Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it comical to see the number of people who make comments about tweets and conference calls being binding contracts. As someone who has spent the last 20 years of my career dealing with contract law I can assure you that these comments are complete nonsense. The prevailing paragraph that will have final authority over conflicts between written statements in the purchase agreements and oral tweets or conference calls is contained in everyone’s purchase agreement where it states:

Governing Law; Integration; Assignment. The terms of this Agreement are governed by, and to be interpreted according to, the laws of the State in which we are licensed to sell motor vehicles that is nearest to your address indicated on your Vehicle Configuration. Prior agreements, oral statements, negotiations, communications or representations about the Vehicle sold under this Agreement are superseded by this Agreement. Terms relating to the purchase not expressly contained herein are not binding. We may assign this Agreement at our discretion to one of our affiliated entities.

In any case, the majority of posters on this forum are reasonable people who generally agree that Tesla will make good on those who purchased FSD and offer them a free hardware upgrade. They are not insisting it won’t happen, but rather taking issue with the lack of clarity and transparency over how it is being communicated throughout the organization, outside of tweets and investor notes.

There continue to be a few posters who ignore all of the conflicting information and bark the same tired arguments over and over again about why it’s absolutely guaranteed that HW3 is part of the upgrade, no questions asked. While these folks will never admit it, their over the top arguments are really not intended to convince any of us. They are really trying to convince themselves by knocking down anyone who doesn’t agree with them.

Exactly.

The groupthink seems to be that Elon will make good on his statement and that folks who purchased FSD will get the chip upgrade. What if Elon gets ousted as the CEO? I'm not saying that it is likely. What you feel just as confident about getting the upgrade if Tesla was run by another CEO?

Yes I would.

Because literally every reason Elon made the promise would still exist.

(The fact they can't implement all the promised FSD features on HW2.x.... the fact they spent years and a bunch of money developing the hardware and software around HW3 in the first place.... the fact new cars will be coming with HW3 soon and it'd be far more expensive to NOT upgrade 2.x cars and have to develop and support totally different sets of software for the different models, etc....)

That's on top of the fact a company making a public statement that a buyer materially relies on to make a purchase doesn't get out of that statement if the CEO changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: whatthe2
Yes I would.

Because literally every reason Elon made the promise would still exist.

Agreed.

(The fact they can't implement all the promised FSD features on HW2.x....

FYI, Musk did say they could implement FSD on the less capable hardware but it makes the software development much more difficult (read more time-consuming). Hardware 3.0 will speed the maturation of FSD greatly.

This is why I expect FSD to develop much more quickly than the naysayers are projecting.

I wasn't able to complete the purchase (wants me to pay for AP too, even though I already have EAP). Please post if you're successful.

Just did it 20 minutes ago successfully. (I had EAP. It let me purchase FSD for $2k.) Charge went through. Now when I go to my account and click on details for my car it shows "Enhanced Autopilot" (which it did before) and "Full Self-Driving Capability" (which obviously was not there before).

OK so now...

When are full self-driving features going to be released?

and

When are they going to upgrade me to HW3?

OK so now...

and

If you think those questions are screaming for an answer, wait until next week when people wake up and find out they can no longer buy AutoPilot or Full Self Driving at todays prices! The roar of whining will be deafening!;)

Reactions: SCW-Greg
From a business standpoint it doesn’t make sense for them not to honor the hw3 upgrade. The CEO had stated multiple times that they would. Let’s assume the hardware is 500 and the time to service it is another 500. They’re still ahead $1K easily. In addition, they’ll get thousands of free beta testers. What if they wouldn’t honor the upgrade, the loss is a lot more.

Reactions: StealthP3D
If you think those questions are screaming for an answer, wait until next week when people wake up and find out they can no longer buy AutoPilot or Full Self Driving at todays prices! The roar of whining will be deafening!;)

Seriously, if you don't read forums or follow the company, you'd have no idea that for a couple weeks there you could have added EAP+FSD for $5k. Why didn't they send this out as an email blast to current owners?

You must have missed the part where Musk admitted it was a mistake to lower the prices and they would raise them back up on Monday.

I know that, but when they first made the mistake, presumably it was a plan, not a mistake, and the plan was to give EAP+FSD to previous decliners for $5k, and if that was the plan maybe they should have, I don't know, let those people know. Communication is not their forte.

David

They don't want us to buy it this cheap, but they made it that price because so many people were annoyed by what they did. It was a knee jerk reaction to appease people that created more problems. Now they are going to walk it back and no one knows what the price will increase to. They seem very confident that FSD is worth a lot more though and I believe that is because it works better than anything on the market to date. That doesn't mean that it's worth it for most drivers.

I know that, but when they first made the mistake, presumably it was a plan, not a mistake, and the plan was to give EAP+FSD to previous decliners for $5k, and if that was the plan maybe they should have, I don't know, let those people know. Communication is not their forte.

When I make a major purchase, like a house or a car, I want that product to be as good as it can be. It seems the world is full of companies that compensate for the lack of quality, design and engineering built into their products by being good at appeasing people. It seems many people are willing to let above average communication appease serious product faults. I despise crappy cars and shoddy houses, I just want a good product. If I wanted communication, I would have bought an iPhone or married a therapist. No thank-you! Apologies to any members with a therapist for a spouse. ;)

David

I think the people who wouldn't find out about the sale/lower price would also not find out about the drop in price. So better off not mentioning it.

Like what would the email blast say. FYI we lowered prices on the car you just bought a bunch but oh and btw EAP and FSD are on sale. Plus given how good they are at tracking things they probably would have ended up sending that to a bunch of people who already bought FSD and pissing them off :)

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
When I make a major purchase, like a house or a car, I want that product to be as good as it can be. It seems the world is full of companies that compensate for the lack of quality, design and engineering built into their products by being good at appeasing people. It seems many people are willing to let above average communication appease serious product faults. I despise crappy cars and shoddy houses, I just want a good product. If I wanted communication, I would have bought an iPhone or married a therapist. No thank-you! Apologies to any members with a therapist for a spouse. ;)

Nice straw man... Tesla shouldn't be expected to communicate well because there are companies who communicate well but build bad products.

Just did it 20 minutes ago successfully. (I had EAP. It let me purchase FSD for $2k.) Charge went through. Now when I go to my account and click on details for my car it shows "Enhanced Autopilot" (which it did before) and "Full Self-Driving Capability" (which obviously was not there before).

Well damn, not sure why it's not working for me. :( Thanks for sharing the results.

If you are having an issue going to checkout to pay for your upgrade in your account, I contacted Customer Support by phone a little while ago because my account shows the FSD upgrade at $2K available (previously bought EAP), let's me click on the upgrade but won't let me check out (circle with X over it when I move my cursor to check out). I just hung up with them and thought I'd pass on that my Support rep said they are experiencing some issues with some accounts as they are doing account maintenance now. He said he had 4 other calls before me with this same issue. If you want to make sure you can take advantage of the FSD upgrade at the 1/2 off price before it ends on Monday, I'd suggest calling them and getting your account notated. My support person said he's sent an email to the account people so they will have it in writing to fix and they will send an email to me letting me know it's been fixed, if not today then tomorrow, but I will be able to update for the $2K.