Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy runs for my 2021 MY LR 7 seat 19" Geminis w/tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
Ok, I am not gonna sugarcoat this, I am a little disappointed about the times I am seeing so far. I've had my car for about 3 weeks now. Between getting PPF and ceramic coated, haven't been able to drive it as much as I wanted to before today. Today I ran a bunch of 0-60 runs and got in a full 1/4 mile run. I use Dragy as it is very accurate and gives me a lot of data. I can't really export it like I would like to do more analysis but it is good for basic info. I am going to post everyone I have done so far with my car, invalid or otherwise. Even the invalid runs have info to share.

Following will be a bunch of 0-60 runs, and one 1/4 mile run. They are in the order they were run. Apparently, I can only do 10 files so will have attach in another post the other ones. The first one, my best run 0-60 was done about 10 days ago. Temps for all these runs are similar, in the mid 80's or so except for the first 2 (low 70's). That run was done pretty quickly after taking the car out after it had set all night charged to 80% SOC. There is no way the batteries were likely up to temp. The next run after it was slower (mostly at the beginning) but much quicker at the end. I have no idea why. I could feel it barely move off the line, then it REALLY picked up at the end.

Runs 10 days ago:

IMG_1168.PNG
IMG_1169.PNG

Now lets look at the next set from today. I thought that maybe the SOC needed to be higher, and the batteries needed to be warmer. I charged today to 85% right up until I left, made some quick hard runs to try and help warm the pack. First run sucked TBH. So did the 2nd, 3rd and on until finally the 7th was about as good as my previous best. By now the SOC was down to about 75%. You can immediately tell if it is going to be a sub 5 sec run in the first moment it moves off the line. That initial 0-10 mph, and how it feel, tells me all I need to know about the run even before I get to 60. The slower runs are definitely softer off the line. I have no idea why. I've tried different methods to launch. Tip in gently and then floor it, mash it to the floor, sort of brake torque it, etc. So far the first one has been the best.
Runs today:

IMG_1170.PNG
IMG_1171.PNG
IMG_1172.PNG
IMG_1173.PNG
IMG_1174.PNG
IMG_1175.PNG
IMG_1176.PNG
IMG_1177.PNG

So far I am less than impressed. Not close enough to 4.8 with no rollout. My typical run is over 5 seconds. Being off by .2 seconds is a lot. I don't think 100% SOC is going to get me there. I wanted a good baseline before I added AB. At this point, I am concerned that maybe they are slower than when they first came out. Looking at the runs for Car and Driver's test, I am way off of their times. Not even in the same state or zip code. CD was clocking 4.7. I need to watch out for even a MachE. So I am starting to be concerned that it isn't living up to it specs. The MYP and M3P pretty much hit theirs every time. So maybe I am missing something here. Maybe the SOC is making the difference but I can't charge to 100% every day to get the performance it should have. Maybe Tesla needs to add even more asterisks to their times... In another post I'll my remaining Dragy runs that has the 1/4 mile run. When I ran the MYP and M3P, even on a very hot day and about 80% SOC, they hit their numbers or very close to it. What is also disconcerting is the times are all over the map. On other Teslas I've ran, they were like clockwork knocking off almost the same time every time and were more consistent run to run.

When you are talking about a car that is already 4400 pounds, if you are 240 vs 150, not going to be a huge impact though there will be one. I thought about the weight of the extra seats but I can't find an exact weight for the 7 seat config anywhere. So if anyone knows, it would be great to quantify it.

I would really like to understand why the launches vary so much even when I do them the same way. I am doing them on the same stretch of road, with the same traction control setup. I've done quite a few runs in other MYs and M3s and less variation and consistently better launches. I have to say that once the car is off the line, it seems to be pretty normal compared to other ones I drove but the trap speed is way down. It is off by about 3-4 mph which is significant. This is comparing it to another MY LR. Also compared to the 2020 C&D tested it is down.

Anyway hopefully the data will help other people that are performance oriented. The really soft launch off the line is pretty annoying at times. If you look at the red line showing the g's of acceleration, it gives a very good visual of what is going on. The more vertical it is at the launch, the harder the launch. There can be over a .2 seconds variation just going to 10 mph. The runs are made or broken in the 0-10 mph range. So it is like some sort of torque limiter here at work. As from 10-60 mph the runs are pretty consistent taking about 4.2 seconds every time.

I added the acceleration boost to my car. I've been driving it for a few days now. It pretty much knocked off exactly 0.6 seconds off my 0-60 times. They are still slower than advertised. What was also appreciated it is also knocked off about 0.4-0.5 seconds off my 30-70 mph which wasn't bad to begin with.

What is even more interesting is my 30-70 mph time is only off ~0.6 seconds from the last M3P I tested. I don't have any data for the MYP but the M3P is quicker in any scenario that I tested. The M3P is really strong in that speed range and to be that close is pretty impressive (2.7 vs 3.3). I was usually around 3.8 with my best run of 3.7 before in the 30-70 range.

As for 0-60, my boosted MY LR runs about the same as a stock M3 LR now. It is a just touch quicker in the 30-70 mph range than the M3 LR. If you are on the fence about doing this info might help you make a decision. After driving the M3 LR, I thought it would make a good daily driver and had enough acceleration to make it fun on a daily basis. TBH, the MY LR wasn't fast enough but after reading about the acceleration boost, and my wife's unhappiness with some aspects of the MYP, we ordered the MY LR. I knew stock I would likely be bored but since it was mostly for her, it was worth a shot. The boost it just enough to give us the performance of the M3 LR, no impact on range in normal driving, and more room that my wife wanted and saved us $8k over buying the MYP. All in all it has worked out great and we'll have a little extra punch if needed when towing. So maybe a new acronym; MYLR7AB.

I am waiting until I can get an entire 1/4 mile run and then I'll post them all.

My best is 4.41 so far with a 70% SOC. Dragy did something weird on that run and broke up the segments in 6 mph increments instead of 10 mph. So I have 0-6, 0-12, 0-18, etc.

I think I am likely tracking toward that 12.5-12.6 range for 1/4. Keep in mind I am not running a warmed up battery pack or full charge. I want to know what it will do at pretty much anytime I take it out. Maybe there is more there but I can see charging it to 100% all the time to get it. I don't care about any sort of bragging rights. I just want a consistently fun, reasonably quick, daily driver until our S shows up. I finally have that with the AB.

A few things at play with that decision. I was originally leaning toward the refreshed S but no towing capability that would be covered under warranty, and didn't like the X. So we started looking at the MY and I was more interested in the MYP. So ordered one of those. Took a few for test drives and wasn't overly impressed with the ride or handling and hated the 21" Uber wheels. My wife was even less happy with the ride quality so she pushed pretty hard to look at other models.

So we drove the M3P, M3 LR, and MY LR as well. Ultimately we ended up changing from the MYP to the MY LR. Tesla bungled the order change to put it mildly. This was when we were down to about 2 weeks to finally get our MYP. I had sold our trade (tow vehicle) since it was so close to delivery date. By the time Tesla sorted out their mistake, we were looking even worse for a delivery date if I had just started a new order. Our EDD went from 2 weeks on the MYP to 6 weeks away, and then it went to about 9-11 weeks out.

So started checking inventory every few hours. Found a few options but by the time I got in touch with our SA to change the order, and they finfally got around to it, a MY LR similar to our order was gone. So I found a few demos and inventory cars as options one day and decided to sit on their doorstep and get one that would work for us. By the time Tesla opened up, almost every one of the 30 or so that would work and I had identified the night before and checked before driving in were gone. While looking through inventory there was a 7 seater that just popped up that was identical to my other order than the 7 seats.

I told the SA to grab it and we ended up with the 7 seater. Not my original choice but it has turned out pretty well so far. There are 5 people in the household and one of those is a toddler. If my inlaws come, we'll need all the seats. As it is now, it gives us more room to spread out. Not really sure what the weight penalty is for the extra seats but I just found some dragy runs for testing a MY LR 5 seater earlier.

So looking back at it, it was at a 95% SOC and had just come off the supercharger. Not sure how hot the batteries were but a higher SOC for its runs than my runs. It ran .02 seconds quicker than my best run 0-60. Looking at the data for it, my 7 seater was faster than that 5 seater until somewhere after 50 mph (stock vs stock). I think the 2021 MY LRs might be slower than the 2020 MY LRs in some situations. Scroll down to the 2020 data from the MY LR in this complete list of Motor Trend for Teslas. The info is captured here.

2020 Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Long Range​

0-60: 4.1 seconds
¼ mile: 12.4 seconds at 114.8 mph
Figure eight: 25.2 seconds at 0.75 g (avg)
60-0: 118 feet

That car that was supposedly stock will kick a 2021 MY LR with AB's butt all over the place. It is .6 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile than my car stock It is 0.8-0.9 seconds quicker 0-60. Even with AB I can't run those Motor Trend times. Did Tesla slip them a super quick version? Even C&D got better times 0-60 for their 2020 than I've seen any stock 2021 MY LR run by an accurate timing device. Not to mention they ran a 12.5 @114 mph. That is an easy 1/2 second quicker and 4 mph faster. Yet if you look at their 30-70 times, mine is running dead even with theirs (stock for stock). So if my car was a lot heavier, it should have shown up in the 30-70 mph times as well. So why did the 2021s get slower?

Anyway when we have play dates for our toddler, we can take more kids with them and convert them to future EV owners. Our kids now calls out the Tesla and says they want the "vroom, vroom car." Vroom, vroom started with taking them on one of the motorcycles we have that accelerates well. So when they want good acceleration, they ask for the Tesla instead of our other cars.

I am waiting until I can get an entire 1/4 mile run and then I'll post them all.

My best is 4.41 so far with a 70% SOC. Dragy did something weird on that run and broke up the segments in 6 mph increments instead of 10 mph. So I have 0-6, 0-12, 0-18, etc.

I think I am likely tracking toward that 12.5-12.6 range for 1/4. Keep in mind I am not running a warmed up battery pack or full charge. I want to know what it will do at pretty much anytime I take it out. Maybe there is more there but I can see charging it to 100% all the time to get it. I don't care about any sort of bragging rights. I just want a consistently fun, reasonably quick, daily driver until our S shows up. I finally have that with the AB.
Thats fine... thats more "real world" conditions for me.

Can I ask why you wanted the 7 seater? Do you have 5 kids or something?
Personally, I just like having the option available. There have been times when I've needed 1 extra seat. I keep my cars for 10yrs or so and I'm imagining it will come in useful maybe a couple times a year. A majority of the time it will be in a 5-seat config. I didnt think the storage loss was that significant for the ability to carry a couple more people when needed.

Reactions: DayTrippin
Thats fine... thats more "real world" conditions for me.
That was the best thing about the AB for me. It is still quick no matter what state of charge. If I didn't have a high enough SOC, and the batteries weren't warm, yada yada, I was in the 5 second range for 0-60. So far the worst I've seen is 4.6 at just under a 40% SOC.

Before I felt like I had to keep it always at a higher SOC to even remotely get the performance I wanted and even then it wasn't as quick as I wanted it to be or it should have been. Now I enjoy the acceleration no matter what SOC I am at.

Thanks for the tip. We are at 40 now and it seems the ride is good enough my wife is happy. Her comment was that the Tesla we ended up rode better than any of the others we test drove.

That would be compared to 9 others of various flavors (M3P, M3 LR, MYP and MY LR). Maybe the extra weight (assuming it is heavier as I can't find any stats about it) makes it ride better. With respect to traction, I don't notice any wheelspin but I may try some runs and change the slip start setting to see if that matters.

Thanks for sharing the amount of the weight difference. That is honestly less than I thought it would be. I'll have to take my car to a scale and weigh it. Then I'll have a definitive number to share.

What is odd is I took my 250# son in the car on a run and we were still under 4.5 (4.48) seconds on a 67% SOC. This was better than my 2nd run alone and not far off my best run. I would have thought he would have made a significant difference.

What is odd, and I mentioned it upstream, when I look at my times 30-70 mph stock, they were as fast as C&D's in the same speed range even though my 0-60 times seriously lagged theirs. So if the extra weight of my car slowed me that much to 60, why didn't it slow me in the 30-70 range as well? Also as I mentioned, I found a run where I tested the 5 seat MY LR and it was almost identical to my 7 seater and it had a higher state of charge than mine. It also lagged the Tesla advertised numbers by a fair amount.

Thanks for sharing the amount of the weight difference. That is honestly less than I thought it would be. I'll have to take my car to a scale and weigh it. Then I'll have a definitive number to share.

You don't have to take it to a scale. Take the payload from the sticker on the driver's door jamb and subtract it from the GVWR (on the other sticker on the door jamb). That's what your car weighed from the factory before you add anything. My 2020 AWD LR 5 seater is 5302-826=4476#.

What is odd is I took my 250# son in the car on a run and we were still under 4.5 (4.48) seconds on a 67% SOC. This was better than my 2nd run alone and not far off my best run. I would have thought he would have made a significant difference.

What is odd, and I mentioned it upstream, when I look at my times 30-70 mph stock, they were as fast as C&D's in the same speed range even though my 0-60 times seriously lagged theirs. So if the extra weight of my car slowed me that much to 60, why didn't it slow me in the 30-70 range as well? Also as I mentioned, I found a run where I tested the 5 seat MY LR and it was almost identical to my 7 seater and it had a higher state of charge than mine. It also lagged the Tesla advertised numbers by a fair amount.
There's a scale I can go to at the dump. But I dont have a regular MY to compare it to. I'd like to have both cars on the same scale.

You don't have to take it to a scale. Take the payload from the sticker on the driver's door jamb and subtract it from the GVWR (on the other sticker on the door jamb). That's what your car weighed from the factory before you add anything. My 2020 AWD LR 5 seater is 5302-826=4476#.
I get that but the scale isn't going to lie. ;-)

Just found out something interesting while looking at data for the MYP. Based on what C&D got for their 2020 MYP and looking at the data for my car with boost, I am within ~0 .1 seconds from 30-70 mph. My runs were done with a 70% SOC and likely the C&D runs were done closer to a full charge. From what I've seen SOC has less of an effect from about 0-45 mph or so but seems to have a pretty significant affect above that.

Even not factoring in the SOC advantage, I am at worst about 0.15 seconds (depending on how they rounded) slower than the MYP in the 30-70 sprint. This lines up nicely with the testing I saw in the UK of a M3P vs a boosted M3 LR where the M3 LR actually started to pull the M3P at about 70 mph. So basically if you are buying the MYP, you get a significant boost up to maybe 30-40 mph and then it isn't much better, if at all, than the MY LR. When I look at one run of 30-50 vs their best, I am only off .06 seconds the MYP's best. Looking at 50-70 I am off about 0.09 seconds the MYP's time and this is where I know a lower state of charge clearly has an effect.

So I can quantify the advantage for me of the MYP vs my MYLR7AB. I could have paid 8k more to be less than 0.7 seconds quicker than my car. I had no idea it would be that close. If my car was closer to the claimed 0-60 times stock, the delta would be even less. The acceleration boost is a screaming deal in my book. I am glad I didn't buy the MYP. From a roll of about 30 mph, I basically have the equivalent acceleration of the MYP but I can still load up 5 adults and 2 munchkins if I need to.