Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$#@%^ DOORS!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
New fail today. Pull up to the school's kid pick up line while chatting on the hands free phone. Put the car in park. My kid hits the falcon wing door handle. Doesn't open. presses it again. Doesn't open. I look at the 17" screen, and the door open/close screen is displayed just as it should be when in park, but the icons for the falcon wing door open/close are missing. CRAP! In desperation, I lean into the back seat and reach over and lift on on the interior door open button doohickey. The door finally opens.

Yesterday's fail was that the other falcon wing door wouldn't close all the way while I had the whole family in the car waiting to go to dinner. I had to open/close the falcon wing door three times before it latched all the way finally.

Last week's fail occurred the very first morning I had the car back from an almost 2 week stay at the shop (to fix, what else? The doors). If I pressed on the brake to "start" the car in park before the falcon wing door closed all the way, it would beep at me and stop closing the door.

The door problems I had before I brought it in was the passenger front door wouldn't open/close reliably, and the falcon wing doors would sense phantom obstructions - the latter was fixed apparently by reaffixing the sensors in the door and replacing some interior trim, the former by a new door latch.

Five months with this car, and the doors have never worked right and still don't reliably open and close. At some point I'll have to take the car in for its fifth repair trip.

Fifth repair trip? Doors still don't work? Jeezus... I think if it were me, I'd be telling them to keep the car and order me a new one.

...I've owned mine for 3 1/2 weeks now. All my doors, and everything else, are working fine. <knocks on obeche wood> I won't lie and say I don't have a few issues to be addressed, I do. I have a small creaking noise in the dash and [I think] I know what's causing it, should be an easy fix. I have an alignment issue with my rear hatch. I have some over-spray on the hood and I'll have the detailer address that when I get the car there -- so busy lately. Had some concerns with the auto-unlock feature, but got that sorted out as that was just figuring out how everything works and best practices for key fobs when at home.

I hope you get yours fixed.

New fail today. Pull up to the school's kid pick up line while chatting on the hands free phone. Put the car in park. My kid hits the falcon wing door handle. Doesn't open. presses it again. Doesn't open. I look at the 17" screen, and the door open/close screen is displayed just as it should be when in park, but the icons for the falcon wing door open/close are missing. CRAP! In desperation, I lean into the back seat and reach over and lift on on the interior door open button doohickey. The door finally opens.

Yesterday's fail was that the other falcon wing door wouldn't close all the way while I had the whole family in the car waiting to go to dinner. I had to open/close the falcon wing door three times before it latched all the way finally.

Last week's fail occurred the very first morning I had the car back from an almost 2 week stay at the shop (to fix, what else? The doors). If I pressed on the brake to "start" the car in park before the falcon wing door closed all the way, it would beep at me and stop closing the door.

The door problems I had before I brought it in was the passenger front door wouldn't open/close reliably, and the falcon wing doors would sense phantom obstructions - the latter was fixed apparently by reaffixing the sensors in the door and replacing some interior trim, the former by a new door latch.

Five months with this car, and the doors have never worked right and still don't reliably open and close. At some point I'll have to take the car in for its fifth repair trip.

What is your VIN? When was it delivered? if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

Had the car for about 3 weeks, luckily no door problems. The only thing that bugs me is the rattle from the trunk that they couldn't/didn't fix at my SC appointment on Friday and the lack of a sunshade.

Fifth repair trip? Doors still don't work? Jeezus... I think if it were me, I'd be telling them to keep the car and order me a new one.

...I've owned mine for 3 1/2 weeks now. All my doors, and everything else, are working fine. <knocks on obeche wood> I won't lie and say I don't have a few issues to be addressed, I do. I have a small creaking noise in the dash and [I think] I know what's causing it, should be an easy fix. I have an alignment issue with my rear hatch. I have some over-spray on the hood and I'll have the detailer address that when I get the car there -- so busy lately. Had some concerns with the auto-unlock feature, but got that sorted out as that was just figuring out how everything works and best practices for key fobs when at home.

I hope you get yours fixed.
Please do share your auto unlock experience and key fob practices. I too have had issues with it working and can't figure out why I have to press the door twice to unlock then swing open when auto unlock should do part 1 when I approach.

Please do share your auto unlock experience and key fob practices. I too have had issues with it working and can't figure out why I have to press the door twice to unlock then swing open when auto unlock should do part 1 when I approach.

Same here. The silliest thing is that it won't let you remove the charging connector without unlocking the car first in some other way. It knows I am pushing the button on the connector, it knows I have the fob in my pocket - why not just release the charging connector for me? Many times, I'm not even wanting to unlock the car right now - I just need to unplug the charging cable to get it out of the way for some other reason.

Reactions: X Fan
I have that creak too. I am afraid to ask them to fix it until I know they can. Did they say what caused it?
I had it, it was fixed, and here is what Tesla put on my invoice:

Verified condition, there is popping noise heard while drive from the left and right a-pillar area. Removed both left and right a pillar trim and eliminated all spot weld contact points. After repairs confirmed confirmed the condition is no longer present.

With regard to noise, that kind of noise can be caused by any number of things. I doubt our two cars had the same problem.

Today's door issue was that the driver side window decided not to retract when I opened and then closed the door resulting in the feeling that I was going to crack the glass. I rolled down the window and back up and it seemed to work ok.

The issue that started this thread was actually caused by a setting. There is a setting that says not to unlock when the car is put in park, which has the side effect of not being able to open the falcon wing doors from the touchscreen (which isn't good design, IMHO, since you can open the driver and passengers doors in this mode from the touchscreen). I guess the service folks had set that setting while the car was in the shop.