Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Failed - Dashcam video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could never reconcile this in my mind. I thought contactors were like a switch: either they worked or they didn't. Obviously something else at play here.

if they ever arc when closing/opening it can cause pitting which will decrease connectivity overall, not saying this is what happened, the precharging would have to be faulty for it to occur, so it would seem likely to be a controller issue

It's interesting that you say that, because I had a similar experience: Last summer, I noticed that Supercharging was quite slow and I could no longer get full 60 kW of re-gen. Even going 70 MPH and taking my foot quickly right off the accelerator would only yield about 35 kW of re-gen power. (My range numbers had also dropped a fair bit). Service said everything was okay. Last winter, my main contactors failed. After they repaired and returned the car, I noted that I was getting full 60 kW of re-gen again and that Supercharging was much faster as well.

I could never reconcile this in my mind. I thought contactors were like a switch: either they worked or they didn't. Obviously something else at play here.

My Supercharging was slow, and my 100% charge (85kWh pack) approached 200 rated miles, and right before failure, a full charge was just-under 200 rated miles. I never noticed any significant drop in regen limits, but maybe it wasn't as severe as yours.

My Supercharging was slow, and my 100% charge (85kWh pack) approached 200 rated miles, and right before failure, a full charge was just-under 200 rated miles. I never noticed any significant drop in regen limits, but maybe it wasn't as severe as yours.

When you say it failed, do you mean the contactors or the battery itself. I had the contactor failure which made a huge bang and felt like I was rear-ended. Currently, I see about 240 Rated Miles at 100%, down from 265 when the car was new.

When you say it failed, do you mean the contactors or the battery itself. I had the contactor failure which made a huge bang and felt like I was rear-ended. Currently, I see about 240 Rated Miles at 100%, down from 265 when the car was new.

I never had contactor failure. It simply stopped accepting a charge at a Supercharger. Didn't get a chance to test an AC-charge.