Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors popping open by themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
Has anyone else experienced this?

Recently, with my first gen door handles, my rear passenger door has popped open twice and driver door has popped opened once.

One instance of the rear door opening, the door opened fully into traffic as I was parallel parked on the left side of the road and on a slope. No one was in the car except myself, buckled into the driver seat. I'm worried that this could result in an accident. That time as I was lucky to be able to sprint out and close the door quickly before a passing car struck the fully opened door.

All instances occured just after the handles extended and the car was either just put in park or had been in park for several minutes. And the doors fully released open.

I'm on fw 2.52.22 and I'm also bit worried this could happen when not in park.

I brought this up with service and since I'm out of warranty they say it is my issue and they won't cover to inspect or fix.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and MS16
Maybe you need one of these:

81YiQyjq2DL._SL1500_.jpg

Regarding being out of warranty, this should be covered as a safety defect. I'd make this an issue with the service manager and escalate it higher if necessary.

Reactions: MS16

Recently, with my first gen door handles, my rear passenger door has popped open twice and driver door has popped opened once.

One instance of the rear door opening, the door opened fully into traffic as I was parallel parked on the left side of the road and on a slope. No one was in the car except myself, buckled into the driver seat. I'm worried that this could result in an accident. That time as I was lucky to be able to sprint out and close the door quickly before a passing car struck the fully opened door.

All instances occured just after the handles extended and the car was either just put in park or had been in park for several minutes. And the doors fully released open.

I brought this up with service and since I'm out of warranty they say it is my issue and they won't cover to inspect or fix.

I've had it occur while in motion, and others have reported it too. I have a 9/2016 refresh so have newer handles.

Driver door popped open while driving 70mph

I would not buy into the 'out of warranty' excuse Tesla is giving you.

There is a long and documented history of various problems with Tesla's door handle design, even Consumer Reports had problems. I can't believe Tesla would fight you on this. I would definitely not pay to replace them, keep elevating until they do the right thing.

You may also want to document the problem with NHTSA since it is a safety issue.

Reactions: Falkirk

Yes it also happened to me while parked. The passenger door only. The fix was replacing handle mechanism for about $700 (and yes I was out to warranty too :( ) .

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
You may also want to document the problem with NHTSA since it is a safety issue.
Yes, legitimate instances of this should be filed as safety complaints via Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), preferably after the automaker has had the opportunity to resolve the issue, where applicable.

And before someone jumps down my throat (as people have here in the past many times) and piles on, it's in your owner's manual to do so. Search the PDF for NHTSA.

Reactions: MS16 and croman
This is ridiculous. This is a very known safety issues. They don't have guts to recall cars as they are afraid of a PR fail but I'd expect them to handle individual cases.
I would as well, but the issue hasn't happened again and I'm thinking it may have been exacerbated by the kids use of the handle. Regardless, a door popping open by itself fits as a safety issue.

This just happened to me last week. It was happening every time the handles extended such as when I hit Park or even when I unlock the doors remotely with the app. The rear right handle was extending 100% instead of 90% and therefore unlatching the door. I brought it in to service and it was an easy fix. They replaced all three micro-switches in the door handle and told me they were $0.80 each. In my case it was all covered under warranty but in your case it would probably be an hours worth of labor and $2.40 in parts.