Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla charges $1250 retail, but that includes the Bosal hitch. I think you'd have to call the service center to find out how much to enable the software if you're installing your own hitch. If I had to guess: $750. The software is enabled through the service port under the display, so it shouldn't take long.
It's possible they won't enable the software for another hitch as aftermarket hitches are explicitly prohibited in the manual.

That said, people who have the Bosal hitch but not the tow package (early deliveries) are paying $750, as you mention.

Reactions: Rossy
Also, isn't using a WDH with a Model X a bad idea since it would mess with the self leveling system and software?
When calibrating a WDH, you disable self-leveling (Jack Mode). Once it's calibrated, the Model X should be nearly level, so self-leveling shouldn't become an issue as far as I can tell. It's not called out in the manual, but there are some changes to SAS with tow mode enabled, and it's quite possible this is disabled already. Without a WDH, the X will sag at the rear and self-leveling would attempt to adjust it.

So would you say, when ordering an X with the tow package already included, it would still be advantageous to replace it witch a Draw-Tite?
And definitely use a WDH when towing close to the 5,000lbs?
It really depends on what you're towing.

For utility trailers, light boat trailers, or lightweight campers, I think the Bosal is probably fine. You don't want to use weight distribution with that hitch, and you're required to stay within pretty tight parameters on the offsets, which could make it difficult to level the trailer and follow the hitch guidance.

If you're towing close to 5000 pounds, you should have about 500-750 pounds of tongue weight (10-15% of trailer weight). I really don't think the Bosal is a good fit for that. Also, most guidance you'll read online suggests weight distribution or at least anti-sway for that kind of trailer weight. So that kind of precludes using the Bosal anyway.

Personally, I'm much happier with the Draw-Tite, and given the low cost and relative ease of installation, I'm glad I did it. Not everyone is comfortable modifying their vehicle, so YMMV.

It's possible they won't enable the software for another hitch as aftermarket hitches are explicitly prohibited in the manual.

That said, people who have the Bosal hitch but not the tow package (early deliveries) are paying $750, as you mention.
Hi, I just searched in the manual and didn't find the explicit prohibition... Could you elaborate? The Dania Beach service center referred me to a body shop to get the etrailer hitch installed and didn't mention anything about that. That would make me think twice about it... Hmmm...

Hi, I just searched in the manual and didn't find the explicit prohibition... Could you elaborate? The Dania Beach service center referred me to a body shop to get the etrailer hitch installed and didn't mention anything about that. That would make me think twice about it... Hmmm...
"Warning: You must use the Model X trailer hitch when towing a trailer. Never attempt to attach a different type of trailer hitch."

From page 72, manual is here.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy and GSP
"Warning: You must use the Model X trailer hitch when towing a trailer. Never attempt to attach a different type of trailer hitch."

From page 72, manual is here.

Warning: pedantic engineer discussion ahead!

Given that the warning is in the "connecting the trailer hitch reciever" section, does it (the warning) encompass the use of a different hitch system entirely? Or is it limited in scope to things the user might connect to the stock Bosal mount Detachable Systems | Bosal ? Most/ all of which may violate the dimensional requirements for hitch ball location.

This is not to say the drawtite/ other aftermarket is approved of or by Tesla, only that it may not be directly excluded. The manual states any damage caused by towing is not covered under warranty (page 68), so there is no loss of coverage in using a different system.

Hey gang. Great thread. I've been looking to add a hitch to my MX after I did not order the towing package at delivery. I'm not really towing anything but looking to use a luggage rack to haul kids stroller, luggage, etc on a road trip. Nothing crazy. This Draw-Tite option seems to fit the bill since I don't need to worry about break lights and not towing a lot of weight.

I've read all the posts on this thread and I'm not sure if anyone has had my exact experience.

QUESTION: has anyone here installed the after market Draw-Tite hitch when they did not have the towing package at all on initial order? If so did you deal with attaining the break light connection and/or towing software activation from the SC? If so, how'd it go? What if I installed this and simply ignored the break light harness and software upgrade - thoughts?

I think most are simply upgrading the Bosal unit after delivery. I can't justify $1250 to carry a couple extra bags but this unit looks ideal for my purpose. Thanks to anyone who can share who might be in my boat or thoughts in general on this approach.

has anyone here installed the after market Draw-Tite hitch when they did not have the towing package at all on initial order? If so did you deal with attaining the break light connection and/or towing software activation from the SC? If so, how'd it go? What if I installed this and simply ignored the break light harness and software upgrade - thoughts?

This is my setup for a hitch rack that can also carry 4 bikes. My inventory car did not have anything for towing, so I found the Draw-Tite and installed it. It seems all MX come with the wiring harness if you choose to use it for brake lights and or brake controller. I am not planning on using either, but the harness is there if I or a future owner needs it. It could be accessed inside the removable small panel anytime. I did not ask the SC about turning on the tow software, but maybe I will next visit just for grins.

I am nearly positive that tow software does not need to be enabled in order to power brake lights from the wiring harness. Tow mode has software benefits, but the lighting connections are, I believe, hardware.

Easy enough to test with a multimeter and an assistant.

Hey gang - thanks again for the info. Super super helpful. I'm really thinking about trying this. I'm generally handy but not car handy. However the instructions and this thread make me think I can do it!!

One more question though --> in the instructions for people like me (no prior tow package) it says to "remove the bumper beam and return it to the customer". It seems the tow bar and hitch takes the place where the bumper used to be. So I will basically have that bumper beam sitting in my garage now? Really? I'm no car guy but I would have thought that was like important structurally or for collisions or something.... but then again when looking at the OPs photos where there was a tow package it seems like in that case there was no bumper beam at all. So I guess that it's ok. Just seems odd to me.

Hey gang - thanks again for the info. Super super helpful. I'm really thinking about trying this. I'm generally handy but not car handy. However the instructions and this thread make me think I can do it!!

One more question though --> in the instructions for people like me (no prior tow package) it says to "remove the bumper beam and return it to the customer". It seems the tow bar and hitch takes the place where the bumper used to be. So I will basically have that bumper beam sitting in my garage now? Really? I'm no car guy but I would have thought that was like important structurally or for collisions or something.... but then again when looking at the OPs photos where there was a tow package it seems like in that case there was no bumper beam at all. So I guess that it's ok. Just seems odd to me.
Yes, if you have one without a factory hitch, you will remove the crash bar. The hitch itself is the structural member once installed.