Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am totally relaxed about the Nevera being faster than the Plaid.
They are totally different cars with totally different intended audiences, prices and use cases.
How many times will I see a Nevera? Nevera.
I don't care about the comparison. Let the Rimac be a faster, rarer, sportier car. It's no competition for the Model S in any way :)
I’m totally fine with an electric supercar being faster than an electric sedan. I’m just glad they’re electric.

Roadster territory. I doubt Plaid ever sees a power boost.

I think it will get a power boost eventually. Times will move ahead and everything will get faster. Nevera won't trigger it though. Maybe if something like the Taycan't tries to counter. Or an EV from Dodge.

Nevera could impact how much power the Roadster gets though (as @2021plaid indicated)

Last edited:
I am totally relaxed about the Nevera being faster than the Plaid.
They are totally different cars with totally different intended audiences, prices and use cases.
How many times will I see a Nevera? Nevera.
I don't care about the comparison. Let the Rimac be a faster, rarer, sportier car. It's no competition for the Model S in any way :)

This is the way I feel about it also. The Plaid is still faster than any other multi-million dollar car. Any Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Mclaren, ,..

Regarding value, the LR is the better value. The second best car in any line up almost always is. However, and it’s been discussed many times, in terms of performance, the Plaid beats any production hypercar/hyperbike ever made. In that regards, the Plaid is just unbeatable value.

The Rimac will destroy the Plaid it won’t be close. Almost a second at 165+mph is colossal.

I read engineers told people at the Plaid event they could get 1200hp from the Plaid. So it’s possible they are gonna boost it down the line but they won’t do it for the Rimac. First even with 1200hp it will still get beaten badly. Second, it’s not a real competitor. Too expensive and too limited. It’s barely a production car. I watched the video and was thinking it’s like Rimac did 150 concept cars. Interior looks cheap/basic for a multi million car. Far from Bugatti or Pagani. Funny Bugatti bought them, they want the tech but certainly not the interior fit/finish.

If Lucid was to barely edge the Plaid, then you will see the power boost. But in all honesty, at this point it’s purely bragging rights. Ain’t competition good? 😁

Last edited:
I read engineers told people at the Plaid event they could get 1200hp from the Plaid. So it’s possible they are gonna boost it down the line but they won’t do it for the Rimac. First even with 1200hp it will still get beaten badly.
I was at the event, and the engineer I was speaking to said each motor was rated at 400hp, so theoretically a total of 1200hp is possible.

However, the battery needs to deliver that amount to the motors including wiring and inverter losses, which is not possible at the moment. Not sure it will ever be with the current pack’s architecture, but let’s see how things develop.

I think the Rimac is cool and my peacock features are not drooping that it is faster. :) I think it is amazing how close our favorite dog hauling family sedan is to the purpose-built, $2.7M, carbon fiber monocoque, yada yada sports car. I think it does guarantee that the Roadster will be completely off the hook.

I think we will see some sort of speed boost as Tesla gets more data on how the Plaids behave, maybe they will try to chase the 0-60 1.9s. I agree the Rimac will be well ahead of the Plaid, but I really want to see how the interim steps (60 ft, etc) break down. I think, one overlooked aspect of this is the SW engineering--at those speeds, the computers are doing most of the heavy lifting and some of it is going to come down to who has smarter algorithms.

One of the things I really liked was the performance controls and graphs in the SW for the Rimac -- hopefully that gives Tesla engineers some ideas on things they could add to our cars.

I think the Rimac is cool and my peacock features are not drooping that it is faster. :) I think it is amazing how close our favorite dog hauling family sedan is to the purpose-built, $2.7M, carbon fiber monocoque, yada yada sports car. I think it does guarantee that the Roadster will be completely off the hook.

I think we will see some sort of speed boost as Tesla gets more data on how the Plaids behave, maybe they will try to chase the 0-60 1.9s. I agree the Rimac will be well ahead of the Plaid, but I really want to see how the interim steps (60 ft, etc) break down. I think, one overlooked aspect of this is the SW engineering--at those speeds, the computers are doing most of the heavy lifting and some of it is going to come down to who has smarter algorithms.

One of the things I really liked was the performance controls and graphs in the SW for the Rimac -- hopefully that gives Tesla engineers some ideas on things they could add to our cars.
I think I saw the Rimac hit 1.44 60 ft once and I've seen the tesla do 1.48 many times on the track. Both of those are very impressive for street tires.

Roadster is currently spec'd at 8.8s quarter mile. By "off the hook" do you mean you believe they will improve upon that number to try and match/beat Nevera? I could see that happening.

At first I really wanted to go with the Plaid. My wife (bless her) talked me down from that ledge so to speak. As impressive as it is, I wouldn't really get to enjoy its improved performance over the LR we have on order. Since we needed something to tow with, her idea of not buying the Plaid and getting an MY and MS LR made a lot of sense.

While the Plaid will runaway and hide from the LR, all the posts I've seen here show the LR is pretty impressive in its own right. I am not chasing the "I have the fastest/quickest/coolest/etc. EV title. Just want a great family car and it really looks like the MS LR will deliver when it finally shows up in our garage. Still have my doubts about the yoke but the rest is looking pretty amazing.

I'll live vicariously through all the other Plaid owners and their track runs and can't wait to see if anyone finds a way to tweak the performance even more. If Tesla offers an acceleration boost option like they did for my MY, for the MS LR, I'll pull the triggers as fast as I can.

Roadster territory. I doubt Plaid ever sees a power boost.

Franz already said they will get into the 8's. So while the current Plaid S may not get a boost, future iterations of the car certainly will be quicker. I would imagine this will happen when they switch to the 4680 cells, what was suppose to be the Plaid+ but they will just call it Plaid. Once they switch to 4680's they will have no reason to keep producing the older cells.