TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

driver crashes Model S into restaurant

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TheAustin, Mar 29, 2013.

1. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

I just saw this posted on Instagram...If you're faint of heart, look away...

I would LOVE to hear the explanation on this...

photo (7).PNG

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Something does not look right, I would expect to see some of the car through the window. Photoshop??

3. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Nah. Look at the hood and the gaps. Face Palm.

Sent via Tapatalk.

4. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Sigh, she claims she pushed the brake and it accelerated. The mantra of those who crash into solid, non moving objects the world over.

6. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Elon has the data. ;)

I do notice that my foot hits the gas and brake more often in the S than other cars. I've had to move my seat back a bit more to keep that from happening. But I never get acceleration from it, just a warning from the Tesla. Sounds like she hit the wrong pedal.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to get reemed for this, but a 71 year old lady driving a brand new Tesla Model S? Really? Probably doesn't' even know that it doesn't run on gas, blind as a bat, clearly can't even tell the difference between the "gas pedal" and the brake, and probably had no idea how to put the car in "park". Maybe it might have helped if she turned creep mode off...that is if she could even figure out how to use the console, let alone read and understand all of it.

8. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Not going to ream you, it all depends on the 71 year old. My parents are 73 & 76. Own luxury cars and drive them fine (Lexus & Mercedes). Why not buy an electric car before their time is up? The car isn't hard to drive. This happens with ICE cars often, sometimes ending with disaster. At least this had no injuries/fatalities. This could have easily have happened to a 17 year old or a 35 year old.

9. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Yeah, haven't you heard? 71 is the new 51 (says the guy who just turned six-oh). :biggrin:

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Is someone going to spin this into an unintended acceleration story a la Lexus/Toyota a couple of years ago?!

@yobigd20, good luck!

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Careful..... You might be 71 one day.... if youre lucky!

12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I know you are kidding, but I sure hope not.

13. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

Pedal misapplication/confusion is a very real issue (happened to one of my older relatives). With a car as powerful as the Model S, there's really no hope of recovery once you've stomped on the gas thinking it's the break.

Personally, I think that part of the problem is the design of the interface itself, but that's a bit off-topic...

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#14 vfx, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Lure is a new restaurant next to the The Counter in Agoura Hills. Only been open for week or so.

google maps costco agoura hills - Google Maps

It's one of those buildings that gets a new eatery every 6 months to one year. I wonder if the Camarillo one has it's own problems?

15. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

He problem doesnt have it yet, but they can certainly extract it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well maybe the Tesla NAV system said it was still just a parking lot, and there wasn't a restaurant there yet. ;)

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll admit that shouldn't really be a blanket statement then. I really hope 71 is the new 51. I'm talking from personal POV, where both my grandparents were blind as a bat at 70, and the fenders on their cars were soooo scraped and dinged up from hitting things...god knows how many cars they actually scraped every time they parked...and I'm 100% sure they never knew they even hit other cars when parking either.

17. steve841

steve841 Active Member

There's goes creep for the rest of us.....

Maybe that's news in that part of the world, here in retirement central, it's at least a monthly occurrence .... Without exaggeration ...

18. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I'm not sure I buy this photo. The impact force on the nose cone and front end - to break through some wall structure, studs, possible foundation straps, etc. should cause more deformation of the car... don't you think?
    I always check reflections too, light angles, etc, to check for consistency, which otherwise looks legit.

Edit: Yeah, the more I look at this, the less I believe it. Bushes outside where the cabin of the car should be, reflections on the hood and left side front, don't appear to match the inside surroundings.

Instagram effects conveniently mask other nuances.

Just sayin.

19. steve841

steve841 Active Member

It's legit.... See the article

20. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

Well I might be a little more careful with my statements as you are presumably harboring the same DNA, see you soon in a situation you describe.