Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Download anywhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wasted 55 minutes of my time trying to download 2022.4.5 to my model Y. I cannot connect directly to WiFi because I live in an apartment complex. I have to use Personal Hotspot on my iPhoneX to do the download. And no, I do not live near any relatives, no work (I'm retired), no nearby Panera Bread or Starbucks etc, so I MUST use my iPhone. This is BS. The car communicates wirelessly, so why can't it use the same communication capabilities to download software? I did not pay all this money to be harassed, especially since I am paying for "premium connectivity". I'm glad I do not go on any lengthy trips with my car because the same BS would occur at that time. I wonder how many other owners are pissed because of this lack of convenience.

I thought premium connectivity provided software updates over cellular, but apparently not. I agree - that's ridiculous.

While I was away from home living on my boat at a marina I ran into the same problem. I tried connecting the car to the marina wireless but that's notoriously crappy and on the rare attempt that the car did connect it still won't move any data. Eventually I was able to get it to download via my phone's hotspot but it was tragically slow when other devices associated to my phone were moving data just fine.

I wish there was a way to download the update via computer onto USB drive and then plug it in to the car, but that sounds like an amazing way for a car to get hacked so I'm also glad that ISN'T possible.

According to Google Maps there's like 20 Starbucks within 10 miles of Pompton Plains, NJ.

You don't need Wifi for firmware updates. If it can't update via Wifi, after a while it will give up and update over the cell network. Just be patient.

Will cars with Standard Connectivity still receive over-the-air software updates?
Yes. All cars have access to over-the-air software updates. Learn more about over-the-air software updates and how to check for the latest version.

I'm glad I do not go on any lengthy trips with my car because the same BS would occur at that time.
You always have the choice NOT to install an update.

Also, if you're receiving a message that an update is available to install, it's already been downloaded. You just have to start the install process.

Reactions: dtintle141
I looked in the document you reference and did not see this statement.

It is my understanding you need Wi-Fi to download updates, but you do not need Wi-Fi, or even cellular, to install the update once downloaded.

My car is intentionally NOT/NEVER connected to Wifi. But Tesla still finds a way to download (and sometimes force) firmware updates onto my car. Like I said, be patient and you'll get the update, and if you have a notice an update is ready -- it's ALREADY been downloaded.

They just want people to believe that Wifi is necessary in order to keep their bandwidth costs down.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD