Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing the unthinkable. Looking at a non-Tesla to replace my S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main complaint about my S is phantom drain.
It loses about a percent a day while in my garage.
My wife's Kia Soul EV, by contrast, sits at 80% charged for weeks.
Does anyone have phantom drain experience with the newer EV models hitting the road?
Particularly the Mustang Mach E.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Our egolf with an unmanaged (heated/cooled) battery had no drain for an extended time.

Not sure on our Tesla. We drive it often, and have a huge surplus of electricity (solar).

The money you are planning to spend on a car rarely driven to escape phantom drain issues is puzzling. Just leave it plugged in?
I am not replacing it because of it, I am shopping cars and the drain is a mark against.
It almost feels like there is something wrong with it, even when the garage is 72 degrees it is humming and making noises.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Model 3s lost 2-3 miles a day as long as they are not accessed with the tesla app, summon standby is off, Sentry mode is off, and they are not woken up by third party app polling.

If you have home charging, this is an absolute non issue 2-3 miles a day is nothing as far as energy usage, and you wont need to run sentry mode in your garage.

if you dont have home charging or need to use sentry mode all the time, at that point its not "phantom" drain (which means you dont know where it comes from), its "Im keeping the car awake with sentry mode" drain, so either dont do that, buy a dedicated dashcam and install it, or buy an EV that doesnt have that feature (which is the exact same thing as not using it on a model 3).

There is nothing "unthinkable" about replacing one car with another, and certainly nothing wrong with considering some other brand car. We dont marry cars or car brands "till death do we part", so I dont get this thread title, other than a desire to make people click on it.

I do not know how to solve your drain problem. On the other hand, there will be a pletora of New EV's coming onto the market very soon. Love my Model 3, but love to look at what's coming....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StjRZzXCO8s

Reactions: Ormond
As an update.
Yes I rarely drive, I am retired.
I charged my S to 81% on November 29.
For the next six days it was not driven and the charger was attached to my wife's Kia Soul EV because she drove it a few times over that time period.
Last night I attached the charger to the S and this morning I see that it in those six days, with it sitting in the garage, I added 15.85 kWhs at a cost of $3.31 (pricey electricity in New England).
That means my model S uses $15 worth of electricity a month doing nothing.
Yes $15 is nothing considering the cost of the car.
But Elon is trying to save the planet and burning almost 80 kWhs a month for nothing, is unacceptable.

Reactions: kavyboy
Have you replaced the 12v battery yet? It may cause the extra drain at the end of its lifespan. Also, if you have Sentry mode enabled when you park, that will consume a lot.
My car is a 2016 so no sentry mode available. The 12 volt battery was replaced once under warranty when it showed up as bad. I have it in energy saving mode and I don't ping it with request.

I don't think you would see that kind of drain on a new Tesla. That's right around 111w drain by my quick math. Basically a couple incandescent bulbs.

That said, you've had "a" Tesla experience. If you did it again you'd certainly have a different Tesla experience. But having a different manufacturer's experience could be pretty fun too. I'd very much like to have a Rivian SUV, or maybe truck. I think that'll be our next vehicle possibly even before we're done with the Model Y.

There's no harm in exploring options.