Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here we are, almost two years later, with exactly one input-control feature released in the FSD package that isn't available to people who only have EAP. The current "FSD beta" given to social media influencers adds what is effectively Nav on Autopilot for local usage, with the rollout to those blessed and connected enough to be chosen for the Early Access Program probably coming in a month or two, and those of us who are just regular people are probably going to get the update in 5-8 months, if I had to guess.

The other difference is the stop light and traffic light control, which having tried it out in my car (using 3 month trial of FSD), makes a huge difference in how practical it is to use AP in local streets.
Tesla Changes Autopilot Feature Availability | Current Automotive

The autosteer on city streets is still missing and will complete the rest of the puzzle (at least for a level 2 system), by making the car able to make turns at traffic control.

side note: thanks to jjrandorin for edit on title, without that context it's a bit confusing at first glance. I would jump at a chance for a $2k upgrade to FSD (from current standard AP), as I'm sure a lot of people would also!

Reactions: jjrandorin
I feel good about getting it for $2k still. It was basically entertainment money to see what happens. We'll see. I never expected a faster timeline.

I'll also note that I was one of the ones who jumped for the $3k deal in the first few days before it dropped to $2k. Tesla did right by everyone there and refunded the $1k. They definitely don't always do the right thing, but it's been an extremely fast growing company so I know there are going to be ups and downs.

What I really wish I had done would have been to put the $2k in stock though, or better yet done a cash out refinance on the house :)

As I prepare to sell my ‘18 M3 LR RWD, I’m happy I upgraded to FSD for $2K, if only to get the hardware upgrade and potential future capability to raise the resale price. However, it is painful to look at what it will cost if I want to maintain the same FSD “functionality” in a new ‘21 MY but I guess the price could go up further upon future releases...

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I feel ok about the whole situation but I am growing tired of hearing Elon’s never ending FSD is coming soon nonsense. It’s always coming soon! Going to be fire! Going to be amazing! We still have a “smart” summon that can barely even find me in the parking lot if I can even get it to wake up in the time it takes me to just walk to the car. Also it’s irritating that only those who have been chosen to receive the latest and greatest are “influencers”. He seemed to indicate more of us would have it before the end of 2020 and I didn’t really see that.

So some folks got offered FSD for 2 grand instead of 10? To be honest, I wouldn't even pay 1. I have it now (3-month deal), and it's not even close to being ready for street use. It's a lot better on freeway/highways, but AP is enough. We're at least a decade from true FSD in large cities, and even longer in cities like mine. I'd probably considered it once it's fully operational, but it'd be several cars from my current one. The only gimmick people really pay for is the summon, and like somebody else already said, it doesn't even work well. I'm probably not going to use it again, before it expires in 2-1/2 months more :).

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
So some folks got offered FSD for 2 grand instead of 10?

No... 2k instead of 3k or 4k

This was back when EAP was 5k and FSD was 3k at time of buying the car. (and each went up 1k if you didn't buy it with the car)

Then they were gonna switch to the new system where EAP went away as did the "old" FSD, replaced by basic AP and new FSD (which had all of the useful stuff from EAP in it).

There was a brief like 10 day sale.

Everyone got mad about it who had paid more than 2k because they were promised buying at time of car purchase would get them the cheapest price- Tesla pulled the sale... then apologized on twitter and said it was a mistake to do that and anyone who paid 3k would get a 1k refund.

Then when you asked for the refund they told you he didn't actually mean "anyone" just anyone who did it like the day before the sale.

That's Tesla for ya.

• Funny
Reactions: Zorg
So here’s my take on FSD, worth all of what you paid for my opinion.

FSDv1 hit a hard wall. They got pretty far down the path and realized it wasn’t ever going to do what they wanted.

Rather than suffer the embarrassment of a terrible release, and worse, suffer the technical debt of second-system effect ... they punted. That’s a hard call to make as it adds years to the timeline and basically makes all prior, well, everything - null and void.

So now we have an FSDv2 system that’s in alpha (I don’t care what they call it, a half dozen testers is alpha!). Timelines again are longer than hoped, but at least the alpha is showing promise.

We’re still sitting on the peak of inflated expectations. The trough of disillusionment is right around the corner once they go to wide beta.

Some of us will ride the slope, some won’t. I expect stock value to tank a bit in there, before settling in the plateau in about 24-36 months.

What each phase of that is worth and where you buy in (or don’t) — that’s wholly up to you.

I ride this tech curve for a living every day, so a $5k bet to watch and experience it unfold was OK. If it’a a total loss, I’ve done worse. Like, sold some of my TSLA at the split. That’s approaching a 7-digit mistake.

736C73DF-0C9F-4C15-9BF6-5DD766127257.jpeg

So some folks got offered FSD for 2 grand instead of 10? To be honest, I wouldn't even pay 1. I have it now (3-month deal), and it's not even close to being ready for street use. It's a lot better on freeway/highways, but AP is enough. We're at least a decade from true FSD in large cities, and even longer in cities like mine. I'd probably considered it once it's fully operational, but it'd be several cars from my current one. The only gimmick people really pay for is the summon, and like somebody else already said, it doesn't even work well. I'm probably not going to use it again, before it expires in 2-1/2 months more :).

No, people did not get offered FSD for 2 grand instead of the current 10. They got offered FSD for 7grand total instead of the "at the time" 8.

This offer was only for people who had already purchased enhanced autopilot which was a 5k purchase, so you had to already have spent 5k on EAP in a specific time to get this... and this was 2 years ago.

This is the inherent problem with zombie resurrections of old threads on hot button topics, though. No one is going to read the beginning to understand what was going on, and misunderstandings are inevitable.

I feel good about getting it for $2k still. It was basically entertainment money to see what happens. We'll see. I never expected a faster timeline.

I'll also note that I was one of the ones who jumped for the $3k deal in the first few days before it dropped to $2k. Tesla did right by everyone there and refunded the $1k. They definitely don't always do the right thing, but it's been an extremely fast growing company so I know there are going to be ups and downs.

What I really wish I had done would have been to put the $2k in stock though, or better yet done a cash out refinance on the house :)

I advised people to invest in stock instead. I will likely sell my car by the time any feature would be useful or worth the purchase. That $2K is better spent toward a new car. Besides, paying for a pro-rated use of a feature is a bit silly.