liner Bed Floor Mat 64" X 52". It also came with another piece (attaches by Velcro) that hangs out the back so your bumper is protected if your dog jumps in and out.

Last edited:
Got mine on Amazon for $19.95 and it fits really good. Here's the description (price went up a bit) you'll have to search Amazon.

OxGord Pet Seat Cover with Thick HD Fabric Waterproof and Washable Trunk Cargo Liner Bed Floor Mat 64" X 52". It also came with another piece (attaches by Velcro) that hangs out the back so your bumper is protected if your dog jumps in and out.
Thanks, sounds like a good deal.

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I also have a Wheaton...actuallly a Wheaton/Goldondoodle rescue who loves going in the car, too. She gets SO DIRTY that I also bought the AWM but worry that she might jump over the back seats, so feel I need to restrain her. I think a simple teather will probably work fine...and the back seats actually come up much higher than in mu current SUV and she doesn't jump that. So, we should be fine. Thanks for the sunshade and air circulation suggestion; great idea. I actually don't plan to take her in the car that often, if I can help it, but it's bound to happen now and again and with her loving it so much, I hate to say no. Happy New Year!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for your replies. All very helpful....Happy New Year! Picking up my car in Boston right after the New Year...can't wait!

Just to clarify, I do not think it is physically possible for a dog sized similarly to Wheaten to jump from the trunk area over the back seats - there is just not enough clearance between the back seats and sloping roof of the car. My Wheaten never was able to do it, although she attempted few times right after I got Model X (the car is now more than 2.5 years old). It is also worth noting that newer cars have larger headrests, and the clearance between the rear seats and roof is significantly reduced as compared to the older cars like mine.

All in all, don't worry about your dog jumping over the back seats from the trunk - she will never be able to do it (unless she learn how to fold down the rear seat back :smile:)

Just to clarify, I do not think it is physically possible for a dog sized similarly to Wheaten to jump from the trunk area over the back seats - there is just not enough clearance between the back seats and sloping roof of the car. My Wheaten never was able to do it, although she attempted few times right after I got Model X (the car is now more than 2.5 years old). It is also worth noting that newer cars have larger headrests, and the clearance between the rear seats and roof is significantly reduced as compared to the older cars like mine.

All in all, don't worry about your dog jumping over the back seats from the trunk - she will never be able to do it (unless she learn how to fold down the rear seat back :smile:)

Right but you also would want protection on the back of the rear seats since it's likely they will want to see what you're doing up front...they're dogs after all. I actually use a hammock style in the back seat for my Labradoodle and hook him into the seat belt snap.

I have a Yellow Lab. My solution was to line the entire trunk with tan carpet than matches the Telsa carpet. The carpet is a magnet for dog hair (Labs shed lots of hair) and so no hair gets beyond the trunk carpet.

The dog always rides in the trunk and there's no way she can climb over the rear seat. So when she wants to see what's going on she just sits and look over the rear seat back.

DSC_3496.JPG

DSC_3493.JPG

DSC_3499_1.JPG