Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Panel Rattle Solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I first got my P3 they had to repaint a door that someone had closed something in it which chipped the paint on the driver and passengers doors that sticks out the most between the doors, and scratched the paint on the inside of the body when you open the door.

After the body shop and repainted and re-aligned my trunk, I noticed a ton of rattles.

There was a really loud rattle from the trunk, so I made a service appointment. They found a broken clip rattling around on the inside of the trunk. Happy to hear it was an easy fix, I drove off. Only to notice I had more rattles that were masked by the constant rattle of the trunk clip.

There was something rolling around in my rear passenger door! Sounded like a BB or marble. My tint shop had also had discovered a light scratch on the window (likely from panel removal the first time since I had only the car for 2 days after the initial month in the body shop). Long story short they replaced the glass and found the round backing part of the door clip rolling back and fourth (they gave it to me hah). I drove off happy again. That same day on the way to work, a new something rolling around in my rear door appeared, only It was hard to tell if it was from the front or rear passenger door, or gulp, maybe both.

I took it back again and told them I think there is still something rolling around in my rear door, and sometimes the front door as well, ti wasn't as consistent as before and it was hard to demo. Unlike more car dealerships they said they would remove both panels and take a look! Whew! I was thankful! They took off both panels and found 2 more broken clips rolling around. They test drove it and said they also found a rattle in my center console and fixed that too, which is great!

Although the rolling around noises are gone, when I drive around now the passenger side door panels rattle themselves. I don't think they will do anything to fix this issue as they told me some 3's the panels just flex and rattle and there is not fix. I can hear flex from all 4 door panels when I do a hard acceleration, and this is not the issue I'm talking about.

My 79k 3 has more rattles in the door panels than my 5 year old ford focus had (which also initially had a rattle due to a broken panel). It has more rattles than my 15 year old Nissan Titan had when I sold and and is more rattly and louder than my chevy volt was. I'd say it's more inline with my ancient beat upgeo metro I had once upon a time but it's not that bad! It's the bumpy city streets that show the rattles in the 3, on the highway im good.

So I guess I will need to either buy new door panels or take it upon myself to try and fix them. I figure I may as well try to fix it myself first, since I imagine replacing the panels will be VERY expensive. Any ideas on how to keep the panels from rattling? Any good videos showing how to remove the door panels without breaking anything?

TLDR:
After having delivery issues fixed and several service appointments afterward, my door panels still rattle. Need suggestions on making it stop! It feels like a very cheap budget car with all the rattles this vehicle make.

I had a door panel issue that was unresolved after two times in service. Clips were replaced but did not solve the problem. Rattles/vibration were intermittent base on music frequency (bass). Tesla mobile service was out for parking brake recall. The tech ordered replacement door panels. They helped a lot. Replacement panels were installed in my garage. I still get a rattle on certain songs but not as much as before.

Request that they replace offending panels under warranty.

I had a door panel issue that was unresolved after two times in service. Clips were replaced but did not solve the problem. Rattles/vibration were intermittent base on music frequency (bass). Tesla mobile service was out for parking brake recall. The tech ordered replacement door panels. They helped a lot. Replacement panels were installed in my garage. I still get a rattle on certain songs but not as much as before.

Request that they replace offending panels under warranty.
Mine rattles with no music and just regular driving. Your suggesting is to just keep complaining?

It sounds like the repair created most of your rattles. Door panels rattles aren’t too difficult to address. I have a rattle in the front driver area that comes on after 65mph. The tech easily popped the driver panel open both times and secured all the connectors in the door with foam tape. He also secured all the clips that would possibly rattle. To check for anything rolling around, he removed the speaker and used a long magnetic tool to make a sweep behind the door wall. Nothing was found. In the end, it didn’t fix my rattle but at least the driver door is secure as can be. After securing the door, we figure the rattle is coming from a different area unrelated to the door.

My suggestion. Download the tone generator app and see if you can replicate and locate the rattle. Then pop the panel and zone in on the area. Secure anything that can possibly rattle with foam tape. While you’re at it, you might as well put some noico down in the door for some additional sound deadening.

I’m having a similar issue. Front passenger door rattles whenever drive over pavement that isn’t smooth. And now that I know it’s there it irritates the hell out of me! Did you ever resolve your issue? Is it worth making a service appointment?
Yea, last service appointment solved it finally. No more door rattle. Now I need to do the seat-belt adjuster modification and start looking at solving wind noises :)