Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the email responds from Tesla Customer Support:

"Hello ____, this is ____from Tesla support. At current there is not an official plan for refunds due to the price change. However, I can say that there has been a large volume of other owners asking the same question. For now what I can do is record your feed back, and once we have an official plan we will reach back out to you with next steps."

So does anyone have any idea about whether it is 5.3s or 5.6s 0-60mph on SR? It seems really weird to me that they put heated front seats, all Plus speakers, and potentially 5.3s into SR (which are NEVER promised and easily software disabled!), annoying all customers that paid more. Makes no business sense.
I'm cancelling my Model Y pre-order if they can't figure this out. After all they never reward the most enthusiastic customers.

I'm cancelling my Model Y pre-order if they can't figure this out. After all they never reward the most enthusiastic customers.

Unless you want the most expensive and buggy version of the Model Y, there is no reason to pre-order. Those who wait will get one for less money that has some of the kinks worked out. Other than the first couple of months selling the LR RWD Model 3, there was little priority given to preorders or any other type of seniority in a given market.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
So does anyone have any idea about whether it is 5.3s or 5.6s 0-60mph on SR? It seems really weird to me that they put heated front seats, all Plus speakers, and potentially 5.3s into SR (which are NEVER promised and easily software disabled!), annoying all customers that paid more. Makes no business sense.

This is like the S40. It wasn't worth them continuing to offer the S40, so they met initial orders with a software-limited S60.

In the case of the S40 it was demand v production capacity, but here I'd suggest it's largely driven by an inability to lower production cost enough.

They've kept it hanging around off menu to allow people who'd ordered it to get one, but I expect it to disappear entirely soon.

If they can't offer the SR at volume, then there's no point dealing with all the issues that come with installing a different seat.

This is like the S40. It wasn't worth them continuing to offer the S40, so they met initial orders with a software-limited S60.

In the case of the S40 it was demand v production capacity, but here I'd suggest it's largely driven by an inability to lower production cost enough.

They've kept it hanging around off menu to allow people who'd ordered it to get one, but I expect it to disappear entirely soon.

If they can't offer the SR at volume, then there's no point dealing with all the issues that come with installing a different seat.
Of course they can't software limit to a cloth seat. But seat heater, speakers, and acceleration? They are very easy to limit and not in the original SR spec sheet at all.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Unless you want the most expensive and buggy version of the Model Y, there is no reason to pre-order. Those who wait will get one for less money that has some of the kinks worked out. Other than the first couple of months selling the LR RWD Model 3, there was little priority given to preorders or any other type of seniority in a given market.
Originally just want to support the company and not taking delivery soon. No support any more if they can't figure those out and essentially lie to the customers, first time about (Partial) Premium interior and second time about downgrade option.

Reactions: Reeler
Still no updates to my in-store or support requests, even after telling them that all I wanted to do with the refund was to put it towards a down payment on the Y.

I love my SR+ and I wouldn't be that upset if they don't grant me a chance to downgrade, but admittedly, it does pain me to see the new YouTube videos about how great a value the SR is compared to its longer-range counterparts.

i.e.

Reactions: hlin07
I love my SR+...but it’s insane how many “fanboys” are defending them.

How can they not get their s*** together? They put in their blog you can get a refund and now no one can?!

I’m no business expert, but it literally appears that certain departments at Tesla have no idea what’s going on here.

I was going to preorder a Model Y, but I’ll wait a year or two after it’s released...because I’m sure history will repeat itself.

I love my SR+...but it’s insane how many “fanboys” are defending them.

How can they not get their s*** together? They put in their blog you can get a refund and now no one can?!

I’m no business expert, but it literally appears that certain departments at Tesla have no idea what’s going on here.

I was going to preorder a Model Y, but I’ll wait a year or two after it’s released...because I’m sure history will repeat itself.

As more and more average people are getting their Teslas, expectations will be different, their tolerance level are not the same as the fanboys. Tesla can't continue their current process and expect everyone to act like a fanboy and tolerate everything. I hate that when fanboys come out and say they lost alot of money too when Tesla dropped the price, why are SR+ owners complaining. IT HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH PRICE. It has EVERYTHING to do with the initial presentation of SR vs SR+ that convinced us to buy SR+ instead of SR. Elon himself even commented that SR+ is a better deal 9% extra range for 6% extra money better interior, etc. I have no issue with Tesla dropping price on SR+ with autopilot, but I have an issue with the misleading information and lack of communication.

As more and more average people are getting their Teslas, expectations will be different, their tolerance level are not the same as the fanboys. Tesla can't continue their current process and expect everyone to act like a fanboy and tolerate everything. I hate that when fanboys come out and say they lost alot of money too when Tesla dropped the price, why are SR+ owners complaining. IT HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH PRICE. It has EVERYTHING to do with the initial presentation of SR vs SR+ that convinced us to buy SR+ instead of SR. Elon himself even commented that SR+ is a better deal 9% extra range for 6% extra money better interior, etc. I have no issue with Tesla dropping price on SR+ with autopilot, but I have an issue with the misleading information and lack of communication.

SR+ got exactly what they paid for.

35K SR is getting canned. It's not a matter of it but when. And I bet when could be as early as May 1st.

Tesla I am speculating had to make a very difficult 11th hour board room decision. Numbers not exact but its to convey a point:

A.) Spend 40K to build a car with cloth seats, solid roof, etc that sells for 35K
B.) Spend 35K to build a 3SR+ and sell it for 35K to a 3SR customer.

SR+ purchasers would rather Tesla go with option A so they can feel better about their purchase?

SR+ got exactly what they paid for.

35K SR is getting canned. It's not a matter of it but when. And I bet when could be as early as May 1st.

Tesla I am speculating had to make a very difficult 11th hour board room decision. Numbers not exact but its to convey a point:

A.) Spend 40K to build a car with cloth seats, solid roof, etc that sells for 35K
B.) Spend 35K to build a 3SR+ and sell it for 35K to a 3SR customer.

SR+ purchasers would rather Tesla go with option A so they can feel better about their purchase?
I agree with you that 35k models are going away, as I've told my friends, buy them now before they go away.

The options you listed are derived from legitimate reasoning, and I respect that. But I disagree with your assessment on SR+ purchaser's resentment.

As a SR+ owner, I don't want Tesla losing money, I want Tesla to thrive and eventually change the world with me playing a small part in it. I have no issue with people getting SR as it currently stands, it's a great deal, and I encourage people to buy it now. My problem is the announcement of SR+ with SR distinction back in February. I had my eyes set on SR for 3 years now, I would not have bought SR+ without that announcement.

Current SR+ owners vent a little on precisely that, instead of words such as,"Tesla's probably facing difficult decision similar to your options 1 and 2", SR+ owners are attacked by fanboys. I don't think I've read any complains related to price drop about SR+ with autopilot went from 40k to 39.5k on this forum.

If Tesla does good by offering the downgrade (again, promised by the blog), good, if not, life goes on. Expect more venting/dissatisfaction from non-fanboys here.

Tesla I am speculating had to make a very difficult 11th hour board room decision.

Are you telling me that these same numbers never presented itself before the 11th hour? That seems highly unlikely given they had 3 years to plan for the SR manufacturing. It seems more likely that they intended to run A/B testing during the early production phase so they can make an informed decision later on (after EOQ).

Ready. Fire. Aim. This is how Tesla seems to operate.

As a SR+ owner, I don't want Tesla losing money, I want Tesla to thrive and eventually change the world with me playing a small part in it. I have no issue with people getting SR as it currently stands, it's a great deal, and I encourage people to buy it now. My problem is the announcement of SR+ with SR distinction back in February. I had my eyes set on SR for 3 years now, I would not have bought SR+ without that announcement.
Amen. I bought SR+ and spent hours debating/talking/discussing this decision with my wife. The decision would have been much easier if I knew how close the specs were going to be in the end.

Due to my role, I deal with having to reset customer expectation all of the time, including blog posts that share incorrect product information. I think the right thing for their service leaders to do is to go to bat for the SR+ customers who ask for a discount. Not all SR+ customers will be asking for the discount, so they should just try to analyze what makes sense to do from a financial standpoint. I would probably offer $500 to any SR+ owner who placed their order after the SR was added to the online configurator, without actually downgrading them.

At the very least, Tesla should go in there and edit their blog post and include some sort of apology. Leaving it up there in its current form is a mistake. Tesla has grown it's business purely on word of mouth and referrals. Now that the car can be afforded by the masses, they're going to have typical consumer-related gripes and need to be prepared to get railed in forums and in social media. Not good, as I hope the company does survive past this year.

Well I received an answer about getting a SR with Autopilot for $35K. The answer is No. Even though they told me that on the phone, took my deposit, myTesla had that pricing, I had a VIN and delivery date on Wednesday, had my financing set up, got a price on my trade-in. Tesla in unapologetic about their incompetence. Sexy cars and the best autopilot, but that is to be weighed against them being a dumpster fire who mis-represents things to customers all the time.

...Not all SR+ customers will be asking for the discount, so they should just try to analyze what makes sense to do from a financial standpoint. I would probably offer $500 to any SR+ owner who placed their order after the SR was added to the online configurator, without actually downgrading them...

Agree, for instance I would be ok not getting money back but having SR with autopilot instead of SR+. To me autopilot > (heated seats + less range), I don’t need any if the above features but if I have to choose I’ll go with the autopilot. Actually Tesla would make an additional 500USD with me. even better if they make it even, at the end they would not lose money with me
If they won’t downgrade I won't buy the autopilot. It’s just a matter of business in my case

Agree, for instance I would be ok not getting money back but having SR with autopilot instead of SR+. To me autopilot > (heated seats + less range), I don’t need any if the above features but if I have to choose I’ll go with the autopilot. Actually Tesla would make an additional 500USD with me. even better if they make it even, at the end they would not lose money with me
If they won’t downgrade I won't buy the autopilot. It’s just a matter of business in my case

That would be a good alternative.

Has anyone successfully downgraded their SR+ to an SR?

I emailed and they replied that they can submit the request to get the process started...but I’m honestly afraid of getting downgraded and not getting a refund.

Or what the SR officially comes with.