Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlatch Door - proper behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new MY owner who just days ago discovered the UNLATCH door (vs. unlock) feature.

Initially I was a big fan: A door would actually pop out during unlatch – requiring just a finger to grab edge of door frame and swing open the door (no door handle press required). But now it seems that this behavior isn't consistent: Sometimes doors do pop out a bit, but the latch still catches and requires another press of "Unlatch" button in the app (or engaging door handle as usual).

What's the true behavior of the UNLATCH DOOR feature? IF they're supposed to fully unlatch & pop open the door at same time so you can simply swing door open easily from the door frame, then I'm hoping this is something I can get Tesla service to adjust so all doors will consistently show this desired behavior.

I'm a new MY owner who just days ago discovered the UNLATCH door (vs. unlock) feature.

Initially I was a big fan: A door would actually pop out during unlatch – requiring just a finger to grab edge of door frame and swing open the door (no door handle press required). But now it seems that this behavior isn't consistent: Sometimes doors do pop out a bit, but the latch still catches and requires another press of "Unlatch" button in the app (or engaging door handle as usual).

What's the true behavior of the UNLATCH DOOR feature? IF they're supposed to fully unlatch & pop open the door at same time so you can simply swing door open easily from the door frame, then I'm hoping this is something I can get Tesla service to adjust so all doors will consistently show this desired behavior.
I've noticed that the doors are kinda heavy. So, if you're parked such that car is leaning away from you (crowned roads), it might not move as intended.

But yes, it is supposed to fully unlatch... so might be worth have a service center check it out.

Its meant to just pop it open a little if your handles are iced over. People complained that when their handles were iced over, they couldnt open the door. I've never used it myself.

Tesla mobile service came to my house last week.
The tech had never seen my issue before, but once I demonstrated the behavior of all 4 passenger doors, and he saw that the "actuators" that release the door from the frame-mounted latch were working properly, he decided to try adjusting the position of the latch itself:
He loosened the two screws a bit, then tapped the latch inward (maybe 1-2mm?).

And THAT tighter grip between actuator & latch was enough to give the door enough "push" to actually disengage from the latch when pressing door release once from the inside – or pressing UNLATCH function on mobile app.

Problem solved – in extremely low-tech fashion.

Reactions: francton
Read again. Mines a different issue. When I press the unlock button from inside, sometimes the door stays latched. I can hear it “unlock”, intact can feel it move out a little bit doesn’t fully unlatch. Only way up open is through the emergency release! Has happened thrice in the past week.

They’re supposed to unlatch upon initial button press, no need to hold button to push out.

This happened intermittently between the rear doors for me.

It might be an easy fix, such as adjusting the strikers with a torx wrench, DIYable. If that doesn’t work, it might be a door misalignment that could be adjusted by service to fix the problem. Service tried both options, multiple times, unsuccessfully. In the process, damaged paint in multiple anreas and created new panel gaps, which required repainting and body work over 16 days.

May be impossible to fix as was my case. The senior service manager noted that it was due to a stamping issue, which prevented the hinges to bolt on precisely enough to pop out.

People will say it’s a small issue, but I guess an arbiter warrants it a serious enough defect to rule a full buyback of the vehicle.

I had the issue and it bothered me enough to follow up 2/3 times when I first got the car. After the service center mucked up my car multiple times, I decided it wasn’t worth trying to fix it, as service would create new problems. After a family member got a new y with perfect doors a year out, I followed upon the issues again. The service center said it was operating as normal, but I wasn’t having it (manager, two service advisors, senior service manager I worked with when I first took the car in all left within the year). They initially refused a buyback, then said they would buyback the vehicle when I sent a buyback letter. However. 6 weeks passed and after many reminders, they never offered anything. I decided to submit an arbitration request, and after submitting evidence of repair attempts and a phone call hearing, was awarded a buyback.

I bought a 2023 Model y with much better build quality and doors working as designed. With the price drops, I got a 7 seater and hitch for less than 2000 more than my model 3.

Hope this helps.

I've noticed that the doors are kinda heavy. So, if you're parked such that car is leaning away from you (crowned roads), it might not move as intended.

But yes, it is supposed to fully unlatch... so might be worth have a service center check it out.
Similar problem. Remote open from outside it unlatches partially but not enough to get fingers behind to pull open. From inside I have to continuously depress door open button to open. If I press and release, the door only partially unlatches. Can't just push open as it's still partially latched. Had in to service 3 times. Last time techs replaced whole lock mechanism. Still have same issue. Seems like could be safety issue if someone else drives my car. They won't be able to get out if they don't know they have to continuously hold unlock button down while pushing out on door.