Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While true FSD might not be right around the corner I figured that Tesla will continue to add features to those with FSD that will be great to have in the meantime. For things like stoplights and such that I believe is coming out soon, I think it was worth saving the extra money on getting it now. The savings covered my sales tax.

Anyone that gets FSD will get the AP3 hardware.

Like I paid $3K for FSD, and I expect to be upgraded. I don't know when, but I expect it will be within 3-6 months.

As to offering it free to HW2.5 owners? No, I don't think that's going to happen. History has shown that Tesla doesn't feel compelled to fulfill promises with old hardware. AP1 never accomplished what it was promised, but they moved on.

With the upcoming release Tesla managed to get EAP to where they're comfortable stopping development on it. That's going to be it for any EAP owner unless the owner upgrades.

This is the time to pull the lever for FSD.

If you wait till features for FSD come out you'll find it going higher as people will wake up, and realize they don't have something needed for something new.

It's all about demand.
Will Hardware 3.0 improve the performance of cars without FSD? The current hardware seems to be sufficient for EAP. It might be worth it to pay $2000 for FSD now if you can upgrade to Hardware 3.0 for free later. But if FSD never comes to fruition and Hardware 3.0 provides no benefit over our current Hardware 2.5, then that $2000 is wasted.

Issue just got fixed for me, I was able to add FSD for $2k + tax.

How did they fix it? I have been back and forth with support and service center purchased EAP for 5K last year for AP2 MS. Still shows up as 3k in my tesla account. This was my last reply "it was determined by our engineering team that the reason why the vehicle in question was not reflecting the discounted pricing is because the vehicle in question is ineligible for for the discounted pricing. Reason being that post delivered vehicles are not eligible for the discounted pricing" In the queue again calling tesla support # :(

How did they fix it? I have been back and forth with support and service center purchased EAP for 5K last year for AP2 MS. Still shows up as 3k in my tesla account. This was my last reply "it was determined by our engineering team that the reason why the vehicle in question was not reflecting the discounted pricing is because the vehicle in question is ineligible for for the discounted pricing. Reason being that post delivered vehicles are not eligible for the discounted pricing" In the queue again calling tesla support # :(
Sorry, I have no idea what they did. I contacted them via support chat before 9am today, then just before 4pm I got the option. It wasn't some quick thing they could fix in 5m.

If you accepted delivery before 2/28, then the answer you got from support is bogus. Go look on Tesla's blog for more details.

I see the Support tab is now back up on the site. It was missing earlier today around 2:15pm PT when I tried to find it -- checking all over the site and in fact pointed someone to just a few days ago.

I just checked my account and it's still not showing that I can check out yet with the upgrade; but if you contacted them around 9am, I'm hours later so probably my fix will be too. BTW Tesla's blog says "so current prices are valid until March 18"; note "until" so sale price ends tonight at midnight. I'm glad we finally got moving on it today and I'm on the list once I can pay.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe it’s a 10x improvement.

The rate of improvement in FSD is supposedly exponential in nature. This would suggest that the rate of improvement should be very remarkable in the near future. We shall see soon enough!

Not really sure about that. It looks more like a square root curve.
0*hY-PMxeQFvBuwbTj

Sorry, I have no idea what they did. I contacted them via support chat before 9am today, then just before 4pm I got the option. It wasn't some quick thing they could fix in 5m.

If you accepted delivery before 2/28, then the answer you got from support is bogus. Go look on Tesla's blog for more details.

Thanks..Now support tells me because I am the 3rd owner of the car I am not eligible for the discount. They are making this up as they go..Driving me nuts.

So this is the final answer from tesla engineering. I just bought it for 3k

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla.

Per your escalation and a request to purchase FSD at the discounted price of $2000 we received a reply from your engineering team stating that you are not the original purchaser of the EAP on this vehicle. You bought this with the EAP already in tact from a private owner. Thus Tesla can't honor the discounted pricing for you. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Tesla Team
KJSjkd5aq9FK8e8E6ITKnz5WS9RZ_mfNixC-l_kUrSE4XEUsOjedS7gnepybTPSf6kdTNLtPIJj_CsvdcI2_2KQfetgmXnSZuVhfeNY7Fs3KKo1mIyr06wfua-iWmT6ncjuI56lDlyPaVr27aNfOmIvSMyjQ3Q=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Runnergirl
That was per Elon, make of it what you will. Not sure if neural networks = FSD???? (Not sarcasm per the usual tone of this site, I really don’t know!)

I saw the quote and he was talking about data. I can see why he is saying the data is increasing exponentially right now since the number of cars Tesla has sold has so far followed an exponential curve. So in that context, if you can scale the data coming in exponentially, then the accuracy curve will look more exponential.