Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door windows not dropping down slightly in cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title is missleading and can not edit so for clarity, I'm referring to them resting at a slightly lower position in the cold weather and not the normal action of dropping when opening a door.

I have observed this working previously but given the recent cold snap, it doesn't seem to be doing it any more. Has something changed that I may well be unaware of?

I'm on 2022.44.something, it was cold enough outside and has been for the past few days and of course the windows were able to go up and down both with opening the doors and also conventionally.

A an aside, I also experienced for the first time one of the mirrors being unable to fold out due to frost an of course I'm loving this cold weather economy AGAIN

Frozen to rubber seals?

Gummi Pflege is your friend.
No, not so sure it is this. The windows go up and down otherwise, both when opening and closing the doors and also using the button. I'm referring to them resting at a slightly lower position due to the cold. This isn't currently happening.

In my previous experience, the way this should happen (and happened previously), was when the door was closed, the window would raise to its normal position but if it was cold (not sure of exactly what temperature), it would immediately drop slightly, maybe 1/4" or so.

Cold weather headaches - sorry if I post this in the wrong spot, but Windows have been a headache for my winters here.
2020 Tesla Y - on my 3rd winter; no garage
1. Window gets frozen at the bottom seal so will not lower if there has been any snow at all with some moisture content. I have also had that I cannot get out of the car after driving in cold snowy weather for 15 minutes or so once I did get in the car. I had to use the emergency door handle at risk of breaking the trim, then could not close/lock the door to walk away. Now that is really a problem. I have had no luck with rubbing on silicone. Rocky Mts "dry" snow climate. And frozen door handles as well of course.
2. Dry, cold day (0 to 10 deg F), plugged in to charge while skiing with J1772 adapter. Fully charged to my setting, so press the unlock charge port button, the correct light blue light goes on at the port, but the port is locked. Multiple attempts. Cranked on both defrosters for at least 5 minutes, still locked. Finally disconnected their charger cable from my adapter and was able to drive away with my adapter sticking out of the port. Stopped a minute later and then it did unlock. No moisture for a couple days, so what the hey?? I have the port not unlock to remove the charging cable with my J1772 adapter one other time only.
3. Next morning probably -5F overnight, about +5F and I open the car door to pre-condition (my app does not wake up the car to do remotely) and the computer is screeching loudly and stays in the night mode since I arrived after dark last night. That is a new issue I have never had. Closed the door, went back in the house to get my phone to record the sound, but then the car woke up fine when I opened the door. Car charge level was about 75%. Anyone experience this??
4. A big positive - I do think the AWD is a far better winter performer than all the Subarus we have had for decades.

I cannot imagine Minus 10 to 20F that I read other folks are experiencing and can actually use their Teslas...

Several times in winters, the windows misbehave. Typically in conditions of around zero-deg.F. Most commonly they come down on door-open then do not go backup on door-close. Sometimes though, maybe 2x or 3x per winter, if lowered for something like a parking ticket/fee, don't go backup at all. Yeah! driving along at -5-deg.-F and window half-open!. Stop, Park, exit, let it lock, return, get in, and it recovers. So far. v.worrisome though, that here it is super cold and the window just won't close. Not even move, just hum and sit there 1/2 open. It is really sad & frustrating when T cannot meet the basic functionality that the cheapest Ford/Toyota never fails at. Dunno, maybe their little rubber wheel that pushes the window iced over; dunno how it is that a Prius NEVER! has that problem though. Annoying.