Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Driver Only' Unlock leaves the trunk locked...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to use the Driver Only option, but I usually have a gym bag or my work stuff to toss in/out of the trunk. The trunk remains locked. I can't figure out a reason why it wouldn't unlock as it does if I unlock all 4 doors.

(Classic 60 without tech, not sure if this is same behaviour with tech)

Without the car being able to accurately position the key, it's pretty much useless, as you've found. If you approach the trunk or other doors, they stay locked. I have this feature disabled. You'll also find that remotely locking the car with the key inside does NOT work. Anyone can tap a door handle to unlock the car. If you ever forget your key in the car, it is definitely not safe to leave it that way.

So I know BMW did this right, for example. They car knows if you have the key on you, and it knows if the key is inside the cabin or trunk.

I'd love to use the Driver Only option, but I usually have a gym bag or my work stuff to toss in/out of the trunk. The trunk remains locked. I can't figure out a reason why it wouldn't unlock as it does if I unlock all 4 doors.

Works okay for me, driver only and trunk is unlocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Works okay for me, driver only and trunk is unlocked.

Can you guys define the use case better... ?

I forget what's "tech package" or not, and things (bundles) change over time.

Do you have an power hatch?

Do you have "walk away" locking feature (enabled/disabled)?

Do you have "walk up" feature (auto-present handles) (enabled / disabled)?

Do you walk up to car and push the button on the hatch and it does ... not open? (When the key is in your pocket, and you've not interacted with the key since last locking the car?) (Is the driver handle auto-presented already when you try this, or not?)

Or do you push the unlock button on fob when near the car to unlock the driver's door (and that works / presents fine) but you then push the button on the hatch and ... no open? (Does pressing unlock a second time on the fob then unlock the hatch? ... is it supposed to do this?)

I haven't played much with the "driver door only" unlocking feature.. as you can tell. I tried for a day... passengers just don't like waiting for me to do something else to let them in.

For me, I have the tech package with power hatch, walk away is enabled, walk up (present) is enabled. I can approach my (locked) car from the rear with fob in pocket and reach under the hatchback and pull the latch; the hatch door will then power open.

I think the OP was saying his doesn't work this way?

note: I also have the DRIVER ONLY option enabled.

Works for me. I have a recent 70D (Dec 2015), with Premium Interior pkg which includes the power hatch.
With Door Unlock Mode = Driver, I can walk up to the car, only the driver door handle presents, and if I pull on the trunk latch it opens.

If I walk up to the car from the rear and it remains locked (all door handles retracted), I can still pull on the trunk latch and it will open if I have the fob in my pocket.

other settings that may or may not be relevant: Walk-Away Door Lock = ON, Auto-Present Handles = ON, Unlock On Park = OFF

Last edited: