Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs in a Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its just a car - enjoy them with all the hair and drool...it can always be detailed.
IMG_0344.JPG

We have a 30 lb. Golden doodle and drove around with him in the back with the rear seats down. I had problems with him falling forward off the seat under sudden braking, so I built him this box. It's a pretty basic box, but it anchors using the child seat anchor in one corner and the buckle that normally locks the seat up for passengers in the other. It's very secure (Insane mode tested) so I thought some other Tesla owners might want to copy the design. Our dog was anxious driving around without the box, but loves driving around with it.

IMG_3120.jpg
IMG_3122.jpg
IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg
IMG_3137.jpg
IMG_3134.jpg

I haven't got my Model S yet (it arrives next week), but I bought the Tesla bootliner (A$ 260) and got a divider grille from eBay (about $60 including shipping to WA) to keep the dog off the back seats. I also got the chrome boot sills from Tesla (another $260) to try to protect the back when the dog jumps in and out.

Just in case you didn't know, Tesla now has an official brochure for accessories with Australian prices, so if you get that from them you don't need to ask for price quotes on every item. I still wish they'd open a store on the Australian Tesla website though.

I haven't got my Model S yet (it arrives next week), but I bought the Tesla bootliner (A$ 260) and got a divider grille from eBay (about $60 including shipping to WA) to keep the dog off the back seats. I also got the chrome boot sills from Tesla (another $260) to try to protect the back when the dog jumps in and out.

I don't know how the chrome will protect, but you may find that you want to protect that too.

What I do is really simple, but it works well.

I keep a blanket just crumpled up and shoved over to the left, in the well area just inside the hatch. (My UPC lives there as well.) When my 50 pound yellow lab has to jump in or out of the hatch, to get into or out of her crate, I just cover the entire back edge of the car with the blanket. It takes literally less than 5 seconds to set up, and the same to put away, and it's probably a good idea to have a blanket in the car anyway.

I purchased a liner from US trunk liner. Gallery

It was on the pricey side, but I travel with my Rottie and French bulldog everyday to work. It was the design I was looking for. Easy to install and remove, and easy to clean. It has the option of a rubber anti slip dog mat and a vinyl roll out bumper protector. I recommend both.
The first one I received didn't fit right, but I contacted the company and they sent the correct one quickly!

I like the material it is made of because it has enough static to hold hair, even with the windows open, but it can still be wiped or vacummed off easily.

It just breaks my heart when doggies are seriously hurt.

Jumped or fell off a 4-5 foot retaining wall and evidently landed wrong. New Year's Eve afternoon. Dead ruined our plans for that evening, and a month of convalescence (including horrific near-fatal reaction to meds) showed he'd not heal, so off to splint-&-graft surgery. Poor fella. But 36 hours after surgery, he's already bouncing back and little to no more whimpering about the pain. He's a real Buddha and a real trooper.

23 months on, Borealis cannot leap any more - no more in and out of frunks, for example. We need to assist him in and out of most vehicles; the Tesla he usually can manage on his own. He has a custom ramp for negotiating other cars. He's on "short leash" for the rest of his life - not allowed to pursue snowshoe hares or squirrels in Alaska nor bunnies in Arizona. So he aged more quickly than he deserved - he and Aurora are about to turn 8 but he's probably about 2 or so years older, effectively, than his sister. His ineffable courteousness and good humor remain untouched.

Of all the many malamutes I've had or been privileged to know over the past 30 years - and all dogs are, of course, special in their own ways - Bobo stands head and shoulder above them all and always will.

I just got my Tesla recently and plan on driving from NC to MA for xmas and wanted to get something to transport my dog, plus have something to bring him around town to parks, etc. The OxGord cover as mentioned above looks like a great option but I ended up going for the 4Knines cover. It has a "hammock" mode that my dog seems to like so far. I put a video up trying it out for the first time. At first my dog is a bit nervous (first time in the car, he's used to sitting on the floor too) but he was quite content on the way back from the park.

Amazon: 4Knines Dog Seat Cover for Cars Trucks and SUVs - Non Slip Backing - Waterproof XL

Last edited by a moderator:
Aluminum dog crate for an aluminum car

It’s taken a while (a very long while) but I finished my custom aluminum dog crate for our Model S.

Dog Crate - 6.jpg

We got our MS in June 2013. One of the requirements was that it hold a crate for my German Shepherd Dog. I don’t like driving around with a dog loose in the car. I’ve built semi-custom crates for our other cars, but never one as nice or as elaborate as this one. My challenge was fitting a crate big enough for a GSD in the back of the Tesla. I built a number of mock ups out of foam core until I finally came up with one that works and seemed practical. Two years later it’s done.

Dog Crate - 1 (1).jpg

Dog Crate - 1.jpg

Dog Crate - 8.jpg

[video=vimeo;149924501]https://vimeo.com/149924501[/video]

Last edited: