Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door not operating properly (see video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I do not have the premium upgrade package.
I already tried the door reset procedures in the sticky post above.

I'm looking for help. My driver side front door isn't opening and closing properly. The power function seems to be not working. The latching mechanism is fine, it will latch and unlatch properly. But the door won't swing open when I press the handle outside, or use the handle from inside, or press the button on the screen. The door also won't close when I press the brake pedal, or with the button on the screen. The passenger side works fine. A ranger recently replaced the latch but it didn't fix the problem.

Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts? I have a service appointment next week. Thanks!

so this happen to me also but it started with my falcon wing doors. first it was the driver side fwd that said it was open and closed. then it happen to the passenger falcon wing door. then the driver side door started only opening as much as urs but it still would close and open. i took it to the sc and they said it was my sensors that went bad. guess what??? my driver side fwd is back to same thing. ill start a different post about it though to see if anyone else is having the same problem

Attachments

• 2016-11-10 17.34.40.jpg
    2016-11-10 17.34.40.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 94
Looks like the car is reporting an obstacle on that side. Does the door work properly when "out in the open" with no obstacles detected?

Thanks for the reply. This is the same place I open my door everyday. It even happens out in the open. Been broken for 2 weeks now, doesn't matter where I pen the door. Service appointment on Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Reactions: mal_tsla
Jeff, do you have auto open enabled on the touchscreen?
I don't have the Premium upgrade package. Unless I'm mistaken, that setting is only for auto-present which is only part of the PUP.

On vehicles without the PUP, like mine, the door is still powered to open and close with all of the same functionality as vehicles with PUP (except auto-present, aka it opens for you as you approach).

I'm having the same issue on a non-PUP car. What ended up being the remedy?

My issues are

- door won't operate from outside.
Door won't close on brake pedal or handle pull
Door sucks in when closed but not hard enough
Wind noise around window is bad
Car says door Not closed and chimes
Car will not turn off and can't be locked

Car is in garage so no big deal. Any advice on turning the car off?

Thanks.

My doors are failing to open as well because they're detecting non-existent objects (even out in the complete open). I think my sensors are bad or uncalibrated. Unfortunately service won't call me back. I've been calling nearly every day for a week now trying to get help and schedule an appointment. Getting frustrated by lack of communication...

Woke up this am and doors work fine. No problems all day. A bit strange but happy things are back to working.

BTW Deque- I have never had a bad experience with the SC. The guys in Chicago are very diligent and care. They do a great job. Haven't called them much but when I did never had an issue connecting with someone and getting assistance.

Reactions: DiamondHands
I'm sure they're really busy right now for end of year rush. The TSLA investor part of me is willing to be a little patient (I didn't bug them for 2-3 days). Going to bug them today again though...

After how much I've been preaching pro-Tesla for the last 3 years, it's going to be a rough Christmas showing off my car w/ messed up doors :O

I'm having the same issue on a non-PUP car. What ended up being the remedy?

My issues are

- door won't operate from outside.
Door won't close on brake pedal or handle pull
Door sucks in when closed but not hard enough
Wind noise around window is bad
Car says door Not closed and chimes
Car will not turn off and can't be locked

Car is in garage so no big deal. Any advice on turning the car off?

Thanks.

The fix ended up being a new front door motor unit replacement. It's the part that is near the hinges that opens/closes the door. It sounds like you also need a latch replacement (all Model X cars need new latches, just call the service center).