Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my car was in for wheel swap and a few minor bits, the tech identified "excessive noise at cruising speed" and changed out the drive unit. I had noticed this but didn't have a reference for "excessive". Much better now, and I appreciate the proactive service.
I'm curious... Did they call to confirm before changing the drive unit or did they do so without consulting you?

I have that issue. Right Now.

Car Has 5,300 miles.

Got my car 2 weeks ago (TESLA demo with 4,700 miles already on it)

Went to SC today due to 'too much wind noise and buffeting sound at 45-50mph'

SC tech spotted the drive train issue. Not me. Also noted a speaker rattle. Along with confirming higher wind noise.

VERY pro-active SC tech.

Dropping my my car off on Monday for all the fixes - will be there all day - but they will have a MS for me to use.

Very impressed with my local SC team.

Well..... 13 days since my post above.

Car was fixed. Drives great. Drive unit replaced less that 2 weeks ago.

But....then today....pulling out from work, I had the drive system stop. I was accelerating and them 'pop'... No power to accelerate anymore.

Got the message to "pull over and shut the car off"

Luckily I was not on a busy street or highway.

I pulled over. Shut the car down.

Pressed the brake, got power to drive again.

Called my local service center. They could remotely see the error message. Fault with the drive unit.

They told me to bring it straight there. Which I did. They have it now.

Luckily, they are only 6 min from my home. So, it's very convenient.

They offered to drive me home, drive me to work tomorrow, get a rental, etc.

But I declined. We have a spare ICE car.

My SC folks are great.

But I am bummed about the issue.

However, the car still handled great during the loss of acceleration. I had power to steer, brake, etc. So that was nice.

I will post more tomorrow once they check it all out.

Last edited:
Has anybody had a drive unit fail after 20k miles on it(not including noise replacements)? From what I have seen, the failures can be attributed to infant mortality, which is normal for electronic items.

Has anybody had a drive unit fail after 20k miles on it(not including noise replacements)? From what I have seen, the failures can be attributed to infant mortality, which is normal for electronic items.
I'll have to dig up my posts to confirm, but I believe my drive unit started the milling sound soon after 20k and the failure like keysh2oboy just described happened around 22-23k. I recall the timeline because I was near my (2nd) annual and we were going to wait for the annual to address the milling but the failure accelerated the timeline for drive unit replacement.

I had my annual on Tuesday (4/22) and it had 25.4k miles at that time.

All of you guys having your drive units replaced are going to hate yourself in about 30 years when your resell value plummets due to it not being a numbers matching drivetrain. :tongue:

By the way this is classic car humor. If you don't collect cars you likely won't get the joke

All of you guys having your drive units replaced are going to hate yourself in about 30 years when your resell value plummets due to it not being a numbers matching drivetrain. :tongue:

By the way this is classic car humor. If you don't collect cars you likely won't get the joke
That was on my mind when I was "only" getting it replaced for the milling. Once it had a more serious fault, "choice" was removed from the equation.

That was on my mind when I was "only" getting it replaced for the milling. Once it had a more serious fault, "choice" was removed from the equation.
Unlike block stampings on ICE cars, Tesla uses stickers on the battery/drive unit/charger. The drive unit has something engraved on it, but I haven't looked at what it is.

Drive unit was replaced.

All is well again.

Some drive unit failures, such as the one you describe, could be due to a failure in the inverter that is part of the same assembly. Even if it's just the inverter that has a problem, the entire drive unit gets changed out. I'm just saying this because this may not be indicative of a problem with the motor itself, but another related component.

Mine is in a SC bay right now waiting to be switched out right now. It makes a clunk a low speeds when going from acceleration to regen. 1st time at 13k miles.

This is funny because in another thread (either here or at TM), a bunch of people were talking about the "clunk" going from accel to regen. Almost everyone there said they have it and that it's normal. I believe I was in the minority when I said I didn't have it on either of my drive units.

There is a difference between the soft clunk that we normally have and the metallic clank that warranted a replacement of our drive unit. If you have it you will know it. It sounded like a bad universal joint from an ice. It is not a soft sound but a hard sound of two metal parts banging together.

We drove our car for almost 1000 miles after it started until the replaced it and it was progressively getting worse. I first noticed it in parking lots at very low speeds. By time it went in for service it was noticeable in the 20-30 mph range.

The normal sound of our replacement drive unit is not anything like what we had experienced.

This is funny because in another thread (either here or at TM), a bunch of people were talking about the "clunk" going from accel to regen. Almost everyone there said they have it and that it's normal. I believe I was in the minority when I said I didn't have it on either of my drive units.

Just got got a call from SC with confirmation that there is a fault internally in the he drive unit. The clunk was loud and couldn't be missed at low speeds. I specifically asked the shop foreman in seattle when we were leaving if any sort of "clunk" is normal between accel and regen and he said NO it definitely is not normal. The good news is that they should have the unit replaced today and be able to test it this afternoon and tomorrow and if all is well I can get my girl back by lunchtime tomorrow. I seriously don't know of any ICE company that could swap out a motor in one day!!!