Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRIVE UNIT FAILURE REAR Model 3 LR AWD 16k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 model 3 long range awd 16K needs a rear drive unit replacement ?? had to be towed into Costa Mesa. Tesla had the car 14 days. Elon stated on twitter the car can drive when rear drive unit is dead ! IT WOULD NOT!
I think it will only continue working if there's a front drive unit failure. Maybe there's some theoretical failure mode for the rear permanent magnet motor that would still allow it to freewheel but I'm not sure it's ever happened. They really need to add some fine print to the website.

FYI ! when your Tesla wont move and its in a multi floor Parking structure its a BIG deal if your AWD car cant be driven outside to be put on a required flatbed for towing. Car had to be placed on four caster carts moved then towed or pulled out by a NON flatbed tow truck Then placed on the flatbed. This took 3 hours to accomplish. Elon clearly stated the car would drive for these types of reasons so ya I'm pissed !

A serious question: are you more upset that you rear drive failed or that you could not drive you car per Elon's tweet?
FYI ! when your Tesla wont move and its in a multi floor Parking structure its a BIG deal if your AWD car cant be driven outside to be put on a required flatbed for towing. Car had to be placed on four caster carts moved then towed or pulled out by a NON flatbed tow truck Then placed on the flatbed. This took 3 hours to accomplish. Elon clearly stated the car would drive for these types of reasons so ya I'm pissed !

Reactions: boriszima and SigNC
Yeah That part doesn't make sense .It should be able to limp to safety (like the turtle mode in Rav4EV) How did it work for AWD S ?
When your Tesla wont move and its in a multi floor Parking structure its a BIG deal if your AWD car cant be driven outside to be put on a required flatbed for towing. Car had to be placed on four caster carts moved then towed or pulled out by a NON flatbed tow truck Then placed on the flatbed. This took 3 hours to accomplish. Elon clearly stated the car would drive for these types of reasons so ya I'm pissed !

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
So I use to drive a wrecker back when wheel lifts were just coming on the scene. I used to have to grab cars that were dead in parking garages with 6’6” high clearance, no way to get any truck in there. It was pretty easy, put the car in neutral, push out of the spot and let gravity take over. I am assuming Tesla would allow the car to be put in neutral and powered on so it could be moved. Did they try that? Otherwise that would be a huge nightmare.

Reactions: Silver Cloud
So I use to drive a wrecker back when wheel lifts were just coming on the scene. I used to have to grab cars that were dead in parking garages with 6’6” high clearance, no way to get any truck in there. It was pretty easy, put the car in neutral, push out of the spot and let gravity take over. I am assuming Tesla would allow the car to be put in neutral and powered on so it could be moved. Did they try that? Otherwise that would be a huge nightmare.
Hi VRUNNER not sure my wife was the one who was driving that day its her car but I can tell you it took 7 hours from the first call to Tesla roadside and the drop off 26 miles away in Costa Mesa.

That does suck. I guess the more high tech cars get, the harder it is to do simple items such as tow or even car wash with blades etc. Did Tesla say how many weeks until you get your car? Hopefully you are thinking of positive items such as this happened during warranty, you got a loaner, and your nor your family were in danger when this unfortunate event happened.