Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Fluid Service - a la carte

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to buy fluid change ala carte yesterday but it is no longer available. I then ended up booking the full 2nd year for $725 just to get fluid change (already had two DUs fail, so trying to do what I can) but today the service advisor said that drive unit fluid change may or may not be included anymore, and that annual service is more of an umbrella term not necessarily including specific fluid changes.

Drive unit fluid change is explicitly *not* included in year 2, see here:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/annual_service_inspection_checklist_en_us.pdf

"Umbrella term" is BS, if I'm paying as much as these services cost, I want to know exactly what is being done to / checked on my vehicle. Anything less is borderline fraud: "pay us $725 and we might do something, might not."

I paid $150 for a front/rear DU flush a-la-carte, but this was also when they were replacing the front axles as well, so that could have lowered the price since the car was already on a lift and torn apart underneath. I probably won't get it flushed again since it doesn't impact the 8 year warranty. I won't keep the car that long, but the thought of break-in metals did make me want to do it at the ~12K mile mark.

I took my S in for it's 1st year annual service last Friday and the biggest reason was to make sure the DU fluid was changed. I even asked the guy when picking up if the DU fluid was flushed, and got a yes. Now I'm looking at the invoice and it's not listed. This makes me a bit upset.

Without the DU fluid change, the $550 price seems a bit steep. everything else is basically a multi point inspection with some diagnostic tests.

I wonder what Tesla is doing for people who pre-paid? You would think they would be obligated to perform the services they listed when someone paid for the annual service.

Just want to report back after the service. I had the DU fluid flush service done today. They originally quoted me $187 + tax for the service. they charged me $135 for it today which is very reasonable. I would highly recommend people do it if you would like to skip the first annual service.

Attachments

• FD53B043-89D0-48E0-A58F-71A8595E02BA.png
    FD53B043-89D0-48E0-A58F-71A8595E02BA.png
    265 KB · Views: 97