Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs in a Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tobias "Tobey" Funke is the console captain or a (passenger) lap dog when the husband and I are both in the car. He likes to sleep and snore once the car gets moving.
DSC04827 copy.jpg
DSC04829 copy.jpg

Meet Bleu & Colby, the (moderately internet famous) Cheese Pups.

The not-so-casual observer will note the golden-retriever-color-matched interior leather...

Loved the video. The 29 weeks clip cracked me up. Is it Bleu or Colby that has trouble with the outside slippery track? My black lab hasn't taken a trip in the S yet, but he should match my black interior. :)

Alright, we did it. Meet Bleu & Colby, the (moderately internet famous) Cheese Pups. Trip to the dog park. Accelerated a bit much though, and one of the boys tried really hard to jump out when we were loading up at the park...

View attachment 106150View attachment 106151

The not-so-casual observer will note the golden-retriever-color-matched interior leather...

Your video is absurdly adorable! Thank you for sharing!

However, you are much braver than we are; our two Goldens--who are our children--do not get to enjoy the luxury of the Model S. They just have too much hair! (Though going with the 'golden-colored' interior is genius). The Subaru is reserved as their private limo service for now. :tongue:

For those of with larger breeds, do you use the trunk space with the rear seats up or down? Our 94 lb black lab-dane mix hasn't ridden in the S yet, but I want to be prepared with the right covering. I have thought about a dog harness that attaches to the seatbelt (I thought I saw that in this thread, but not seeing it right now), but then I have to be really careful with the leather. Thought I would see what you all have been doing. Some of the photos look like labs or retrievers in the trunk area, but I am not sure if they were perhaps younger/smaller ones back there. Thanks!

Our slightly over 100 lbs Alaskan Malamute male rides in the trunk with the seat up (see post #145 in this thread). Initially that was for our sanity, as in the car before he'd stick his head between ours and do his "heavy breathing and drooling" routine, which was very annoying... We did not think it would work out. Turns out he loves it. It is his own private den, he can get up and look out front, side and back, and keeps his sister at bay. He really likes riding in the car and going places.

Obviously there is hair everywhere in the trunk, I never found a convenient way of protecting the sides. The heavy weathertech-style trunk mat works great for the floor though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
We usually take BoomX to walk while supercharging my Musky ;-). we fold down the back seat and use an old sofa slip cover to provide boomx ample space to sit while we ride to SC. Sort of trained him to not sniff or lick any any non covered part of the car. so far he has behaved well and sits tight the whole ride. One hour and both my puppies are fully charged :)
IMG_2200.JPG IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2158.JPG

Reactions: Cyclone and ModelX
For those of with larger breeds, do you use the trunk space with the rear seats up or down? Our 94 lb black lab-dane mix hasn't ridden in the S yet, but I want to be prepared with the right covering. I have thought about a dog harness that attaches to the seatbelt (I thought I saw that in this thread, but not seeing it right now), but then I have to be really careful with the leather. Thought I would see what you all have been doing. Some of the photos look like labs or retrievers in the trunk area, but I am not sure if they were perhaps younger/smaller ones back there. Thanks!
IMHO, placing big dogs in the trunk area can be problematic -- airflow that most dogs prefer is a challenge in the rear seat anyway, let alone getting it into the trunk area up over our high back headrests. Of course, the trunk then also has all that glass to compound the possible heat challenge. For my 65lb Golden, if I was insistent upon using the trunk area for her, I'd only do it with the rear seats down for those reasons and have to then cover that very large area. ...instead, several of us put our larger dogs in the back seat which is covered to protect the leather (a number of options from a sling-type device to a custom Canine Protector which I have had now in 3 different vehicles including my MS -- read upthread), and easily provides you an option to fasten a harness to one of the 3 seatbelt latches if that's what you also want to do.

Last edited: