Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone interested in Dragy times for an LR, and my observations of effects of SoC on the LR, starting with post #63 to 86 (currently), I've posted a lot of Dragy runs for reference. My observations so far is things that might help the Plaid make no difference on my LR.

Dragstrip mode (I abbreviate- 'DSM') and cheetah (I abbreviate 'C' and combined 'DSMC') seem to make no difference. Same as running AC or not. From mid 70% to 100% SoC don't really seem to matter (I haven't tested lower). My hypothesis is all the stuff done to handle the Plaid's load on the battery pack give an incredible amount of headroom for the LR. So even if not up to temps, or other load on it (AC), there is a surplus of available power from the battery to handle the relatively (compared to Plaid) load.

To quantify the variations in time, for best run to worst run is .13 seconds when in similar load in the car. Some of my best runs were with about 75% charge and no DSM or DSMC. Just a touch off my absolute best which was 100% SoC and DSMC. At 97% charge, no DSMC, I was only .02 seconds slower and now wait for it to get into cheetah stance. I also found I can make 10 runs back to back with very little variation in time and no real drop off in performance.

So what I learned so far is my car is pretty consistent at least between 75-100% SoC. DSM or DSMC has no real benefit, even to warm up the batteries after my car sat for 5 hours and ambient temp was mid 80's. I could see the benefit on a really cold day for sure, but all my runs were mid 70's or better for temps.

Lastly it never once hit the claimed times by Tesla. The last M3P I drove could beat the claimed times. I don't think traction is really an issue her but someday I'll take it to a track and see if it matters. Based on my runs, on my car, a freshly charged M3P is going to beat my S off the line every time, and highly likely to 60 mph. At 30 mph though the LR has closed the deficit it had at the start and will start to reel in the M3P. Tesla REALLY neutered the launch on this car. If it launched as hard at the M3P to 30 mph, this car would be running probably 2.8 0-60. The LR would be a perfect candidate for boost. The launch really lets down the overall acceleration of the car.

My initial thought is that you seem more fit for a plaid. But you’re really just asking for the car to perform as advertised. So i can’t be critical. That being said, if the LR gets down to mid 2s or slightly higher the value proposition for the plaid drops a lot, unless you do a lot of drag racing in controlled environments. Ive only been driving my plaid a few days but I can already tell there’s very little opportunity to stretch it out between traffic and legalities.

My initial thought is that you seem more fit for a plaid. But you’re really just asking for the car to perform as advertised. So i can’t be critical. That being said, if the LR gets down to mid 2s or slightly higher the value proposition for the plaid drops a lot, unless you do a lot of drag racing in controlled environments. Ive only been driving my plaid a few days but I can already tell there’s very little opportunity to stretch it out between traffic and legalities.
I probably would have bought the Plaid if I didn't already have 2 stupid quick motorcycles and one just a bit slower than the Plaid. I am more of a bike person than car. However as you've already noticed, being able to stretch the Plaids legs is pretty difficult in most environments. The LR already has that issue and Plaid would just compounding it. At home I am lucky if I can ever open it up for more than a 4 second burst or so. It is pretty much limited getting on to I75 in Dallas where I live. I nail it on the on ramp and brake hard before merging. I ordered it when I had more open roads in Florida.

As for performance, I just want what I was promised. One of the key points of ordering was the promised 3.1 with no 'effing with rollout, or without rollout. Just a true 3.1 seconds from the time you punch the throttle until you hit 60. Which should have been quicker than the M3P but it isn't and I feel misled. I haven't seen a single MS LR hit 3.1 sec to 60 mph per the claim of Tesla. I always hated the game of timing factoring rollout. It should be just 3.1 from the time you hit the throttle, car moves and until hit 60 mph. I think I saw on here where their refreshed X LR did it in 3.3, which is about the same as my S is doing it and the X is a lot heavier.

I had thought about ordering the M3P at the time but went with the LR as I wanted something quicker than any version of the 3, more comfy, with ventilated seats and more room but I didn't need the Plaid's level of performance. I figured I'd get my adrenaline rush on my bikes and the LR would be a good daily driver that would be quicker than the M3P which I had driven extensively. It would be like buying a Plaid and it never runs better than 2.4 on the street. Something is clearly off. At least on the Plaid you might think traction but on the LR, not as much of an issue.

I probably would have bought the Plaid if I didn't already have 2 stupid quick motorcycles and one just a bit slower than the Plaid. I am more of a bike person than car. However as you've already noticed, being able to stretch the Plaids legs is pretty difficult in most environments. The LR already has that issue and Plaid would just compounding it. At home I am lucky if I can ever open it up for more than a 4 second burst or so. It is pretty much limited getting on to I75 in Dallas where I live. I nail it on the on ramp and brake hard before merging. I ordered it when I had more open roads in Florida.

As for performance, I just want what I was promised. One of the key points of ordering was the promised 3.1 with no 'effing with rollout, or without rollout. Just a true 3.1 seconds from the time you punch the throttle until you hit 60. Which should have been quicker than the M3P but it isn't and I feel misled. I haven't seen a single MS LR hit 3.1 sec to 60 mph per the claim of Tesla. I always hated the game of timing factoring rollout. It should be just 3.1 from the time you hit the throttle, car moves and until hit 60 mph. I think I saw on here where their refreshed X LR did it in 3.3, which is about the same as my S is doing it and the X is a lot heavier.

I had thought about ordering the M3P at the time but went with the LR as I wanted something quicker than any version of the 3, more comfy, with ventilated seats and more room but I didn't need the Plaid's level of performance. I figured I'd get my adrenaline rush on my bikes and the LR would be a good daily driver that would be quicker than the M3P which I had driven extensively. It would be like buying a Plaid and it never runs better than 2.4 on the street. Something is clearly off. At least on the Plaid you might think traction but on the LR, not as much of an issue.
Hello to a fellow Dallas resident!

Can't argue with anything you're saying. However, you may just need to forget about the 0-60 or just sell the vehicle if it bothers you that much. The model 3/Y isn't an option for me simply due to aesthetics and size. The LR is still going to be quicker than just about anything on the street short of $250k plus cars.

Hello to a fellow Dallas resident!

Can't argue with anything you're saying. However, you may just need to forget about the 0-60 or just sell the vehicle if it bothers you that much. The model 3/Y isn't an option for me simply due to aesthetics and size. The LR is still going to be quicker than just about anything on the street short of $250k plus cars.
Hey, glad to see someone else from Dallas here. You know the traffic all too well I assume.

I am not gonna lie, it bothers the heck out of me that I am not remotely getting the times claimed. This is my 3rd Tesla and the first one to basically miss the claimed performance by a mile so to speak.

It has been revealing in some ways all the testing I've done so far. At the same time it confirmed my gut instincts that is was never running 3.1. That is the part that really irks me. I paid for performance that I am not getting. They sold me on the claimed 0-60 as that was one of my key buying points.

What has been very interesting in my testing so far is that that all the engineering to get the Plaid the power it needs means it doesn't really seem to matter for the SoC, reasonable battery temps, cheetah stance, AC, etc. for the car to be pretty quick. I probably did 20 runs over 20 minutes and 10 of them basically as quick as I could do them, and I never saw any real drop off in performance, not even when not using drag strip mode. That part is pretty encouraging.

On my 3/Y, a couple good runs at first and performance started to fall off. On the street though how often are you really going to make back to back to back to back hits? Usually it is a one and done and you smoked them.

The thing I have always appreciate is how the car really seems to come alive at about 30 mph. It just feels so held back until then and looking at my Dragy times and comparing to the runs I have for other cars confirm that. Unfortunately living in almost downtown Dallas, no really place to really open it up anywhere in the city and the free way is a parking lot. That is where I would enjoy more of the off the line punch since I could actually use it more often though even then it wouldn't be more than a 2 second burst.

In the end I have a greater appreciation for the resilience of the car and basically no fuss to get it to run its less than promised times but it can run them consistently. I think the run that impressed me the most was the car had sat for a while, mid 70's SoC, no preconditioning of the pack, no cheetah, AC on but no pre-cooling of cabin so working hard to cool down the 100+ cabin temps, and about 20 seconds of driving at about 15 mph and it still ran a 3.37 to 60. That was basically everything stacked against it and it was only .09 seconds off my absolute best run to date.

In the end that is much more useful for me on an average day than needing something like 100% SoC, DSMC, no AC, no radio, etc. to run a 3.1 and then have the performance fall off a lot if everything isn't ideal. I still expect my car to deliver what was promised so I'll bring it up with Tesla at some point only to be told it is in spec. A run at a prepped track will tell me if I am traction limited. I don't think I am as I made a pretty good pass on a wet road so it should have shown up there.

I haven’t done nearly enough testing with mine, but I do wonder if there are significant variances in performance across the same model. Much like with ice cars you have some factory freaks. Maybe some of these EVs just don’t come out as strong as others for whatever reason. Again, pure speculation. Even for plaid, I keep seeing dragy times posted 2.4-2.7 on the street, yet Brooks (dragtimes guy) pulls a 2.19 with no drag mode at 79% soc.

I have thought through that aspect a lot. I think electric motors are a lot more consistent in their build than ICE motors. I can see the variation on the Plaid being greater and more likely since it is really pushing the limits of traction. The problem is I haven't seen a single post of the LR that hit the claimed time of Tesla. Almost any other model you will see a fair amount of post of people meeting the claims or even beating them.

All I want is what I paid for. Simple as that. Traction isn't likely the issue it is for Plaids. Ditto for the battery pack as I've surmised in my hypothesis above. I was looking through all my past runs of Teslas and the only thing I've found that launches softer off the line was my MYLR with 7 seats. That is where it seems the problem is, at least for my car, and the other people's runs I've seen; the launch and to about 20 mph.

There is none of that hard hit you get with a Plaid, M3P or even MYP at the launch. It seems like from early testing they dialed back the initial launch in the software. I had seen others post their times before me and my reaction was WTF? They were off as much as mine if not more. The initial speculation was maybe they weren't doing this, that or the other. Well I exhausted all those options and didn't make a difference on mine. Doubt it would have on theirs if anything like my car.

Knowing what I know now, I think it would have impacted my purchasing decision. I probably wouldn't have ordered the MS LR. I might have gone with the Plaid or just purchased an M3P.

I have a MS LR as well, mine's from 3/22 with the stock 21" wheels and Michelin PS4 tires. I can't imagine I'm having traction problems given that the same wheels and tires do 2.2 seconds to 60 on a Plaid, and I've never heard the tires chirping (as opposed to the BMW i4-M50).

I've never gotten faster than 3.41s 0-60, measured with a Vbox, albeit without Dragstrip mode. Before the Model S, I had a 2019 Model 3 LR with acceleration boost and 18" wheels. My best 0-60 run with it was 3.74 seconds. What's interesting is the progression over time. I'm comparing my own measurements to those of someone with a Model 3 Performance below. All times are measured from a standstill (no rollout BS). The first number is 0-10mph, then 0-20mph, 0-30mph, 0-40mph, 0-50mph, 0-60mph.

2022 MSLR: 0.55, 1.11, 1.66, 2.21, 2.78, 3.41
2019 M3LR+: 0.56, 1.16, 1.76, 2.36, 2.99, 3.74
M3Performance: 0.53, 1.03, 1.54, 2.08, 2.65, 3.35

I'm in the same boat as you, @DayTrippin, in that I was deciding between the M3P and the MSLR and the faster 0-60 time played a big role in my decision to get the LR. The other features you mentioned, as well as the increased comfort an noise level are significant and I don't exactly regret my decision, but I do feel misled by Tesla's false advertising. I might have kept the M3LR longer and gotten the Ghost module to bring it up to Performance levels and saved up some more to eventually get a Plaid or Taycan.

• Informative
Reactions: DayTrippin
I have a MS LR as well, mine's from 3/22 with the stock 21" wheels and Michelin PS4 tires. I can't imagine I'm having traction problems given that the same wheels and tires do 2.2 seconds to 60 on a Plaid, and I've never heard the tires chirping (as opposed to the BMW i4-M50).

I've never gotten faster than 3.41s 0-60, measured with a Vbox, albeit without Dragstrip mode. Before the Model S, I had a 2019 Model 3 LR with acceleration boost and 18" wheels. My best 0-60 run with it was 3.74 seconds. What's interesting is the progression over time. I'm comparing my own measurements to those of someone with a Model 3 Performance below. All times are measured from a standstill (no rollout BS). The first number is 0-10mph, then 0-20mph, 0-30mph, 0-40mph, 0-50mph, 0-60mph.

2022 MSLR: 0.55, 1.11, 1.66, 2.21, 2.78, 3.41
2019 M3LR+: 0.56, 1.16, 1.76, 2.36, 2.99, 3.74
M3Performance: 0.53, 1.03, 1.54, 2.08, 2.65, 3.35

I'm in the same boat as you, @DayTrippin, in that I was deciding between the M3P and the MSLR and the faster 0-60 time played a big role in my decision to get the LR. The other features you mentioned, as well as the increased comfort an noise level are significant and I don't exactly regret my decision, but I do feel misled by Tesla's false advertising. I might have kept the M3LR longer and gotten the Ghost module to bring it up to Performance levels and saved up some more to eventually get a Plaid or Taycan.
I test drove a friend’s MSLR and my impressions were that it was barely quicker than my M3awd+ up to about 80mph where the MSLR seemed to really get going. Thanks for the data, it proves I have a well calibrated butt meter.

Now that test drive also confirmed that I keep the Plaid I ordered and sell the LR as I ordered both the MSLR and Plaid.

The LR does lack the initial punch, it does launch softly. But at highway speed both M3P and M3LR+ will be dropped like it’s hot. If it’s any consolation.

Reactions: TorqueMonster