Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver crashes Model S into restaurant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheAustin

Model X 90D (Former Model S P85)
Sep 12, 2011
The Hamptons
I just saw this posted on Instagram...If you're faint of heart, look away...

I would LOVE to hear the explanation on this...

photo (7).PNG

Elon has the data. ;)

I do notice that my foot hits the gas and brake more often in the S than other cars. I've had to move my seat back a bit more to keep that from happening. But I never get acceleration from it, just a warning from the Tesla. Sounds like she hit the wrong pedal.

Sigh, she claims she pushed the brake and it accelerated. The mantra of those who crash into solid, non moving objects the world over.

I'm probably going to get reemed for this, but a 71 year old lady driving a brand new Tesla Model S? Really? Probably doesn't' even know that it doesn't run on gas, blind as a bat, clearly can't even tell the difference between the "gas pedal" and the brake, and probably had no idea how to put the car in "park". Maybe it might have helped if she turned creep mode off...that is if she could even figure out how to use the console, let alone read and understand all of it.

Not going to ream you, it all depends on the 71 year old. My parents are 73 & 76. Own luxury cars and drive them fine (Lexus & Mercedes). Why not buy an electric car before their time is up? The car isn't hard to drive. This happens with ICE cars often, sometimes ending with disaster. At least this had no injuries/fatalities. This could have easily have happened to a 17 year old or a 35 year old.

I'm probably going to get reemed for this, but a 71 year old lady driving a brand new Tesla Model S? Really? Probably doesn't' even know that it doesn't run on gas, blind as a bat, clearly can't even tell the difference between the "gas pedal" and the brake, and probably had no idea how to put the car in "park". Maybe it might have helped if she turned creep mode off...that is if she could even figure out how to use the console, let alone read and understand all of it.

Careful..... You might be 71 one day.... if youre lucky!

Pedal misapplication/confusion is a very real issue (happened to one of my older relatives). With a car as powerful as the Model S, there's really no hope of recovery once you've stomped on the gas thinking it's the break.

Personally, I think that part of the problem is the design of the interface itself, but that's a bit off-topic...

Not going to ream you, it all depends on the 71 year old.

Ok, I'll admit that shouldn't really be a blanket statement then. I really hope 71 is the new 51. I'm talking from personal POV, where both my grandparents were blind as a bat at 70, and the fenders on their cars were soooo scraped and dinged up from hitting things...god knows how many cars they actually scraped every time they parked...and I'm 100% sure they never knew they even hit other cars when parking either.

I'm not sure I buy this photo. The impact force on the nose cone and front end - to break through some wall structure, studs, possible foundation straps, etc. should cause more deformation of the car... don't you think?
I always check reflections too, light angles, etc, to check for consistency, which otherwise looks legit.

Edit: Yeah, the more I look at this, the less I believe it. Bushes outside where the cabin of the car should be, reflections on the hood and left side front, don't appear to match the inside surroundings.

Instagram effects conveniently mask other nuances.

Just sayin.

Ok, I'll admit that shouldn't really be a blanket statement then. I really hope 71 is the new 51. I'm talking from personal POV, where both my grandparents were blind as a bat at 70, and the fenders on their cars were soooo scraped and dinged up from hitting things...god knows how many cars they actually scraped every time they parked...and I'm 100% sure they never knew they even hit other cars when parking either.
Well I might be a little more careful with my statements as you are presumably harboring the same DNA, see you soon in a situation you describe.