Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving a gas car vs tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally scheduled a test drive on the model Y before I take delivery. My experience was fun but again a bit confusing. I know within time I would master this but I have some questions for those with experience driving a Tesla.
1. I have a gas car and when I let go of the break the car slowly starts moving forward. I didn’t experience this during my test drive. Is there an option to add this?
2. I noticed the SA was able to control the car remotely. Eg: starting it. Is this an option I’m able to do on my own tesla?

1. I have a gas car and when I let go of the break the car slowly starts moving forward. I didn’t experience this during my test drive. Is there an option to add this?

As @T35l@grl said, you can choose your option on the menu labeled as "Driving" so that your car behaves like a gasoline car: the car creeps forward if I take my foot off both accelerator and the brake pedals.

I drove gasoline cars for more than 3 decades and I've been so glad that Tesla gave me such an intuitive option: Take my foot off the accelerator and the car will not creep forward nor backward (going up a steep hill).

...2. I noticed the SA was able to control the car remotely. Eg: starting it. Is this an option I’m able to do on my own tesla?

Remote control your car is a mobile app from anywhere that has a cell phone or wi-fi signal comes as a standard feature with all current Tesla cars from the cheapest trim to the most expensive ones.

As @T35l@grl said, you can choose your option on the menu labeled as "Driving" so that your car behaves like a gasoline car: the car creeps forward if I take my foot off both accelerator and the brake pedals.

I drove gasoline cars for more than 3 decades and I've been so glad that Tesla gave me such an intuitive option: Take my foot off the accelerator and the car will not creep forward nor backward (going up a steep hill).

Remote control your car is a mobile app from anywhere that has a cell phone or wi-fi signal comes as a standard feature with all current Tesla cars from the cheapest trim to the most expensive ones.
Thank you so much for the info! I know I will eventually master the Tesla’s way of driving but coming from a gas car, I would love the option to slowly transition! Love that tesla gave us this option!

Expect the transition to happen quickly. :)

Yes - very quickly.

I'm not that much different from the OP, except I am even older and have driven gas cars over a greater span of time.

I too was nervous about learning to drive this new beast. I too wondered about the (supposedly) steep learning curve. I too wondered if I would run out of battery charge in the middle of nowhere. I too wondered if there was an option to have more dials and switches and buttons to control the car rather than having to learn to use that complicated touchscreen.

But - the transition has been much much easier than expected. Less than a day after buying it, I had mastered one-pedal driving. I soon learned my way around the touchscreen, though there is still much to learn because the Tesla does so many more things than a gas car.

Now my only problem is buying "stuff" for my Tesla. I used to ride motorcycles before age caught up with me, and it was common for riders to spend as much money on "farkles" as they did their bike.

I have only one regret in buying my Tesla - that I didn't buy one a long time ago.