Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRIVE IN MOVIE SETTINGS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

We went to a popup drive in movie last night. We sat in our model 3 with the headlights manually turned off and the command display set to minimum brightness. The radio was tuned to the appropriate FM station for movie sound. I was careful not to touch the brake pedal. After a time, with no warning, the car turned off - the driver's set went to easy exit, the headlights turn on, the display went bright and the radio turned off- as if we were exiting the car! Caught by surprise I nearly dropped the box of popcorn I had in my lap as i scrambled to turn the exterior lights off again.

Next issue was getting the radio back on. The only way I knew was to tap the brake to turn the car back on, which also turned on the exterior lights. We made it through the movie without any other surprises.

My questions:

Members: What recommendations to you have to make it uninterrupted through a movie?

Tesla - can you add a DRIVE-IN setting?

We plan to attend again next Friday, hopefully we can have a solution by then.

Hello,

We went to a popup drive in movie last night. We sat in our model 3 with the headlights manually turned off and the command display set to minimum brightness. The radio was tuned to the appropriate FM station for movie sound. I was careful not to touch the brake pedal. After a time, with no warning, the car turned off - the driver's set went to easy exit, the headlights turn on, the display went bright and the radio turned off- as if we were exiting the car! Caught by surprise I nearly dropped the box of popcorn I had in my lap as i scrambled to turn the exterior lights off again.

Next issue was getting the radio back on. The only way I knew was to tap the brake to turn the car back on, which also turned on the exterior lights. We made it through the movie without any other surprises.

My questions:

Members: What recommendations to you have to make it uninterrupted through a movie?

how about camp mode?

There's something like a 30 minute inactivity timeout where it does this. The workaround is to tap the display routinely (at least before the 30 minute mark) just to let it know you're there.

Haven't been back to the drive-in since Camp Mode was introduced to the Model 3, but hoping that'll work around it.

Reactions: Matsayz
There's something like a 30 minute inactivity timeout where it does this. The workaround is to tap the display routinely (at least before the 30 minute mark) just to let it know you're there.

Haven't been back to the drive-in since Camp Mode was introduced to the Model 3, but hoping that'll work around it.

The description of camp mode in the manual sounds like it specifically does what is needed for this, although I havent used camp mode as I dont need to for anything. I also will not be at a drive in (or any other movie theater) anytime soon... but that has nothing to do with Covid. People and their cellphones (opening them up during the movie shining bright lights), and paper russling, talking, etc ruined going to the movies for me a long time ago.

Since thats a "me problem" (being annoyed by others being inconsiderate at movies) and because I am "into home theater", I put a 7.2.4 atmos sound system in my house, so I just watch all movies at home... still on physical discs though because im not enamored with streaming because I can see the difference on my TV.

Enough of my movie snobbery, lol... camp mode says this in the manual so should work?
================================

Camp Mode allows you to power electronics through the USB ports and 12V outlet in addition to maintaining the cabin temperature. The touchscreen remains on so you can play music, browse the internet, play games in the arcade, or watch shows in Tesla Theater. You can also control media and climate settings from a paired phone. Camp Mode is ideal for remaining inside your vehicle, such as camping or staying with a child.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
The description of camp mode in the manual sounds like it specifically does what is needed for this, although I havent used camp mode as I dont need to for anything. I also will not be at a drive in (or any other movie theater) anytime soon... but that has nothing to do with Covid. People and their cellphones (opening them up during the movie shining bright lights), and paper russling, talking, etc ruined going to the movies for me a long time ago.

Since thats a "me problem" (being annoyed by others being inconsiderate at movies) and because I am "into home theater", I put a 7.2.4 atmos sound system in my house, so I just watch all movies at home... still on physical discs though because im not enamored with streaming because I can see the difference on my TV.

Enough of my movie snobbery, lol... camp mode says this in the manual so should work?

Camp Mode allows you to power electronics through the USB ports and 12V outlet in addition to maintaining the cabin temperature. The touchscreen remains on so you can play music, browse the internet, play games in the arcade, or watch shows in Tesla Theater. You can also control media and climate settings from a paired phone. Camp Mode is ideal for remaining inside your vehicle, such as camping or staying with a child.

FWIW, you might actually enjoy the drive-in experience. FM radio isn't exactly high fidelity, but the people-related annoyances are much, much less than in a typical theatre. Kick back, enjoy climate control to your liking, bring whatever snacks you like, etc. And in my area, the drive-in is priced pretty reasonably too.

The big big thing with Camp Mode and drive-ins is it needs to keep all lights off despite any shuffling about in the car, opening doors, etc. A lot of newer vehicles will annoyingly turn the head/marker lights on if you open a door, sometimes you can work around this by engaging the parking brake. It sounds like it could be designed to have lights off, but I'm not holding my breath for it either.

Which reminds me, some Model 3 owners just bring a few towels to place over their lights just in case. Would highly recommend that.

Hello,

My questions:

Wait, we still have drive-in movie theaters in the OC?

Went to a drive-in movie tonight, the West Wind drive-in, Santa Barbara, and had the same issue as JCarlosJr49. So nice to know now about "camp" mode, I'll try it next time. I must admit, the audio through the FM was brilliant and the subwoofer in my M3 knocked our socks off. Very happy with that experience.