Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving courses for fun and safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Any recommendations for performance vehicle courses to take in the Seattle area?

While it's not as hot off the line as a Roadster Sport, the Model S Perf is definitely more than I've had previously. I figure it might be a good idea (and fun) to level up the driver a bit.

Let's start with courses that assume you have been driving for at least 5 years (and have at least a decent driving record) but have never taken a vehicle on the track.

I am thinking of attending this event on 2/2 with my Model S and Audi A4, not sure how I get 2 cars there yet :)

University of Quattro - Audi Club Northwest

If interested, maybe we can go together. Also, we can see if other MS owners want to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a video, it looks like fun! Maybe we should organize the same type of event for the Northwest Tesla Owners Club :)

The Art of Performance Driving - YouTube

Last edited:
Are the BMW and Audi clubs only open to drivers of those cars? Will people look at me askance if I show up in a Tesla?

I was a member of the Audi club (and my other car is still an Audi), and you do have to be an Audi owner to be a member and participate in club events. However, many people didn't actually drive their Audi's in said events, but often brought other cars. I believe both Portland International Raceway and Pacific Raceways have events where you can go drive if you like. The advantage of the club events is they are not looked at as racing by the insurance companies (who won't cover anything having to do with racing), but are "safety driving" events that teach defensive driving techniques. Such events have at least a 1/2 day of required exercises such as emergency stops, object avoidance, and other exercises designed to teach you the limits of the car's handling. Once that is out of the way they usually have well-managed lapping around the course. For liability reasons I don't think you can just show up.

I got the date wrong, it should be 2/2, not 2/3.

- - - Updated - - -

Are the BMW and Audi clubs only open to drivers of those cars? Will people look at me askance if I show up in a Tesla?

I heard that many folks drive non Audi cars in the events. I will get more info about the event and post.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found more info, it is $100 for all day event and includes lunch. It also says:

An Audi car is not required for any portion of University of Quattro so feel free to invite friends and co-workers to this event. Audi Club North America membership is not required (although it is encouraged) for either the Driver’s Education exercises or autocross.

See more details at https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/AF2223E8-AF83-3CE4-1E17EA16FEB62FF0#.UP4qyy-9KK0

Last edited:
Any recommendations for performance vehicle courses to take in the Seattle area?

While it's not as hot off the line as a Roadster Sport, the Model S Perf is definitely more than I've had previously. I figure it might be a good idea (and fun) to level up the driver a bit.

Let's start with courses that assume you have been driving for at least 5 years (and have at least a decent driving record) but have never taken a vehicle on the track.

Chat with Captain_Zap. He is a club racer and instructor for PCA. He knows all the tracks in the region as well as many of the driver's ed instructors and driving school opportunities.

The speed off line isn't what really matters. :wink:

The local Porsche, BMW, Alfa Romeo, and Audi clubs all sponsor track days with driving instructors. You can even get a national Porsche Club racing license by coming up through their program. Most people, however, just want to have fun with their cars and improve their car handling skills. Some clubs don't even require you to be a member for their track days or own a car of their marque. Many of the instructors work multiple clubs. If you want the best, though, take Don Kitch's 1-day performance driving course at Pacific Raceways. http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/

Perhaps, but 4.4 0-60 is markedly different from 7.0 0-60. At least for this driver. :)

And then there's the whole lower COG aspect.

I said that speed off the line doesn't matter because I was thinking more in terms of fractions of a second. Time can be made up in the corners with good brakes, suspension, tires, technique, etc.

I was assuming that the cars would be of a similar class and fast enough to not be a hazard. You are right though, that is not always the case.