Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some useful information on Reddit regarding the downgrade: FYI for SR+ Owners Looking to Downgrade : teslamotors

"The option to downgrade from SR+ to SR, was offered only to customers who had taken delivery of their SR+ Model 3 on or after 4/7/2019 and proactively reached out for a refund between 4/11 and 4/23. The option expired on 4/23 and was no longer available thereafter."

"The option to downgrade from SR+ to SR, was offered only to customers who had taken delivery of their SR+ Model 3 on or after 4/7/2019 and proactively reached out for a refund between 4/11 and 4/23. The option expired on 4/23 and was no longer available thereafter."

Some useful information on Reddit regarding the downgrade: FYI for SR+ Owners Looking to Downgrade : teslamotors

That doesn't even make sense. The option to downgrade should have been available to anyone who took delivery on, or before, 4/11/2019 when they announced the SR details and mentioned the downgrade possibility in their blog. The blog said "Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost." So anyone who purchased after 4/11 wouldn't qualify which makes sense, they already had the information available to make the decision between SR and SR+.

@BePresent @Talax74 @ghsnick! @newtonfb when did you take delivery of your cars? I know yours was just before 4/7 @Talax74 , so that already doesn't jive with the message that Reddit user was told, but I'm curious if other people had delivery before/on/around 4/7 as well.

That doesn't match my experience. I took delivery of my SR+ on 3/31. Tesla confirm with me last week that my downgrade is in process within 2 weeks and I'll received a check in the mail in about 4 weeks.

@BePresent @Talax74 @ghsnick! @newtonfb when did you take delivery of your cars? I know yours was just before 4/7 @Talax74 , so that already doesn't jive with the message that Reddit user was told, but I'm curious if other people had delivery before/on/around 4/7 as well.
I took delivery on April 6th.
Reached Tesla on the phone within the 7 days return period asking to downgrade or to return the car and buy an SR.
I was told on the phone to keep the car while they figure out the procedure to refund.
Then I was contacted and you can see the rest of the story on this thread.
Waiting to see what is going to happen.
So maybe mine is a rare case.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
When did you first reach out to them to ask about the downgrade?

I emailed (and only emailed..no phone calls to Fremont) Monday April 22nd requesting to downgrade. On April 25th I got the generic email back on the 25th saying that they received my request and would contact me when they had more information. About two months later (June 11th) I got the email from a Tesla adviser asking if I wanted to proceed with the downgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller

Total lie. I took delivery on 3/16 and was able to downgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Has anyone gotten the OTA downgrade?

I accepted the offer for the refund since the SR now provides the plus features I wanted which were the partial premium seats. Won't be missing the other features or performance for my daily single occupant HOV commuting in MD use case.

I have been waiting for a sale on Autopilot to add to my car.
If I take the downgrade for $1500 and if the AP sale happens I will have to spend only $500 out of pocket.
I would hate to lose 0.3 sec.
That's the only thing I would hate to lose.
I am still torn.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for a sale on Autopilot to add to my car.
If I take the downgrade for $1500 and if the AP sale happens I will have to spend only $500 out of pocket.
I would hate to lose 0.3 sec.
That's the only thing I would hate to lose.
I am still torn.

Don't do it. I got an SR and now waiting for the upgrade sale price.

Still not sure if can charge to 100% regularly (got warning message and if it was balanced/protected I would think it would not warn?)

I agreed to the downgrade on June 14th and I have not heard anything since.

I’m not concerned about the top speed being reduced to 130 from 140. (Who would know anyway? )

I’m not concerned with the 3/10ths second drop in acceleration from 0-60. (Who would know anyway? )

I’m not concerned with the deactivation of my fog lights. (In 14 years with my Jag I think I might have used them 5 times. )

I’m not concerned with the deactivation of Immersive Sound. ( it violates the original mix )

I am possibly going to miss the loss of 20 miles in battery charge.

I agreed to the downgrade on June 14th and I have not heard anything since.

I’m not concerned about the top speed being reduced to 130 from 140. (Who would know anyway? )

I’m not concerned with the 3/10ths second drop in acceleration from 0-60. (Who would know anyway? )

I’m not concerned with the deactivation of my fog lights. (In 14 years with my Jag I think I might have used them 5 times. )

I’m not concerned with the deactivation of Immersive Sound. ( it violates the original mix )

I am possibly going to miss the loss of 20 miles in battery charge.
I would just charge to 98% when doing a road trip.