Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles want to retract on first pull after parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, just about every morning I park my 2015 S and get out of the drivers door. I have the settings so all 4 handles have presented. I reach for the presented driver rear handle and it tries to close on my hand.
Is there something with the settings doing this? Wondering if anyone else has had it happen.
If I let it go, it fully retracts and then pops back out. Just putting more wear on the moving parts though.
Warranty not quite up (CPO) so I guess I'll take it in and see what they think when they do the airbag recall work.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
So, just about every morning I park my 2015 S and get out of the drivers door. I have the settings so all 4 handles have presented. I reach for the presented driver rear handle and it tries to close on my hand.
Is there something with the settings doing this? Wondering if anyone else has had it happen.
If I let it go, it fully retracts and then pops back out. Just putting more wear on the moving parts though.
Warranty not quite up (CPO) so I guess I'll take it in and see what they think when they do the airbag recall work.
Have exactly this problem, and SC has not been helpful arguing that they cannot reproduce it.
Sequence is this:
i get out of the driver door
reach for handle on the driver side rear door which is extended out
handle won't allow door to open as it's retracting as I touch it
It retracts
I have to touch it again so it extends
and then i can open the door.
why?????? This is dangerous in case of emergency especially with kids in the back

Were you able to resolve it with SC?

• Love
So, just about every morning I park my 2015 S and get out of the drivers door. I have the settings so all 4 handles have presented. I reach for the presented driver rear handle and it tries to close on my hand. Wondering if anyone else has had it happen. If I let it go, it fully retracts and then pops back out.

WOW! I am really glad someone made a thread on this. My car has done this ever since I got it in March 2014! I had reported it to service early on, and they did a couple of things including replacing that handle assembly, and it never did anything. It seems pretty apparent that it is a bug in the software code somehow, because it is absolutely repeatable.

This is dangerous in case of emergency especially with kids in the back
Nonsense--it's not dangerous at all. You let it go, and it goes in and then pops back out and then it works to open the door. It's just a delay of another couple seconds, which is nothing. And closing on your hand is not going to hurt either. It's not forcibly pulling it in with a motor. It's the opposite. It's a spring that pulls it back, versus the motor that pushes it out. So it's just a spring that would be pulling it back against your fingers, which isn't pressing very hard.

Nonsense--it's not dangerous at all. You let it go, and it goes in and then pops back out and then it works to open the door. It's just a delay of another couple seconds, which is nothing. And closing on your hand is not going to hurt either. It's not forcibly pulling it in with a motor. It's the opposite. It's a spring that pulls it back, versus the motor that pushes it out. So it's just a spring that would be pulling it back against your fingers, which isn't pressing very hard.
nonsense? You ok with it going back in and hoping it will extend back while car is on fire and your child is in the back? If you need additional details on possibility of that, take a look at this thread Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
Besides that wasn't the question. The question was "Were you able to resolve it with SC?"

• Disagree
nonsense? You ok with it going back in and hoping it will extend back while car is on fire and your child is in the back?
That would be no different at all than worrying if it will ever extend in the first place. That might not happen either.
Besides that wasn't the question.
No, but it was an incorrect statement that deserved a response.
The question was "Were you able to resolve it with SC?"
No, and I described that. They did some hardware stuff, including replacing the whole handle mechanism. It's clearly a software bug, but that would have to go way up to be reported to Tesla central to work on the programming, and they just didn't do that. Since that was going to be a big project to keep trying to force them to look at their software code, and it's just a quirky annoyance, I didn't want to continue to try to work on that.

QUOTE="Rocky_H, post: 5307470, member: 32731"]You're being completely ridiculous.
I would appreciate that you do not talk to me like this, or anyone else on the forum.
Question was for jkennebeck. How you feel about this issue is not very relevant to me.[/QUOTE]
When you post questions on this forum you will almost always get responses unrelated or someone picking apart your wording or issue. Best to just weed through responses and only respond to those of relevance. I've also learned to keep my opinion on pretty much everything to myself and only state the facts of my inquiry or response.

Reactions: mymagiccarpet
Really? I do not make a habit of criticizing or tearing down people's thoughts on this forum. But a quirky behavior with a software glitch does not mean people's kids are going to die in a fire. Someone falsely fear mongering like that to try to terrify people is irresponsible, out of line, and problematic to this forum. You can feel free to do what you want, but you will get called on it.

I answered the questions about what Tesla and service has and hasn't done about it.

Last edited:
Really? I do not make a habit of criticizing or tearing down people's thoughts on this forum. But a quirky behavior with a software glitch does not mean people's kids are going to die in a fire. Someone falsely fear mongering like that to try to terrify people is irresponsible, out of line, and problematic to this forum. You can feel free to do what you want, but you will get called on it.

I answered the questions about what Tesla and service has and hasn't done about it.

exactly my point. Thank you

Have exactly this problem, and SC has not been helpful arguing that they cannot reproduce it.
Sequence is this:
i get out of the driver door
reach for handle on the driver side rear door which is extended out
handle won't allow door to open as it's retracting as I touch it
It retracts
I have to touch it again so it extends
and then i can open the door.
why?????? This is dangerous in case of emergency especially with kids in the back

Were you able to resolve it with SC?

Actually my passenger rear handle failed completely. They replaced that one and now it hasn't happend on either side since.
So who knows where the gremlin is!

• Helpful