Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive In, Not back into SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SuperChargers on the Florida Turnpike at the Fort Drum Service Plaza are head in parking due to them being installed on a one way street. Here is a picture showing some i found somewhere else, also on a one-way street.

20150908_182911.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Besides the other possible reasons stated, it is generally safer to back INTO a parking spot than backing OUT.
I noticed you got 2 disagrees.

To elaborate and maybe this will get some likes... the reason for the above is that exiting a spot is faster and safer when facing outwards. It is much easier to see cars and people coming and/or in the way.

To elaborate and maybe this will get some likes... the reason for the above is that exiting a spot is faster and safer when facing outwards. It is much easier to see cars and people coming and/or in the way.
And to elaborate why we are still disagreeing...
Your comments about it being easier to see cars and people coming would have been accurate through the 80's and 90's before backup cameras were a thing. You would have been absolutely correct. BUT all cars are required to have backup cameras now, and it's not just equal. Rear visibility with a backup camera is actually far better than seeing directly forward because of the position and angle of the eyeball/camera.

Have you been in a parking garage, where there are big trucks or SUVs parked next to you, and you are backed in and want to pull out forward? You have to get a direct line of sight from where you eye is, sitting in the driver's seat. That is a pretty noticeable 6 or more feet back from the front bumper of your car. When you put the car in drive and try to look to see if there is anyone coming, you can't see anything but the side of the truck because of the bad angle from the cabin to see past the end of the vehicle. You have to blindly creep forward, sticking the nose of your car out into the aisle several feet because you get any chance to see whether it is clear or not. That is not safer.

With backup cameras, the camera is not inside the cabin in the middle of the car where you have that bad angle; it is at the end of your car, at the back bumper, which is right there on the aisle. And with backup cameras having that fish-eye lens setup, the camera shows you the 180 degree view both directions down the aisle when you put it in reverse, letting you see if it is clear before you ever begin to move the car. That is safer.

I know this is kind of weird, where traditional, long held "truths" that people knew get changed by new technology coming along that undoes them.

I use the backup camera all the time when backing out of spots and it is definitely much safer now than in my previous car without a camera. Now, I do have to be very careful when backing into SCs because most Americans don’t expect this behavior. Just yesterday at a SC, an ICE car tried to sneak between me and the SC pedestal as I switched from my turn going forward, to my reverse. I always double check backup camera and over my shoulder, but some people still don’t realize what is happening.