Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's side mirror staying in angled down position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... I have my X set to have the side mirrors angle down while backing up... but occasionally I'll start driving away and glance at my side mirror and notice it is still in the down position. Then I'll have to push the button and angle it back up again. This only happens with the driver's side... not the passenger side.
Anyone else?

This happens to me as well. It seems to happen when I put it in reverse for a very short time and the mirrors don't reach their fully tilted position before I put it back into drive. For some reason they stay stuck in the tilted down position in this scenario. I can either push the button to get them back up or put it back into reverse and allow it to fully cycle through the tilt process. Seems like this has been a known issue for a while. Probably low priority to fix since it's easily remedied.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Maybe it is a software bug. Or it might be that you need to do a couple of profile saves. Cost you nothing to try this.
First, Put the car in Reverse and set the mirrors where you want them. Then save that profile. Put the car in Park or Drive and position your mirrors where you want them. Then save that same profile again.
Now you can put the car in Reverse and see if mirror go to your Reverse position. If they do, put the car in Park and see if they return to the last saved position. Did this fix your problem? If not, then - maybe it is a bug. But it was worth the try, huh?

The one time this has happened to me was when I quickly switched into reverse, then drive. The mirror was still tilted, so I started to move it up and noticed the prompt to restore or save my driver profile. Clicking restore moved the mirror back into the normal driving position. Was pretty clear at that point that the car knew where the mirror was and where it should be, but just hadn't reset it properly during the rapid gear changing.

Thanks for all the responses... it's not a huge issue and I can adjust the mirror back easily enough. Just glad to see I am not the only one.

My last vehicle (Lexus SUV) had a side mirror that would start to move (just the glass part) when on the freeway... it seemed like it was jerking, trying to adjust itself... took it in & no problems found. But it always did it. Once, when texting back and forth with someone at the dealer about the issue, I was finally was told it was probably the Flux Capacitor :) - so then I promised to report back after hitting 88mph :p. At least I got a laugh out of the exchange.