Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door trim clip size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My door trims come off now and then, so I'm looking to order my own door clips to fix myself.

I'm confused by what size to buy though?
I found a few suppliers and non official Tesla information on genuine and non genuine door clips.

The problem is, I have only taken my car to the official Tesla Service Centre and the clips I found in the door are what the non Tesla forums say are the non genuine clips (the image with the pair on the left).

All the suppliers I find sell the 'genuine' clips, but these are different to what the Tesla Service Centre has put in my car.

The non Tesla forum post says the Tesla door clips are the pair on the right (I ordered some of these)
and
non official Tesla door clips are the pair on the left.
Clips for door.jpg

Be warned, I had a HELLUVA time getting the proper replacement clips. I, too, read about how they're the same as the Toyota ones and ordered the lowest amount I could get of them from Amazon (100... ugh) and they didn't fit. They were too short.

To be fair, this was in our first 2013 and the door cards securing is different between some of the years. I then got a handful from the mobile tech and discovered in another car that they also didn't fit. I then got another handful from the Service center of a 3rd size. They're largely the same in dimensions other than the length. The engagement portion is varying lengths and it appears as though they attach to vary levels of success across varying years.

I know that's not very specific but I don't have a solid enough set of data to report specifically which ones fit in which cars. I just know that if you get one that's too short it will pop out and/or not engage fully when pressed and you get one of the slightly longer ones. This is on Model S from 2013-2016.5 so I would imagine they've got this dialed in now and later years probably all have the same thing. If you can talk to the local service center or your Ranger Tech I would highly suggest this before you do like I did and invest in 100 door clips that you'll probably never use.

I'm not entirely sure why this is such a mystery for a $0.10 part that is disposable after only a few uses or over a certain period of time.

Thanks, I ordered some door clips as per the right pair in my photo.
The left pair don't seem to hold as I've had 3 door panels pull off, towards the inside of the car at the largest pressure point, where people pull the handle and the outer corner comes out.