Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle light, too far in on some doors. (how to adjust?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the handle-lights shine all the way to the ground, exposing dust on the car.
Two handles don't go that far out, so there is no "useful" lighting at all, barely visible beneath the handle.

It would be nice to be able to adjust them to be well visible, all of them,

Reactions: benjiejr
First generation handles used to protrude more fully when presented. In those days, the LED shone well outside the door skin down to the ground. When Tesla re-designed gen1 handles because some doors were popping open on their own when handles presented, they didn't change position of the LED mount hole in gen2.

Newer gen handles don't protrude as much... they leave the last fraction of travel as "tug room" so the LEDs are now straddling the door skin, sometimes barely... and not doing as good a job shining to the ground.

It's a physical thing. If the mount holes were moved slightly outward more, it would do a better job.

• Informative
Reactions: Ski_ and benjiejr
First generation handles used to protrude more fully when presented. In those days, the LED shone well outside the door skin down to the ground. When Tesla re-designed gen1 handles because some doors were popping open on their own when handles presented, they didn't change position of the LED mount hole in gen2.

Newer gen handles don't protrude as much... they leave the last fraction of travel as "tug room" so the LEDs are now straddling the door skin, sometimes barely... and not doing as good a job shining to the ground.

It's a physical thing. If the mount holes were moved slightly outward more, it would do a better job.

Ahhh! This makes sense in my scenario as I've had only the driver door handle replaced when there was a failure. Thanks for the info!

Guess I need to have the rest replaced to make them all even and subdue my OCD. lol