Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door ding caught on cam, but no license plate. Worth submitting for insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I caught a careless driver opening up his truck door into my 2020 P3D- and giving it a minor ding in the RR quarter panel. Unfortunately, his truck was new and had no front license plate, only a dealer advert card in the plate holder.

Everything is quite obvious on film but there is no way to easily identify the perp AFAIK. Is this something I could turn over to my insurance Would they even bother? I mean it is a car after all and they get dings so I'm not freaking out. Anyone had a similar experience they can relate?

Depending on where you were, you could try to go back there and see if there were any other security cameras around that could identify the other car, but if you submit it to your insurance as a claim, you'll have to pay your deductible to get it fixed and potentially have a rate increase.

Probably would be cheaper to have it fixed out of pocket at a ding place.

I caught a careless driver opening up his truck door into my 2020 P3D- and giving it a minor ding in the RR quarter panel. Unfortunately, his truck was new and had no front license plate, only a dealer advert card in the plate holder.

Everything is quite obvious on film but there is no way to easily identify the perp AFAIK. Is this something I could turn over to my insurance Would they even bother? I mean it is a car after all and they get dings so I'm not freaking out. Anyone had a similar experience they can relate?

If you pursue the insurance rout, it will be treated as a comprehensive claim. The repairs will likely cost less than your deductible, so you will pay out of pocket.

If the ding is big enough to bother you, google search "paint-less dent repair (PDR)" providers in your area.
The cost should run you somewhere between $100-150, and they usually come out to your place of work/home.

Either way, you will pay out of pocket.

I see no upside to filing a comprehensive insurance claim, which may, or may not, have adverse rate implications (varies by state, and by insurance company).

HTH,
a

P.S.: If the ding is small and does not bother you, you may want to leave it alone altogether.