Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s hard to know what to believe any more. Heated seats? No heated seats? Who knows.

When SR and SR+ were first announced it was $35K for SR, $37K for SR+. The extra $2K got you power “leather” seats vs manual cloth seats plus the extra 20 miles range. That alone was worth the extra $2K.

Now the seats are the same, the SR+ price has increased twice...first to $37.5K, and now to $39.5K bundled with AP. And SR now has the same interior as SR+.

So Elon’s comments that SR+ was outselling SR 6 to 1 may have been relevant based on the initial set of specs. But as it stands now it makes no sense at all to pay an extra $4,500 for the SR+. These changes just make the SR and even better value, which seems like it’s the opposite of what Tesla would want to be doing right now.

It’s hard to know what to believe any more. Heated seats? No heated seats? Who knows.

When SR and SR+ were first announced it was $35K for SR, $37K for SR+. The extra $2K got you power “leather” seats vs manual cloth seats plus the extra 20 miles range. That alone was worth the extra $2K.

Now the seats are the same, the SR+ price has increased twice...first to $37.5K, and now to $39.5K bundled with AP. And SR now has the same interior as SR+.

So Elon’s comments that SR+ was outselling SR 6 to 1 may have been relevant based on the initial set of specs. But as it stands now it makes no sense at all to pay an extra $4,500 for the SR+. These changes just make the SR and even better value, which seems like it’s the opposite of what Tesla would want to be doing right now.
I am really glad I didn't have to buy AP mandatory with my SR+

Do we know SR with AP costs $37000 or $38000 for sure?
Can people order SR without AP after Elon said all Tesla's will come with AP standard?

I've read a few posts that said $35k without AP, $38k with. I know @Reeler has posted before that his SR order first included AP for $35k but later was told it was a mistake. Did they tell you it would be $3k to add it @Reeler ?

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Do we know SR with AP costs $37000 or $38000 for sure?
Can people order SR without AP after Elon said all Tesla's will come with AP standard?

SR is $35K without AP, $38K with AP. I confirmed this with Tesla yesterday.

You can also order the LR RWD even though it is no longer on the web site. Price is $44,500. AP is an extra $3K.

For the three models on the web site, the price is bundled with AP and all three models went up in price by $2K last week. For the two models no longer on the web site (SR and LR RWD), the prices do not include AP and adding AP is an additional $3K.

So for those who do not want AP, SR and LR RWD may be good choices.

I've read a few posts that said $35k without AP, $38k with. I know @Reeler has posted before that his SR order first included AP for $35k but later was told it was a mistake. Did they tell you it would be $3k to add it @Reeler ?

I have a VIN and delivery date of today, that I had to push because I am travelling. Delivery is now on Wednesday, but I keep pushing to have an accurate MVPA and the web site updated to reflect $36K with Autopilot and paint choice. No response.

I will let this play out to see if they will honor what they promised when I ordered the first moment I heard I could get this pricing. On the phone when I put in my special order for an off-menu SR, they confirmed the price and that it would include AP. My portal reflected that pricing and feature set. That caused me to make a reservation. Not legal advice here, but when you put down a deposit on something, Tesla's ability to change pricing evaporated, mistake or not.

We'll see if Tesla honors this or slinks under a rock like the sleazy car salespersons we encounter with other brands.

I have a VIN and delivery date of today, that I had to push because I am travelling. Delivery is now on Wednesday, but I keep pushing to have an accurate MVPA and the web site updated to reflect $36K with Autopilot and paint choice. No response.

I will let this play out to see if they will honor what they promised when I ordered the first moment I heard I could get this pricing. On the phone when I put in my special order for an off-menu SR, they confirmed the price and that it would include AP. My portal reflected that pricing and feature set. That caused me to make a reservation. Not legal advice here, but when you put down a deposit on something, Tesla's ability to change pricing evaporated, mistake or not.

We'll see if Tesla honors this or slinks under a rock like the sleazy car salespersons we encounter with other brands.

Do you have an MVPA on your account yet? If so, does it list AP in the agreement?

Called again today and was told to contact the person that sold me my car. Currently on the phone with them seeing what exactly will be lost. They don't seem to know really whats going on either and is reaching out for further guidance. meaning the information is probably not going to be correct 100 percent. Keep you all updated.

Reactions: dmark1021
So from the horses mouth they said what for sure will be lost is as follows:
  • Fog Lights
  • immersive sound
  • Autopilot (The ability to get it)
  • 10 percent of battery capacity
They don't know when it will go live, or what the process is going to be or even who is eligible and for how long. They said they are emailing higher up and will get back to me once they have clarification on the remainder of the process.

So still a slight bit of confusion, although a clearer picture os starting to form with the difference.

So from the horses mouth they said what for sure will be lost is as follows:
  • Fog Lights
  • immersive sound
  • Autopilot (The ability to get it)
  • 10 percent of battery capacity
They don't know when it will go live, or what the process is going to be or even who is eligible and for how long. They said they are emailing higher up and will get back to me once they have clarification on the remainder of the process.

There's no way they'd disable the ability to add autopilot.... why would they turn down free money?

There's no way they'd disable the ability to add autopilot.... why would they turn down free money?
I'm just delivering the message!

I thought the same and the way she first worded it I thought she meant no AP as in it would come to the SR plus for free she then said no as in you would not be able to add it PERIOD.

You all are free to call your Local sales Rep and see if the infromation matches up. The more sources the better and maybe someone will get a solid answer and an actual way to start the process.

Do you have an MVPA on your account yet? If so, does it list AP in the agreement?

The MVPA has always said a SR+ for $40,500 with my paint choice, which I was told would be updated to $36K after the order a week ago. The owner portal said $36K for SR with AP and paint choice, but now says $39K for that. Tesla will not respond to my e-mails and web queries since I have been pressing this issue for a couple days.

I guess I am being ghosted despite having a delivery date and a VIN, which is in stark contrast to any car dealer for another brand that will down right stalk you the moment they get your contact info.

I picked up my SR+ on 3/30. I just called the delivery center and asked about downgrading to SR it was told that option is only specifically for people that have not taken delivery yet. I told him that's not what the blog says and if that was the case it would be within the return period anyways. He said sorry, that's what it is.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I picked up my SR+ on 3/30. I just called the delivery center and asked about downgrading to SR it was told that option is only specifically for people that have not taken delivery yet. I told him that's not what the blog says and if that was the case it would be within the return period anyways. He said sorry, that's what it is.

Unfortunately there is a complete disconnect between the people in charge of writing blogs and the people in charge of answering the phones and dealing with customer service issues. Communication at Tesla is notoriously horrible and they don’t seem to be doing anything to make it better. They would have been better off just leaving off the part about downgrading existing SR+ customers to SR. It was such an odd thing to offer to begin with and now it seems like they are backtracking and realizing it makes no sense, but they have not chosen to edit the blog to remove the reference to it. Just more Tesla sloppiness. Very frustrating for those caught in the middle of all this, but there’s probably not much you can do besides being a pain in the neck and making a pest of yourself to see if you can get them to budge.

Reactions: Reeler and Curb71