TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Driving Foot gets Cold.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Liz G, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Liz G

Liz G P03056

#1 Liz G, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    Ok, so I've noticed that I'm having a problem keeping my driving foot (right foot) warm when the weather is cold (like 32 degrees F). This only affects my driving foot (right foot) and it only happens to the driver. I've ridden with my husband driving and the passenger side foot compartment stays nice and toasty down there. And while driving my left foot stays nice and toasty. But no matter how much I crank the heat and fan I can't get my driving foot warm. The other thing I've noticed is it gets colder down there the faster I go. So for in town driving it's not really that big a deal but most of my driving is hi-way and it gets cold, almost drafty down there. I did poked around down there and it looks like there is no vent directly above the driving foot (unlike the passengers side which seems to have one directly above the left foot which would mirror the driving foot. Also, I've noticed that the vent closest to the driving foot doesn't have any fins to direct air/heat to the driving foot.

I'm thinking short term about cutting some cardboard and making some directional fins and hoping that will help keep that area warm. But I'm wondering if this is happening to others (possible design flaw) or if I have an isolated issue (production defect in my car).

Thanks all for your time.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Facinating the Roadster has this exact issue. There have been owner solutions and now tesla sells a fix too.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Funny, I've done some long trips at well below freezing temperatures, and have not noticed any such thing.

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I sometimes get a mild case of that issue in the Roadster; but we recently took a 3,000 mile trip in freezing weather in the Model S and did not notice this at all. (Believe me, my wife would have noticed and complained!). Perhaps it's just something with your car, though it's hard to imagine what it might be.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

6. tomanik

tomanik Member

7. Majerus

Majerus Member

LOL nice.. i am sure Liz will find that as an acceptable solution

8. hershey101

hershey101 Member

After spending $100K+ on a car, I don't think we should be subject to buying such products to keep our toes warm. If its a problem with one specific car then Tesla should just replace the car/fix it. If its actually a design issue, then I might seriously start reconsidering my order.

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

A joke. Hence the smiley.

I haven't noticed my toesies getting cold.

Trust me, it's a minor concern... not worth reconsidering your order.

10. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I'll keep that in mind, just in case.

I'm starting to think it's isolated to my car. I would think it was just me but my husband, who is never cold, experienced the same thing this weekend.

@hershey101 not enough of an issue that I'd stop driveng Lithie. Trust me my husband offered to let me start taking the Civic and I declined.

11. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I noticed this tool. Never had the problem in other cars.

12. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

13. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Liz

Thought I was going crazy and just thought my foot was asleep - but during some really cold days my driving foot has been cold too.

Will have to experiment with different climate settings to see what combo causes this! Anyone figure this out?

Aaron