Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Assistance Feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
There are two driver assistance features, lane departure warming and side collision warning. Neither of them seem to work on my car even though I have them activated in the settings menu.

Lane departure is suppose to work when you are not in autopilot mode and you are going over 45 mph and you don't have your turn signal on. When you move across the marked pavement the stearing wheel us suppose to vibrate (not to be confuse with going across rumble strips). I have tried this on multiple occasions with no luck.

Side collision warning is suppose to be an audible and visual warming if there is a car detected in your blindspot or close to the side of your car. This feature also doesn't work. I have accidentally almost hit a car in my blind spot with no warning. While there is a visual indication if there is a car close to the left side of my car there is never an indication if there is a car close to the right side and never an audible in any case.

I thought it may be because my car was built early in January but according to my service center it works comparitable to the new cars coming from Fremont.

If this is how these two features are suppose to work this function is useless.

Have others tried these functions.

Reactions: KaiserSoze
I can tell you that Lane departure Warning definitely works. The steering wheel vibrates when you go over the lane marking without turning signal. Its starting to correct my habit of changing lanes on highway without turning signal:)
Never seen the side collision warning occurring. For the Forward Collision warning, after setting it to Early, I have seen it twice. No audible warning, just visual warning on the dash.

My lane departure warning works as well. Audible and tactile rumble, just like you were driving over rumble strips on the shoulder. I haven't had the occasion to test the side detection collision, but forward collision has gone off a few times for me. Mostly because the car thought there was a threat, but I was aware of the situation, so I'd say it was conservative. There's an audible warning chime, the car indicator in the IPC turns red, and the radio mutes. Pretty neat feature.

Reactions: RIZE
There are two driver assistance features, lane departure warming and side collision warning. Neither of them seem to work on my car even though I have them activated in the settings menu.

Lane departure is suppose to work when you are not in autopilot mode and you are going over 45 mph and you don't have your turn signal on. When you move across the marked pavement the stearing wheel us suppose to vibrate (not to be confuse with going across rumble strips). I have tried this on multiple occasions with no luck.

Side collision warning is suppose to be an audible and visual warming if there is a car detected in your blindspot or close to the side of your car. This feature also doesn't work. I have accidentally almost hit a car in my blind spot with no warning. While there is a visual indication if there is a car close to the left side of my car there is never an indication if there is a car close to the right side and never an audible in any case.

I thought it may be because my car was built early in January but according to my service center it works comparitable to the new cars coming from Fremont.

If this is how these two features are suppose to work this function is useless.

Have others tried these functions.

I agree ... For all practical purposes, there is NO blind spot warning on model X. The big rear screen helps a lot though. I have never seen the side collision warning activated besides on some youtube video. Lane departure ... I felt a little rumble in the past when I have it activated. It kinda felt like the wheel not balanced well. I turned that feature off couple days after delivery.

Reactions: Leodoc