Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Download My Data does not show values for Export to Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Download My Data used to report negative values for kw exported to the grid (consistent with api); now only shows zero. This seems to have occurred with the latest update to gui. Is there a fix for this and/or how can I compute the export value?

Download My Data used to report negative values for kw exported to the grid (consistent with api); now only shows zero. This seems to have occurred with the latest update to gui. Is there a fix for this and/or how can I compute the export value?
When I just download my monthly data for July from the Tesla Android app v4.23.6 I see positive numbers in the "To Grid" column which is the way that it was originally before it changed to negative at some point. The "From Powerwall' and "Solar Energy" columns swapped positions which was annoying as I had to swap my historical data around so that I can just cut-and-paste new data going forward.

Note: To any lurking Tesla App GUI developers, just leave reports as-is. Changing them from release to release just causes problems for your users.

Last edited:
Day Download My Data does not show both from and to-grid data. With TOU (net metering) daily total is not useful for estimating daily costs. If Tesla is going to provide data to users, they need to specify when and what changes are made to the data display or interpretation. Not doing so makes using the data presented risky. At present, Download My Data is an unreliable app feature in need of repair.

Day Download My Data does not show both from and to-grid data. With TOU (net metering) daily total is not useful for estimating daily costs. If Tesla is going to provide data to users, they need to specify when and what changes are made to the data display or interpretation. Not doing so makes using the data presented risky. At present, Download My Data is an unreliable app feature in need of repair.
Looking at the single day data download, I have Date Time, Home, Powerwall, Solar, Grid and Energy Remaining columns. The Powerwall and Grid data are never negative which is a mistake.

I have never trusted the Tesla grid data and I use time based data download from my utility (PG&E) for TOU cost calculations.

I've also noticed that the To Grid numbers are way off. It appears they are putting the wrong data in the To Grid column. I even went back a month and the new downloaded data does not match the data I downloaded before. Everything matches except the To Grid Column.

This latest update is also showing Powerwall 'exports' as grid 'imports' in the app. They finally got that working correctly back in March and somehow broke it again.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 8.39.34 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: phsoccer
PGE "Energy Use Data -> Green Button -> Download" stopped updating for me on 9/11. Apparently, this is not supported for NEM Paired Storage tariff users and pge has now imposed that restriction! The Tesla data download is still unreliable and rules for the calculation of net grid usage are unknown/specified.

Looking for alternatives for hourly daily net grid usage data capture. Any suggestions?

PGE "Energy Use Data -> Green Button -> Download" stopped updating for me on 9/11. Apparently, this is not supported for NEM Paired Storage tariff users and pge has now imposed that restriction! The Tesla data download is still unreliable and rules for the calculation of net grid usage are unknown/specified.

Looking for alternatives for hourly daily net grid usage data capture. Any suggestions?
If you check out my recent thread on HAN (Zigbee) devices for PG&E:

PG&E and HAN (Zigbee) devices recently?

You might be able to capture that net data directly locally with a device such as a $100 Rainforest Eagle 3 or $40 Emporia Vue (the Zigbee version). From those devices' native logging interfaces, you can probably then find a way to download or pipe that data feed into other more useful places.

I can confirm that this has also stopped working for me with no data after 9/11. There is no reason what NEM-PS accounts should be prevented from getting this information as it is just basic readout data from the meter that I believe CPUC mandates providing.

In a possibly related event, on September 8th I received an updated Home Energy Report that is tailor towards solar customers. I'm surprised that the average home with solar has a net import of 701 units in the middle of summer, but I guess that is why people are getting true-ups in the $1500-2500 range.

1695052302765.png

PG&E occasionally has data outages / delays, the last one was discussed here:

I expect the data to eventually show up.

I'll second a Zigbee solution as backup, I use the Emporia Vue Utility Connect. If you need more data than just grid exports, I developed a mobile app (Solar Dash for Tesla) with improved download functionality over the Tesla app.

Reactions: Matt-FL
PG&E occasionally has data outages / delays, the last one was discussed here:

I expect the data to eventually show up.

I'll second a Zigbee solution as backup, I use the Emporia Vue Utility Connect. If you need more data than just grid exports, I developed a mobile app (Solar Dash for Tesla) with improved download functionality over the Tesla app.
Data has showed up for missing days thru 9/19.

Data has showed up for missing days thru 9/19.
I've been waiting for the missing data to backfill into my solar and consumption logging on pvoutput.org, as on 9/9 my SmartMeter was swapped out by PG&E - unfortunately coincident with the Download My Data outage. My Green Button Data as come back, sort of - I can download it, but the typical 15-minute interval data switches to only HOURLY data on 9/9 and continues to the last data points on 9/15. This is within the same CSV data file for the pats month.

So I don't know how much of this difference is due to my unique SmartMeter swap situation, and how much is due to the systemwide data outage. Anyone else look at the Green Button data for this data outage period?