Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with guys now gutting the interior to get ET, down in the low 9s, got me thinking, the biggest obstacle for am EV on the dragstrip and track is the battery, times could be cut tremendously by cutting battery size in half. Range is gone, but so is probably 1000 plus lbs. This is the obstacle that the Plaid can't overcome, weight is the BIG X factor.

I admit, I absolutely live the sound of a V8!! Especially as it fades away in the distance as I pull several car lenghts ahead. Magical! 🤩
My point was...if your going to start gutting the car, you are limited due to battery weight and you basically have nothing more than a slow ET car when it comes to even V8 drag cars on all motor, not to mention turbo or nitro. If you going to leave it stock, then great, you've got a HELL of an everyday driver, but it's not a drag car. As I've stated before, my family has a SB Ford that runs in the 8.5s, which as "everyone" has mentioned is light years ahead of 9.2 in car lengths :)

FYI: Naturally Aspirated V8

My point was...if your going to start gutting the car, you are limited due to battery weight and you basically have nothing more than a slow ET car when it comes to even V8 drag cars on all motor, not to mention turbo or nitro. If you going to leave it stock, then great, you've got a HELL of an everyday driver, but it's not a drag car. As I've stated before, my family has a SB Ford that runs in the 8.5s, which as "everyone" has mentioned is light years ahead of 9.2 in car lengths :)

FYI: Naturally Aspirated V8
It wasn’t in response to you. It’s just my classical answer to ice cars friends who say yeah EVs are quick but they have no sound. 😁

A 8sec car is crazy quick. But it probably is super dedicated to drag as getting in the 8s usually requires drag radials, cage, chute and a ton of power and weight reduction upgrades. Usually trailered to the track as well. The fact the ~5000lbs luxury sedan runs low 9s while kids watch Netflix in the backseat is indeed alien technology as others have said. Incredible times to be a car lover.

cutting battery size in half.
It doesn't work like that.
Halve the Tesla battery and the car gets SLOWER as less current is available.
A different pack chemistry and / or co figuration MIGHT help , but then your range would plummet dramatically.
Which would defeat the point of a silent, comfy, family-hauling, long-range spaceship for the road.

It wasn’t in response to you. It’s just my classical answer to ice cars friends who say yeah EVs are quick but they have no sound. 😁

A 8sec car is crazy quick. But it probably is super dedicated to drag as getting in the 8s usually requires drag radials, cage, chute and a ton of power and weight reduction upgrades. Usually trailered to the track as well. The fact the ~5000lbs luxury sedan runs low 9s while kids watch Netflix in the backseat is indeed alien technology as others have said. Incredible times to be a car lover.
Got no problem with that, I think the Plaid is a GREAT car. Yes it's pretty much all they've thought of to get it into the 8s.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
It doesn't work like that.
Halve the Tesla battery and the car gets SLOWER as less current is available.
A different pack chemistry and / or co figuration MIGHT help , but then your range would plummet dramatically.
Which would defeat the point of a silent, comfy, family-hauling, long-range spaceship for the road.
My point, exactly.
Just makes me cringe seeing someone dismantle a Great car to put it on drag strip.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I was gonna post that video. I’m not a big fan of these guys, however that video showed how quick it is in real life. The 720s gets pulled quite easily. The Pista looks standing still.

I liked how we could see how quick it launched from zero. It will be beat by some highly tuned drag cars at the track, but on the street, pretty much nothing can touch it. I can’t imagine what street car can beat the Plaid from a stoplight.

I was gonna post that video. I’m not a big fan of these guys, however that video showed how quick it is in real life. The 720s gets pulled quite easily. The Pista looks standing still.

I liked how we could see how quick it launched from zero. It will be beat by some highly tuned drag cars at the track, but on the street, pretty much nothing can touch it. I can’t imagine what street car can beat the Plaid from a stoplight.
It's almost impossible. It would have to be Tesla's own Roadster, or one of the 4 EV hypercars in the $2 million+ price point.

Reactions: AMGF