Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Mode Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was at agility dog trial today. Weather outside was mid to upper 80's and sunny.
Set dog mode to 74. Great feature. Puppy liked not being outside.
However in the 5 hours I was there, the battery drained about 12-14%.
Anyone else have readings from using dog mode for any significant period of time?

The car stayed cool but the sun was beating through the glass roof which got toasty.
I'm wondering whether a roof shade makes any sense for the few days each summer it would be in use.
Your thoughts?

First thought is - its cheap enough to try whether you buy one or DIY. My MY is on order so I have only a test drive under my belt (ie=useless).

My missus is heat averse - so if the sun/heat is an issue driving - sunshade will happen. If i was concerned about heat while parked, I’d simply DIY a sunshade for the top of the glass while I’m away.

I cannot believe that you tried that. Only 14% left at the end is not too bad, but then how do you get home?

A sunshade will help a lot. You can also park in the shade and it is the same thing.

Bring an extension cord and plug into someone's outlet, then you can leave dog mode on for a long time.

That's pretty good. I love dog mode. I think it's perfect for dog competitions, search and rescue, etc. where you keep the dogs in the car.

I would suggest getting a windshield sun shade and possibly ceiling glass shade, something like that Tesmanian has. That'll help even more with efficiency.

Question since you know dogs and keeping them in cars, what are the limits for dogs in terms of temperature? I mean, my dog would love it to be cranked down to 40 degrees f, but realistically, what would they be comfortable with at a higher end?

What are the limits for dogs in terms of temperature? I mean, my dog would love it to be cranked down to 40 degrees f, but realistically, what would they be comfortable with at a higher end?

Best temperature for different dog breeds | Blog | Nimble Pet App

You sort of answered your own question - dogs like it colder than humans. Since they are probably comfortable in your home you can assume that such a temperature is fine in the car as well.

75F looks like the ideal in terms of minimizing battery usage.

I've known dogs that do not like 68F in the winter, so maybe depends on the amount of fur.

Reactions: noshadow
First thought is - its cheap enough to try whether you buy one or DIY. My MY is on order so I have only a test drive under my belt (ie=useless).

My missus is heat averse - so if the sun/heat is an issue driving - sunshade will happen. If i was concerned about heat while parked, I’d simply DIY a sunshade for the top of the glass while I’m away.

I have never enjoyed convertibles or open roof cars. In the summer, the sun beating on me, just made me sweat and be uncomfortable. I was concerned about the Y's glass roof, but so far I haven't noticed the roof or sun, except when parked. The headliner seems to get warm but never felt anything as the driver. I use dog mode while parked even it the puppies aren't with me. First it's good practice and secondly, when I come back it feels great. Plus now I get to tease my wife about her car's lack of dog mode even though it's the primary dog mobile.

Reactions: Rcmpnc
I LOVE dog mode. I use it frequently, even when the dogs are not in the car. I do like the fact that getting in and out of the car doesn't shut down the climate.
In the winter, it's nice to return to a warm car.
In the summer, it's nice to return to a cool car.

How much range/battery does Dog mode use?
I took a before and after picture, when using dog mode yesterday.
I was going to be sitting at a dog agility trial and I knew it was going to get warm.
I did put a windshield screen in front.
I also played Cat's Quest and Beach Buggy Racing while I was waiting, as well as listening to the radio.
Not sure what the drain is for each, but not suspecting much.

After 5 hours, I'd lost about 10% of the battery.
The Starting temp was 74 at 9:30AM. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.
View attachment 665228

I then took the after picture at about 2:30 PM. Not sure what I did differently, but at least the picture is clearer. The high temp the car registered was 92.
Dog mode set to 74.
View attachment 665229

As this was just one recorded test, it is not a double blind study with complete scientific results, but it's a reasonable approximation.
Plus I haven't done a record test in the winter to see how well the heat pump does.
Hope this helps folks.