Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door crushed on my 3yo daughter's hand, door handle failure to release lock, STUCK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My handles don't pull in slightly because I have the original 1st gen handles. They don't do this and are very sensitive and very glitchy. Tesla has gone through at least 3 revisions of the handles.

Sorry to hear of this incident. I know how painful and scary that can be for a little one! I had a lot of trouble with those 1st Gen handles. My recollection was that if the door was only partially closed, I couldn't re-open it by pulling on the handle. I would have to push the door fully in to latch it and then the handle would open it again. The replacement handles will allow me to open the door from the partially latched position.

Interior

____________________i n g e r s
FRONT DOOR ------ | f | ----------- BACK DOOR
_________________ d
_____________ H a n

Exterior

Try moving the edge of the front door past the hand and fingers with palm to the interior remembering the fingers are trapped and the space is very small. The fingers and wrist can only extend so much even in a young person and you are bringing the door to a wider part of the hand and arm.

You can prove that opening the front hurts a ton with some cupboard style cabinets. Put you hand in the cabinet to the right. Hold it closed with your foot or elbow slightly crushing the hand. Now open the left cabinet.

Last edited:
walla2;1096025 You can prove that opening the front hurts a ton with some cupboard style cabinets. Put you hand in the cabinet to the right. Hold it closed with your foot or elbow slightly crushing the hand. Now open the left cabinet.[/QUOTE said:
she's 3 and her hand is small. i don't think her hand was in far enough to get crushed like you describe.