Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive the car while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that Tesla won't let you put the car in Drive if your car is plugged in at a charger. So if someone walks up to the car and try to break in while you are sitting inside, can you manually unlock the charger through the green circle near the charging port without getting outside of the car and drive away? This may cause some damages to the car and the charger but I want to know if that's possible in case something like that comes up.

Ok, don’t laugh, but I wonder if this could be possible. Could a Tesla semi carry a few huge power packs and drop a snake charger to a Tesla pulling in behind it on certain stretches of highway(thinking for semi here)? Charge while driving? Grew up in an Air Force pilot family, and always thought it was cool when the jets would refuel by kc 135 tanker planes... could autonomous semi “refueling” trucks be possible, or did I drink too much kool aid???

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
Ok, don’t laugh, but I wonder if this could be possible. Could a Tesla semi carry a few huge power packs and drop a snake charger to a Tesla pulling in behind it on certain stretches of highway(thinking for semi here)? Charge while driving? Grew up in an Air Force pilot family, and always thought it was cool when the jets would refuel by kc 135 tanker planes... could autonomous semi “refueling” trucks be possible, or did I drink too much kool aid???

Okay, I laughed a little. But this is absolutely unnecessary. If you seriously want to charge on the road with something like a truck, you could just do it by having the truck hook onto the car and pull it along. Your car could then just charge its own batteries using regen.

Even this is a stupid idea.

Recharge while driving? Sure.
upload_2018-9-16_19-26-23.png

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire