Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems appropriate to post this image now. Better order it RN before someone else does. Too bad it’s already taken in Texas
647DF9C1-E843-4654-B8CF-FDD0D0970DD8.jpeg

Geeking out with the CANbus data. Still a newbie, but did manage to pull this data, which I found interesting (although maybe something y'all already know). Here is there data from a Drag Strip + Cheetah launch--per Draggy is was 0-60 in 2.38s but I did not let off right at 60 :)
  • Grey trace is pedal position (0-100%)
  • Blue traces are amps to rear motors
  • Green trace is amps to front motor
  • Purple is amp draw from the HV battery
  • Red trace is vehicle speed
  • A is going into cheetah mode
  • B is when violence ensures :)
Things I found interesting
  • The car pre-torques the motors during the cheetah set-up (amps are flowing to motor while brakes are still engaged). This also explains something that happened to me at the drag stip--I was in cheetah mode too long (other car was having trouble staging) and the car popped out--now I get why
  • Rear wheels are doing most of the work
  • 2300 effing amps flying around under my butt!
  • I wonder the taper about halfway through the acceleration--wonder if that is because the car is hitting design limits or this is the sandbagging?
I am looking at amps became those are the signals I have found so far--looking for the singles for torque of kW.

launch graph.jpg

Geeking out with the CANbus data. Still a newbie, but did manage to pull this data, which I found interesting (although maybe something y'all already know). Here is there data from a Drag Strip + Cheetah launch--per Draggy is was 0-60 in 2.38s but I did not let off right at 60 :)
  • The car pre-torques the motors during the cheetah set-up (amps are flowing to motor while brakes are still engaged). This also explains something that happened to me at the drag stip--I was in cheetah mode too long (other car was having trouble staging) and the car popped out--now I get why
  • I wonder the taper about halfway through the acceleration--wonder if that is because the car is hitting design limits or this is the sandbagging?
I am looking at amps became those are the signals I have found so far--looking for the singles for torque of kW.

View attachment 689798
Curious how left rear, right rear, and front motor current taper off half-way but battery current remains unchanged. Where does that extra current go? Is there a graph of voltage as well?

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
Curious how left rear, right rear, and front motor current taper off half-way but battery current remains unchanged. Where does that extra current go? Is there a graph of voltage as well?
Probably, I am still digging, stay tuned :). Might have to do with the the way the data is reported--notice how the amps at the battery are zero while the motors are drawing something.

Reactions: AMGF

View attachment 689798
How are you tapping into canbus? I know how to on the model 3 but haven’t heard of any S owners caring or being able to.

How are you tapping into canbus? I know how to on the model 3 but haven’t heard of any S owners caring or being able to.
The the diag port and what looks like a network cable are behind a panel on the underside of the display. You need to remove the phone charging tray (pull up from the bottom, the gently slide down and towards you, but be careful, lots of wires behind it and you don't need to move it far) then pull down on the little panel right above it--useful if you have a trim removal tool to do this. If you do this, be careful and don't blame me if you break something.

Apparently, this cable works: Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable (Sept 2015 and up) – Crimped OBD-II – Maxwell Automotive Technologies -- someone was kind enough to make one for me as a thank you for helping out, so I cannot verify that.

To that, I have connect the excellent CANserver built by @JWardell to collect the data. I have been using the also excellent Teslax written by @AllAboutJake and I have started digging into the data with SavvyCAN (that is where there graphs are from). These are just the tools I ended up with. There are lots of other cool tools out there like ScanMyTesla by @amund7 .

Or the quoted 1020hp is after losses through the motor and it really is producing that much hp at the motor? That seems like excessive loss though.
I was thinking long the same lines--that the graph is the electrical power being delivered and not the mechanical power being created. Let me look at the other values and see if they offer some context.