Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not experience anything like what was shown in those Edmunds videos. Both of my drive unit replacements were due to the "droning" noise above 70 MPH, which seemed to peak at around 20 kW of power. Unfortunately, constant 20 kW input is almost exactly what is required to maintain freeway speed. The fix has something to do with the updated motor mounts.

My original drive unit was quiet, but it developed an oil leak at 8000mi and was replaced - my new unit has this exact noise, but the service center has declined to replace it.

My original drive unit was quiet, but it developed an oil leak at 8000mi and was replaced - my new unit has this exact noise, but the service center has declined to replace it.
As AmpedRealtor said, there appears to be the assumption that the motor mounts have something to do with it. And most likely you got the new mounts when your motor was replaced the first time.
For me they also replaced both the motor and the mount because of the sound at highway speed.

Perhaps technically accurate, but as has already been pointed out, the data isn't meaningful without knowing if it was because of a problem, if it was cautionary, how many miles on the car, and so on. What good are accurate results if the data isn't meaningful?

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention, we have no selection for '0', so at this point an unethical journalist could write "100% of poll respondents had the drive unit replaced at least once". That's an accurate statement. But it's the wrong conclusion.

Alternatively: 34 Responded with at least one unit replaced (incl huntjo) out of >15,000 members. That's a ratio of 1 in 500 or 0.2%.
Not all 15K members even have a Model S, such as myself and numerous other folks here.

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum currently shows Active Members: 3,754, so would be 0.9%. I also am quite certain than not all of the 3754 have a Model S.

Why does it matter if there's any "harm" or not? If the drive unit is producing excessive and/or abnormal noise(s) vs. when it was new (or new ones coming off the line) and Tesla agrees to replace it, then that's that.

Before Edmunds got their 1st drive unit replacement, they heard the noises at Ominous Noise - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test. Was the noise "of any harm" in your book? It was replaced: Ominous Noise Fixed - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test.

And, as many of us know, it got replaced again (Is the Third Drive Unit the Charm? - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test) along w/the HV battery pack and 12 volt battery after the car died on them: Stuck on the Freeway - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

I agree we're going to need a new poll (if there isn't one already) w/a choice for 0. And, if possible, it needs to be closed after a certain amount of time and a new one re-opened. After all, someone can answer 0 now and need 1 or more replacements in the future.
. The point is that the purpose of the poll is to see if there is a common problem... If there was no harm in maintaining the old noisy motor, then those who had it replaced for that reason really didn't have a malfunctioning motor. Again, possibly the noise indicates another issue, but the official stance from tesla seems to be that it is normal, but some service centers are replacing them out of courtesy.

I think a spread sheet should be made with vin, replaced checkbox, mileage, reason (drop down of common reasons), comments.

If you have had it replaced multiple times just add a new entry. They can then be sorted by vin to see who has had multiple replacements.

Not all 15K members even have a Model S, such as myself and numerous other folks here.

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum currently shows Active Members: 3,754, so would be 0.9%. I also am quite certain than not all of the 3754 have a Model S.

Thus supporting my assertion that there is no way we can make the data meaningful. We don't know what the data set is for people who have not had it replaced. We don't know if the drive unit was only replaced on very early vehicles or if it's a problem with any vehicle over a certain number of miles or if it is totally random.

. The point is that the purpose of the poll is to see if there is a common problem... If there was no harm in maintaining the old noisy motor, then those who had it replaced for that reason really didn't have a malfunctioning motor. Again, possibly the noise indicates another issue, but the official stance from tesla seems to be that it is normal, but some service centers are replacing them out of courtesy.
Normal? They're getting replaced. Presumably new ones don't do that, those vehicles didn't do that when new and replacing the drive units made the noises go away.

Would you call the noises in the 2 Edmunds YouTube videos "normal"? Would you want yours fixed (thru whatever means) if you paid $110K for your car? ($110K listed at 2013 Tesla Model S Long Term Road Test - Introduction.)

TonyWilliams' Rav4 EV (aka "poor man's Tesla" which uses their powertrain, battery pack, etc.) got noisy and he got his drive unit replaced. You can hear it at Toyota Rav4EV Tesla Motor Noise - YouTube. He also made a not surprising post at Toyota Rav4 EV Forum , can you hear it in yours? about another that was louder than his.

Another Rav4 EV guy posted his before video at Toyota Rav4 EV Forum , can you hear it in yours? and after at Toyota Rav4 EV Forum , can you hear it in yours?.

TonyWilliams' Rav4 EV (aka "poor man's Tesla" which uses their powertrain, battery pack, etc.) got noisy and he got his drive unit replaced. You can hear it at Toyota Rav4EV Tesla Motor Noise - YouTube. He also made a not surprising post at Toyota Rav4 EV Forum , can you hear it in yours? about another that was louder than his.

Another Rav4 EV guy posted his before video at Toyota Rav4 EV Forum , can you hear it in yours? and after at Toyota Rav4 EV Forum , can you hear it in yours?.

Lets not make a mountain out of of someone else's problem. Quoting a couple of folks issues from Toyota is just going to confuse the issue (if it even is one) unless you're trying to suggest that the units are identical and we should do a combined poll with the Rav4EV forum?

I think that we are missing the main issue here. The drive unit and inverter are replaced as a unit for ANY issue with them. Tesla is trying to find out how to make them durable and prevent complaints/problems. In an ICE if a spark plug wire goes bad the spark plug wire is replaced. With a Tesla the motor and inverter are replaced when a diode goes bad. It takes less shop time than the diagnosis and spark plug rewiring. The cost may be small with the unit being sent back to Fremont for diagnosis and repair with future prevention as a goal and then the unit is placed in someone else's car.

Note that you don't have a Tesla but very few folks spend much time here if they don't. Also, care to tell how we come up with the "Active" members number? The point is that this poll isn't scientific, as much as you might like it to be.

Lets not make a mountain out of of someone else's problem. Quoting a couple of folks issues from Toyota is just going to confuse the issue (if it even is one) unless you're trying to suggest that the units are identical and we should do a combined poll with the Rav4EV forum?
I don't know that they're identical but Tesla supplies them to Toyota for their Rav4 EV CA compliance car. Not surprisingly, the symptoms are the same. And, the problems seem to crop up after not so many miles.

(There are MANY references to the above supply agreement. An example is to search for validated in http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312513096241/d452995d10k.htm.)

As for combined poll, let's not.

Note that you don't have a Tesla but very few folks spend much time here if they don't. Also, care to tell how we come up with the "Active" members number? The point is that this poll isn't scientific, as much as you might like it to be.
As for the "Active" members number, I have no idea. Maybe you can tell me.

I've spotted numerous folks here on "TMC" who I've seen on other forums who I know do NOT have any Tesla-branded vehicle. Some of them are moderators on other forums (e.g. mynissanleaf.com).

Of the active folks, there also numerous folks who are considering Teslas and others who have placed their order but are waiting.

There are MANY references to the above supply agreement. An example is to search for validated in http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312513096241/d452995d10k.htm.

The quote from your link says:

We also have developed a full electric powertrain system for Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) for use in its RAV4 EV...

The fact that it was 'developed' for Toyota suggests to me that it's different but I'm not going to argue with you.

Not sure how you deduced that, but I bow to your superior knowledge.
If you're active enough on myrav4ev.com, you'd see it. There are numerous running threads there about drivetrain noise such as Toyota Rav4 EV Forum , can you hear it in yours? and Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - Traction Motor Replacement. TonyWilliams is a notable person who had his replaced.

Watch at least 2 Rav4 EV noise videos I posted.

BTW, he has no Tesla-branded car either. But he does have 2 RAV4 EVs now. Prior to that, he had 2 Leafs. Oh, and he's a mod over at myrav4ev.com.

Last edited: