Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Auto Presenting *AND* Auto Opening Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just happened to me. Never had ANY problems up until tonight :(

front passenger door unlocked and popped open. Only knew it b/c I was showing my roommate the iphone5 app (which showed passenger door ajar).

Wonder how much power that wastes/draws (lights on b/c door ajar)?

i got my car right before x-mas. I'm running version 4.2.

Just happened to me as well. The other day my rear passenger door opened by itself. This morning it was my front driver side door. I logged an issue with service with the exact date and time of the driver side incident. It happened when I put the car in park and the door just popped open without me touching the interior handle. The time it happened with the rear door, I has just gotten in the car and it popped open.

I also received my car in mid-December and am running 4.2. I'll keep track of any future occurances.

I had this happen once. But my passenger door is gammy anyway. Reported it to service and they're replacing a latch mechanism.
Other related symptom is handle presenting itself when approaching car, but door will not open.
Running 4.2 Delivered, forgot ... 10 days ago?

I'm told the door handles are on back order now... I hope the parts get in before my car is stolen/vandalized/robbed because of an open door in a mall parking lot...

If only the logistics/purchasing departments were half as good as the engineering and service departments.

has anyone else noticed if leaving the child lock on helps with the back doors? It's totally anecdotal but I had one door open and then put the locks on. also had a back door present but refuse to open, then everything resolved on it's own and nothing new happened. Then two days ago I noticed that the child locks were not on any more and I starting wondering how long the button had been off and if the whole thing had magically resolved itself, so I left them off. then, the back door, opposite side from before, went through a spat at not opening, then the next day resolved. I have the child locks back on, no idea if it will help. I'd take the car in but I'm just reluctant to spend a lot of time dealing with service for an intermittent problem until they identify what is actually causing this.

has anyone else noticed if leaving the child lock on helps with the back doors? It's totally anecdotal but I had one door open and then put the locks on. also had a back door present but refuse to open, then everything resolved on it's own and nothing new happened. Then two days ago I noticed that the child locks were not on any more and I starting wondering how long the button had been off and if the whole thing had magically resolved itself, so I left them off. then, the back door, opposite side from before, went through a spat at not opening, then the next day resolved. I have the child locks back on, no idea if it will help. I'd take the car in but I'm just reluctant to spend a lot of time dealing with service for an intermittent problem until they identify what is actually causing this.

My guess would be that the child locks won't help. The problem seems to be with the exterior door handle, sometimes when it extends, it triggers a sensor inside which makes the door think that somebody has pulled on the handle. A door with a child lock can still be opened from the outside. I think several things can effect whether it happens or not (weather, are they wet, humidity.. who knows). All of these variables seem to give it the randomness that people are experiencing.

My front passenger door handle would be present itself but would not open. I read on the Tesla Forum that this was a possibly a sensor problem with somebody trying to open the door before the handle presented itself. I pulled the fuse to that door, started the car, locked the doors, unlocked them an replaced the fuse. Problem solved.

for me the doors opening is a slight inconvenience, the doors not opening at all, even from the inside, now that's something else entirely. the last time the door stuck closed, it wouldn't open from the inside, even after making sure the kid lock was released. I sure hope they figure something out quick, this is not good. I don't care as much for myself, but as this problem happens to more and more people, it could turn into another black eye for Tesla. a door that can't open mechanically from the inside must violate all kinds of basic DOT safety requirements and if someone took the issue and ran with it, it could really snow ball in the press!

My guess would be that the child locks won't help. The problem seems to be with the exterior door handle, sometimes when it extends, it triggers a sensor inside which makes the door think that somebody has pulled on the handle. A door with a child lock can still be opened from the outside. I think several things can effect whether it happens or not (weather, are they wet, humidity.. who knows). All of these variables seem to give it the randomness that people are experiencing.

I may be repeating myself: Auto-opening doors should be considered a violation of NTSC/DOT rules. And engineering decency.

I really REALLY hope my soon to be delivered (and probably already built) car was made with whatever modifications were required to resolve the problem. I already think the door handles are overly complicated for the intended purpose.

has anyone else noticed if leaving the child lock on helps with the back doors?

A random door opening happened to me earlier this week. I think Monday morning. I had the child lock option turned on since I was driving my son. I've got V4.2 installed.

Not sure if this is in any way related but I washed my car Sunday afternoon. Monday morning when I got close to the car to tap a door handle to help my son's door handle on the passenger side rear to present itself the driver side rear door opened. I notice a bunch of water on the driver side rear door from my car washing the other day.
Is it possible the water/moisture somehow triggers the door to open?

I'm not particularly concerned about this issue since they don't happen when the vehicle is in motion and locked. I made sure to turn the auto lock in drive option on, manually lock the door when I enter the car, press the lock button on key fob when leaving the car, and double check the app to make sure the car is locked when I'm away.

for me the doors opening is a slight inconvenience, the doors not opening at all, even from the inside, now that's something else entirely. the last time the door stuck closed, it wouldn't open from the inside, even after making sure the kid lock was released. I sure hope they figure something out quick, this is not good. I don't care as much for myself, but as this problem happens to more and more people, it could turn into another black eye for Tesla. a door that can't open mechanically from the inside must violate all kinds of basic DOT safety requirements and if someone took the issue and ran with it, it could really snow ball in the press!

The front door opens mechanically from the inside, the rear door has a mechanical release below the seat. These things are explained in the owner's manual.

A random door opening happened to me earlier this week. I think Monday morning. I had the child lock option turned on since I was driving my son. I've got V4.2 installed.

Not sure if this is in any way related but I washed my car Sunday afternoon. Monday morning when I got close to the car to tap a door handle to help my son's door handle on the passenger side rear to present itself the driver side rear door opened. I notice a bunch of water on the driver side rear door from my car washing the other day.
Is it possible the water/moisture somehow triggers the door to open?

I'm not particularly concerned about this issue since they don't happen when the vehicle is in motion and locked. I made sure to turn the auto lock in drive option on, manually lock the door when I enter the car, press the lock button on key fob when leaving the car, and double check the app to make sure the car is locked when I'm away.

I only had this problem happen one time and it too was after having washed my car (earlier that day).

Having said that...I wash my car weekly (since about x-mas when I for my car) and it only happened the one time.

May be true, true and unrelated....(as the old timer expression goes...).

I have a quick question, and didn't want to start a whole new thread... this one seemed appropriate.

I found after about a day of using "Auto Present", it got old fast and I turned it off. I didn't care for the car coming to life every time I walked near it. I have found that "tapping" either the front driver or front passenger handle will make all four extend, but tapping either rear door handle does nothing. If one or the other rear did nothing, I would figure I had a problem, but since both rears do nothing, I'm wondering if this is intended behavior. I like to throw my laptop bag in the back seat, and find I have to reach forward to the driver's door handle to open the doors (or use the fob). Thoughts?

I don't know if its a range issue or a feature, but the rears not opening annoys me as well. I frequently need to buckle the kid into the back of the car, and opening the door involves stepping all the way next to the front door handle to trigger auto present followed by stepping back past the rear door so that I can open it. My Lexus had enough range on fob detection that I could open the rears as long at will.

ok, now my rear left door doesn't want to open at all... guess it's time to set up an appointment and get it replaced. i'm no longer thinking this is a software issue, but who knows. I personally think that the back doors should open mechanically from the inside at least, having a separate release is just not intuitive for people in a hurry to get out of the car.

I have a quick question, and didn't want to start a whole new thread... this one seemed appropriate.

I found after about a day of using "Auto Present", it got old fast and I turned it off. I didn't care for the car coming to life every time I walked near it. I have found that "tapping" either the front driver or front passenger handle will make all four extend, but tapping either rear door handle does nothing. If one or the other rear did nothing, I would figure I had a problem, but since both rears do nothing, I'm wondering if this is intended behavior. I like to throw my laptop bag in the back seat, and find I have to reach forward to the driver's door handle to open the doors (or use the fob). Thoughts?

The door handles seem to have the following behavior (at least in 4.2 for me):
1. If the car is locked and you approach the vehicle with your fob then only the front driver or passenger door can be tapped to extend the handles
2. If the car is unlocked (either from touchscreen or when double tapping the fob) and the door handles retract on their own then then pressing any door handle will cause all door handles to extend. Not sure why Tesla chose to have this behavior. I switch between having child locks on and off so I'm not sure if that changes things.