Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors don't always auto lock...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know all the parameters for when doors will lock automatically and when they won't?

I have things set so only the drivers door handle presents itself when approaching the car. When getting in and out of the drivers side the car always locks itself a few seconds after walking away, I seldome even look back to check it any more.

Yesterday however I needed to get into the passenger side so after approaching the car I used the fob to get the passenger door handle to present itself. After getting what I needed out of the car, I closed the door and walked away. Much to my surprise, when I came back an hour later, I noticed the car was still unlocked with all 4 handles still extended!

Is this expected behavior? I've not experienced this before.

Note: If all doors are closed and you use the key to unlock Model S, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended until the next time Model S powers on (such as when you press the Brake pedal to engage a driving gear), or until you use the key again to lock Model S. This allows you to keep Model S unlocked in your garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
You might have fallen victim to this...

If when getting out, your driver door is open, and your butt lifts off the seat, and for some reason you have a lazy foot dragging it out of the car behind you and you touch the brake pedal.... the car remains alive on the console. And ... it may not lock as you walk away. The car thinks you're still inside even though your butt has left the chair.

No kidding!