Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door seal leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope someone can help me to figure out what justifies servicing. My M3 rear right door seems to me like it's leaking into the cabin. I've sent pictures to Tesla service and they keep telling me if water is not entering the cabin then it's not a concern.

I've attached a picture. What is classified as 'in cabin'. I'm assuming if water is passing the bottom seal and getting to the interior plastic that is now classified as in cabin As there are no more seals past that point.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_111551.jpg
    IMG_20210430_111551.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 952
I hope someone can help me to figure out what justifies servicing. My M3 rear right door seems to me like it's leaking into the cabin. I've sent pictures to Tesla service and they keep telling me if water is not entering the cabin then it's not a concern.

I've attached a picture. What is classified as 'in cabin'. I'm assuming if water is passing the bottom seal and getting to the interior plastic that is now classified as in cabin As there are no more seals past that point.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The water on the rubber seal seems like it might have gotten there, after you opened the door, dripping from above. If so, the other drops, on the plastic interior presumably got there at the same time.

Signs of intrusion from below, would more likely show dust as well. Dust gets in every crack. Your gaskets look clean, so that's why I'm thinking the drops, mostly round, are from above when you open the door.

If you want convincing pictures, take them from the inside with the door closed, and haven't yet opened the right rear door, to rule out water dripping from an open door.

What I would do is drive through a lot of water/rain or a car wash (or hit it with the hose), don't open that door, get into the car from the opposite side, and use a paper towel to see if any water wicks onto it from the inside near the seal, again without open the door. If it's wet, I think you have a compelling case for the service center to fix the seal.

Reactions: PerfectNumber
The water on the rubber seal seems like it might have gotten there, after you opened the door, dripping from above. If so, the other drops, on the plastic interior presumably got there at the same time.

Signs of intrusion from below, would more likely show dust as well. Dust gets in every crack. Your gaskets look clean, so that's why I'm thinking the drops, mostly round, are from above when you open the door.

If you want convincing pictures, take them from the inside with the door closed, and haven't yet opened the right rear door, to rule out water dripping from an open door.
I would normally agree, but here is another picture I sent the service center. You can see water had run down the inner door past the point of the outer seal meaning water is in the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_111610.jpg
    IMG_20210430_111610.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
What I would do is drive through a lot of water/rain or a car wash (or hit it with the hose), don't open that door, get into the car from the opposite side, and use a paper towel to see if any water wicks onto it from the inside near the seal, again without open the door. If it's wet, I think you have a compelling case for the service center to fix the seal.
Tomorrow I am going to try and hit the door with a hose and see if water gets inside.

I would normally agree, but here is another picture I sent the service center. You can see water had run down the inner door past the point of the outer seal meaning water is in the car.
Now that's a weird image. Looks like condensation. I would consider removing the inner door panel to see what's going on, whether it's condensation or leakage, or a combination of the two.

I think the original drops in the first image are likely condensation drops from inside the door. Why the door is doing that is not clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: nateads
The bottom of the interior door panel is wet, and is dripping down. This is part of the interior cabin.
But the question is what was the source of water?
Driving in light, medium, heavy rain? automatic car wash, pressured water wash? snow? ice?

So your service request is something like: Driving in heavy rain, water enters cabin from unknown location, saturates and drips down the inside of the interior door panel on rear, passenger door.

The bottom of the interior door panel is wet, and is dripping down. This is part of the interior cabin.
But the question is what was the source of water?
Driving in light, medium, heavy rain? automatic car wash, pressured water wash? snow? ice?

So your service request is something like: Driving in heavy rain, water enters cabin from unknown location, saturates and drips down the inside of the interior door panel on rear, passenger door.
We had really heavy rain for a long stretch over night.

I'm confused though because when I wash my cars I always hit the door gap with the hose from multiple angles to flush anything out that might get stuck between the body and door. Never had water get past the seal before.

I think I'm more so frustrated at the service center cancelling my appointment and trying to explain to me how the door seals work. They obviously aren't looking at the images I provided.

I'll just point out that in the second image you can clearly see that the metal on the bottom of the door is frosted with dew. There's definitely condensation at that spot. What is going on with the plastic panel above that is not clear. You'd have to remove that inner door panel to look and see. Could also be condensation in side the door, or it could be rain intrusion. Can't tell if you can't see.

I'll just point out that in the second image you can clearly see that the metal on the bottom of the door is frosted with dew. There's definitely condensation at that spot. What is going on with the plastic panel above that is not clear. You'd have to remove that inner door panel to look and see. Could also be condensation in side the door, or it could be rain intrusion. Can't tell if you can't see.
I've had some issues with that back window come to think of it. Sometimes when I press the brake pedal to put the car into drive I hear a thunk from that window like it's closing it's seal. I am thinking it might be cold air entering the car now. I recalibrated the window (I think). I followed tutorials online. I'm going to wait it out. We have 4 days of rain coming so I will keep an eye on it. If I find a solution I'll post. Hopefully it will help someone.

I've had some issues with that back window come to think of it. Sometimes when I press the brake pedal to put the car into drive I hear a thunk from that window like it's closing it's seal. I am thinking it might be cold air entering the car now. I recalibrated the window (I think). I followed tutorials online. I'm going to wait it out. We have 4 days of rain coming so I will keep an eye on it. If I find a solution I'll post. Hopefully it will help someone.
Sounds like a plan. Cold outside air meets warm interior, results in condensation.

So we've had some frequent rain and there has been no more water inside the car. I did three things that may have solved the problem.
1. Recalibrated the windows. The back one no longer makes the clunk sound when the brake is pressed to start the car.
2. Cleaned off the entire seal for the door and body ensuring a tight seal now (there was some dirt on the seal, not sure if it let air in).
3. Last thing done which I am not sure it has any barring was on the driver side the seal closest to the windshield was not seated properly and I noticed I could actually see straight into the car, it was a pretty bad air leak. Not sure if that allowed moisture and cold air into the car resulting in condensation on the back right passenger seat.

So it goes without saying I'm sure, go over your cars with a fine tooth comb. The car is great but the build quality I do have to admit it's questionable.

• Informative
My right rear door retains water and is the only one that doesn't drain properly. I've had the mobile tech look at it and I feel like he moved the seal and said to see. I plan to put in a ticket for him to come back out and check it again at some point. But every time I open it after a car wash or a heavy rain a bunch of water splashes out. The seal has the holes and so far I can't tell why this happens as it looks just like the others.